For the new arrivals, or those arriving soon

snifter

It was being discussed over on our sister site, Poms in Oz and I thought I should come back here and cobble together a post on it as it is a pretty important thing to be aware of and many are not.

UV. Needs paying attention to now spring is here. A few things to be aware of

* What is UV? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_index

* UV rating changes throughout the day. Anything over a 3 requires the sunscreen, a hat if possible and anything else you want to chuck at it. If its over 5, I'd definately be wearing a hat, seeking shade in the middle of the day (and possibly an hour or two either side if its really strong).

You can check the UV rating here. http://www.bom.gov.au/sa/uv/adelaide.shtml

You can also download some weather apps that update UV rating over the day and give the forecasted high UV for the day. Worthwhile spending a few $$ if need be.

SunSmart weather app info - http://www.cancer.org.au/preventing-cancer/sun-protection/uv-alert/sunsmart-app.html

* UV isn't just there when its clear skies and sunshine. Its there on the cloudy days too. So check the UV rating and suncream up, even on the cloudy days.

SunSmart info, worth a read http://www.cancer.org.au/preventing-cancer/sun-protection/preventing-skin-cancer

* Educate your kids. It will be done at school but often when kids get home they don't want to put suncream on or top up or wear a hat out. Try to keep the sun smart theme going at home as well and it becomes second nature.

* Rash vests, sun hats (they make UV rated ones for kids and adults) and decent sunscreen. Also decent UV sunglasses.

* Top up the suncream. If you apply the kids suncream as the last thing before heading out the door in the morning, then it should be enough to last them over the day (no afternoon recess here so not out to play once lunch is over). However, if the kids are able, topping up before they eat their lunch isn't a bad thing. Lots of kids have the little clip on tubes on their bags (although am not sure how many actually top up from these). Also as they get older and do sports outside or if its done later in the day, having a tube to top up with is handy.

Same with adults, don't forget to top up. Carry a roll on or small tube in your bag or keep one in your drawer at work if you are going to be heading home and walking any distance.

Don't forget about the tips of your ears, round the back of them and other places you may neglect, hands, toes/feet and backs of arms. Basically, if the sun can get on it, slap some on there.

* Tinted windows - Not just in the car but the house too. If you can't get windows tinted on the car or it doesn't have them, try the window socks (window shades) for the back windows to protect the kids from the harsh glare. Not just the stick on ones but the netted ones you pull down right over the window inside and out.

Here is one site that explains about Window socks - http://www.shevron.com.au/our-products/baby-days-products/window-sox-sunshade/

Edited by snifter
edited

My skin always improves in the summer because of the amount of sun cream and moisturiser I use. I neglect it in winter and it dries up!

It it soon becomes second nature to slap it on after a shower.

only thing I hate are the yellow stains on white clothes, sheets and my leather sofa. Any tips for avoiding these?

I tried a few suncreams to find one that doesn't stain. We use Banana Boat factor 50 for kids on us. Hubby uses the BB sport one and the BB kids one on his face. Doesn't stain clothes. I buy it on special when its $10 a bottle and stock up. Usually Woolies or Coles will rotate the promotion. Never buy it at $20 a bottle.

I tried a few suncreams to find one that doesn't stain. We use Banana Boat factor 50 for kids on us. Hubby uses the BB sport one and the BB kids one on his face. Doesn't stain clothes. I buy it on special when its $10 a bottle and stock up. Usually Woolies or Coles will rotate the promotion. Never buy it at $20 a bottle.

we use BB too still stains though.

I'm shocking at remembering to put lotion on, and I work outdoors!

A friend in the UK just can some cancer cut off her nose. Even after seeing that I forgot to put lotion on for the first couple of hours I was at work.

I haven't really noticed staining, but I always manage to get it in my eyes! I hate the stuff! I have oily skin anyway, so adding, and then sweat too, yuck!

we use BB too still stains though.

Hmm, its the only one I've found that doesn't. Odd. I used a couple of others, one a Coles own brand and it was horrible. Stung our eyes badly whenever a tiny bit of sweat or whatever ran down our faces, left big marks on clothes. Binned it pretty quick.

No the factor 30 or 50 sport one. Lotion not spray. Although we did use the Coles one for a while and Nivea but they all seem to stain to some extent!

i did look it up and it is one of the chemicals they now use that helps to stop you looking like a ghost, they all seem to have it in, maybe BB has less, or it could be a reaction to my detergent?

I'm shocking at remembering to put lotion on, and I work outdoors!

A friend in the UK just can some cancer cut off her nose. Even after seeing that I forgot to put lotion on for the first couple of hours I was at work.

I haven't really noticed staining, but I always manage to get it in my eyes! I hate the stuff! I have oily skin anyway, so adding, and then sweat too, yuck!

Tsk, you need to get better at the slip slop slap thingo :biggrin: Encourages little ones to be sun aware too if they see us doing it. Son won't make a fuss if its a school day re the sun cream and hat but the weekends he does like to grumble sometimes. We point blank refuse to change or let it slide though so all of us are slapping it on before we head out the door.

It was being discussed over on our sister site, Poms in Oz and I thought I should come back here and cobble together a post on it as it is a pretty important thing to be aware of and many are not.

UV. Needs paying attention to now spring is here. A few things to be aware of

* What is UV? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_index

* UV rating changes throughout the day. Anything over a 3 requires the sunscreen, a hat if possible and anything else you want to chuck at it. If its over 5, I'd definately be wearing a hat, seeking shade in the middle of the day (and possibly an hour or two either side if its really strong).

You can check the UV rating here. http://www.bom.gov.au/sa/uv/adelaide.shtml

You can also download some weather apps that update UV rating over the day and give the forecasted high UV for the day. Worthwhile spending a few $$ if need be.

SunSmart weather app info - http://www.cancer.org.au/preventing-cancer/sun-protection/uv-alert/sunsmart-app.html

* UV isn't just there when its clear skies and sunshine. Its there on the cloudy days too. So check the UV rating and suncream up, even on the cloudy days.

SunSmart info, worth a read http://www.cancer.org.au/preventing-cancer/sun-protection/preventing-skin-cancer

* Educate your kids. It will be done at school but often when kids get home they don't want to put suncream on or top up or wear a hat out. Try to keep the sun smart theme going at home as well and it becomes second nature.

* Rash vests, sun hats (they make UV rated ones for kids and adults) and decent sunscreen. Also decent UV sunglasses.

* Top up the suncream. If you apply the kids suncream as the last thing before heading out the door in the morning, then it should be enough to last them over the day (no afternoon recess here so not out to play once lunch is over). However, if the kids are able, topping up before they eat their lunch isn't a bad thing. Lots of kids have the little clip on tubes on their bags (although am not sure how many actually top up from these). Also as they get older and do sports outside or if its done later in the day, having a tube to top up with is handy.

Same with adults, don't forget to top up. Carry a roll on or small tube in your bag or keep one in your drawer at work if you are going to be heading home and walking any distance.

Don't forget about the tips of your ears, round the back of them and other places you may neglect, hands, toes/feet and backs of arms. Basically, if the sun can get on it, slap some on there.

* Tinted windows - Not just in the car but the house too. If you can't get windows tinted on the car or it doesn't have them, try the window socks (window shades) for the back windows to protect the kids from the harsh glare. Not just the stick on ones but the netted ones you pull down right over the window inside and out.

Here is one site that explains about Window socks - http://www.shevron.com.au/our-products/baby-days-products/window-sox-sunshade/

Thank you for this important thread.

I once attended a presentation by a professor that ran the burns unit at a Red Cross Children's Hospital. My OH was raising funds from an open day at one of their fire stations and I was fortunate to be a guest at the presentation. One aspect of his speech stuck with me. He said that for the same amount of exposure (hot water, oil, sunlight) that an adult may have then the burn would be more severe for a child...because children's skin is thinner.

It's so important to cover up in summer. The skin cancer rates in Australia are horrendous.