Bills!

chrisda

Has anyone been shocked by their utility bills lately? We have had the reverse cycle unit running more than usual and the bill is a whopper!

I wish that we have put in a gas ducted system instead.

Did you know that gas gets cheaper the more that you use but electricity gets dearer the more that you use?

We dont have it on at night and we work during the day and its still nearly $1200. Biggest bill we have had since moving here. Thank you cr@ppy winter:sad:

I've never had an electricity bill over $1000 but we did used to pay about $750 for the summer and winter quarters in the rental. In our new house the quarterly bill is usually about $450, but the quarters end mid winter and mid summer so there is always a bit of heating or cooling in the bill. We have ducted reverse cycle air conditioning but we also have insulation and UPVc double glazed windows.

I would strongly advise anyone that hasn't changed supplier or plan recently to go online and check they are getting the best deal for electricity and gas prices.

Edited by NicF

I thought I was the only one, we usually get electricity bill around $450, give or take, this quarter it was $780! Also the gas bill was much higher than usual, but I know that my kids were running the heater a lot of the time, I thought that the gate was locked and it was an estimate meter reading, but it was actual, so I called AGL and apparently, as they claim, total usage was higher and peak usage was higher, so I went up to the next tier and the calculation formula changed. I'm still trying to figure it out as our daily routine didn't change and even the pool pump runs less hours in winter and only off peak!

We had a bill for the first three weeks in July as we had to have the meter changed, it was $211 for the three weeks, roughly the same as I usually use in 3 months, and that is with a small solar system. So we have had all our downlights changed to LED to hopefully save a little more. We have also reviewed our electricity and gas plans, but don't seem to be able to save much more there. I will be so glad when the winter ends this year It seems to have gone on for ever.

Ours came in mid way through so its sort of spread the cost over two bills rather than one huge one for the winter months.

We also changed our lights over to LED's and have not been using the gas fire at all for a while but making do with just the one heater for the house. It does a good job but of course, as soon as you turn it off the house cools down quickly.

Roll on the warmer months. I think we only ran the aircon for a couple of weeks all up last summer and hoping we manage again ok this year.

I've just purchased an electricity monitor that shows how much electricity you are using at that point in time. So far the reverse cycle system is by far the most energy intensive, followed by the kettle and the toaster (only had it since last night so haven't had time to really check everything out yet). I expect the oven to also be electricity hungry. Basically anything that uses electricity to heat is going to use a lot of energy.

Yes, I think it is the reverse cycle air conditioner that is causing our problems. We have moved from running it for four hours a day in winter to nearer 7 or more this winter, and also wrap up warmly to the extent, I wear an outside coat indoors.

My neighbour has underfloor heating, which keeps her place much warmer, but I have no idea of the cost of running it. I fondly remember the days when we used to have a log fire and gather the wood ourselves!!!!

We had gas ducted heating installed two years ago and it's fantastic - just had our bill yesterday for winter $440. I programme it so it's warm when we get up in a morning - we even had a duct put in the bathroom so it's warm when you undress to take a shower in the morning. Then we'll put it on in the evening - it's zoned so we just add the bedrooms before we go to bed.

My aussie friend was telling me that she's spent $1000 on wood this winter for her log burner - apparently the way to go is buy now in bulk and store/dry the wood out for next winter??

We just got our bill for the quarter which was around $400. Apparently this is the average bill for a single person household - and we are a family of four including two young adults - one of whom insists on having his ceiling fan on all day and night, so not small users by any means. We also have a small solar installation, but obviously in winter the benefit from that is smaller. Best thing we ever did was put in a wood burner in the lounge this year. We thought really carefully about where to put it, and the right size to get. Get wood for it during the summer - usually free from ads on Gumtree where someone has had a tree cut down. Have used it just about every day this winter, and hardly had the heating on at all. It's brilliant - cozy, comforting, and obviously saving us loads of money too! Total all round winner.

Some very painful sounding bills above, one item of energy using equipment often overlooked by house holders is the TV, these have not followed the modern energy saving trend. If you find yourself with a bored moment, dig out the handbook, or if lost look for the sticker on the back of the set (usually silver) look for the watts eg 500W. Some really big TV's can be like running a heater, if the kids have one each, and you all sit in separate rooms watching them, bye bye hard earned cash:shocked:.

We have been back to the UK recently over some of the Adelaide winter months (although the UK summer sometimes felt like winter!!) and came back to a $400 in credit electricity bill from our solar. We had our 3kw solar system fitted almost 4 years ago now and since then we haven't paid an electricity or gas bill (we use the unused credit to cover the gas bill) but usually just scrape through over winter, so the credit was very well received by us!

You have to keep an eye on discounts available and ask for them. With our gas, we used to get 7% discount if we paid the bill on time, then I spotted an advert for the same company offering 10% so I rang up and got 10%, at the weekend I saw an advert in the paper offering 21%, so I have rang up and hey presto they are now giving me 21% pay on time discount and the supply rate has dropped by 1c a day as well (I won't go mad spending that!), but it all helps and in my experience if you don't ask, you don't get!

You have to keep an eye on discounts available and ask for them. With our gas, we used to get 7% discount if we paid the bill on time, then I spotted an advert for the same company offering 10% so I rang up and got 10%, at the weekend I saw an advert in the paper offering 21%, so I have rang up and hey presto they are now giving me 21% pay on time discount and the supply rate has dropped by 1c a day as well (I won't go mad spending that!), but it all helps and in my experience if you don't ask, you don't get!

Would you like to share the company, very interested!

Yesterday I had a free energy assessment under a State Govt. scheme called YESS. It is available to all concession card holders and is FREE.

They can replace old style globes and shower heads, advise on energy consumption and the way to save costs, both gas and electric and in our case, gave us a power board which switches power off standby without having to remember to flick the plug.

Shortly I am having all the halogen down lights replaced by LED for $5 per light, under the same scheme. I didn't realise such a scheme existed, but it is open to all householders once. I believe non concession card holders are eligible for the free energy saving products, too.

Apparently the scheme is funded by Power companies.

Check out the info on the YESS site http://yess.net.au/energy_efficient_products.html

It's also a good idea to check when your energy plan expires. They typically run for a 12 month period. After that the utility company may default you to a higher tariff.

• 2 weeks later...