World's most livable cities results

I enjoy visiting Melbourne but I wouldn't want to live there.

I know that there are employment issues in Adelaide.....but....it's a great place to live.

Melbourne, Adelaide ranked among world's best cities

Yahoo7 NewsAugust 18, 2015, 12:43 pm Share

melbourne_1280_1at56rb-1at56u7.jpg?x=656&sig=fBI.MdhRQTk6mLbfJ_sg1g--

Melbourne's culture, infrastructure, health and education brought it to the top of the rankings. Photo: AAPTwo Australian cities have been named in the top five list of the world’s most liveable cities, and Sydney is not one of them.

Melbourne has again topped the Economist Intelligence Unit’s Liveability Survey, with South Australia’s capital Adelaide coming in in fifth place.

It is the fifth year in a row that Melbourne has been named the best city in the world in which to live.

Vienna, Austria, has been ranked as the world’s second most liveable city, followed by Vancouver and Toronto, Canada, respectively.

Melbourne achieved a rating of 97.5, 2.5 points below the maximum score of 100, with top marks for healthcare, education and infrastructure.

Adelaide has similarly impressive results with an overall score of 96.6. Adelaide’s healthcare and education also received top marks but the city’s infrastructure was rated at 96.4.

adelaide_fringe_aap_638.jpg

Adelaide's environment and culture helped propel it into the top five. Sydney came in in seventh place behind Calgary, Alberta, Canada, with 96.1, and 100s for healthcare, education and infrastructure. It lost out to Adelaide and Melbourne due to its lower score for culture and environment, and stability.

Perth was ranked ninth with 95.9, and Auckland, New Zealand, rounded out the top 10 with 95.7.

Helsinki, Finland, took eighth place.

damascus_aap_638.jpg

Ongoing civil strife in Syria has seen its capital Damascus rated as the worst city in the world in which to live. Photo: AAPDamascus in Syria was rated as the worst city in the world to live with a score of just 30.6, coming in behind Dhaka, in Bangladesh and Port Morseby in Papua New Guinea.

Zimbabwe’s capital Harare has improved after a period of relative stability in the country but remains one of the worst places to live, alongside Tripoli, Libya, and Algiers, Algeria.

Tamara's picture of Damascus above, bears an uncanny resemblance to our suburb during hard waste collection week. I'm fairly certain I've seen those 2 fellows from the picture here as well:wink:

That used to be my actual picture of waste collection days before I moved here. Armies of vagrants going through every scrap...at least 5 'teams" God knows what the last team ever found in the bins! You wouldn't dare leave your dustbin outside...it would get melted down or someone would move into it and use it for a home....

That used to be my actual picture of waste collection days before I moved here. Armies of vagrants going through every scrap...at least 5 'teams" God knows what the last team ever found in the bins! You wouldn't dare leave your dustbin outside...it would get melted down or someone would move into it and use it for a home....

Sounds dreamy Tamara.

Have you ever considered writing a book? They say that everyone has a book in them, not sure that's true, but I'm fairly certain you have, given the length and content of some of your threads/posts.:smile:

Sounds dreamy Tamara.

Have you ever considered writing a book? They say that everyone has a book in them, not sure that's true, but I'm fairly certain you have, given the length and content of some of your threads/posts.:smile:

I have!

You don't know half of it!

OMG if I shared some of the things that we have experienced it would be like a movie script! We still call our move here "the evacuation'! We were fortunate to escape with our lives..and that is partly why Adelaide and it's way of life suits me just fine.:smile:

I have!

You don't know half of it!

OMG if I shared some of the things that we have experienced it would be like a movie script! We still call our move here "the evacuation'! We were fortunate to escape with our lives..and that is partly why Adelaide and it's way of life suits me just fine.:smile:

I knew it! Get writing then, you never know could be a best seller. There's that guy in Melbourne (I think he was a refugee from Africa) that wrote his story, it's been a hit as I understand it. Aussie's love all that journey to Aus stuff, just don't forget to mention how much you love Aussie, wonderful, brilliant, best country ever, I'm so lucky to be here, Yippie! Yes actually just keep up what your doing. They lap it up, hey presto you've told your tale and you get a huge sack of coin.

Totally understand why you love Adelaide, considering your own life experiences. Can I hear a pen being put to paper?:smile: