Final Farewells ?????

Guest Maddisons

Guest Maddisons

Dear All

Can I pick your brains ?

Paula's mum, dad and sister are travelling down to the airport to see us off and of course the grandparents are waving off the grand kids.

I personally believe this could be too upsetting for the kids (seeing grandma and grandad crying) and I think that we should say our goodbyes the night before.

What do you think?

Jason (37) Electrician

:):sad:

Dear All

Can I pick your brains ?

Paula's mum, dad and sister are travelling down to the airport to see us off and of course the grandparents are waving off the grand kids.

I personally believe this could be too upsetting for the kids (seeing grandma and grandad crying) and I think that we should say our goodbyes the night before.

What do you think?

Jason (37) Electrician

Well we know what you mean. We are heading to Heathrow tomorrow night and as it is we will have 3 cars of mums, dads and sisters etc.

We would have prefered to have sid goodbyes before leaving for airport but its very hard to say no when told theres no way they are doing that!

Goodbyes are going to be hard where ever they are and im afriad i dont think there is an answer. I can understand the relations wanting to be there and i can obviously see our side as well.!!

The last few weeks have not been ideal saying goodbyes anyway and we are so looking forward to sitting on that plane tomorrow night! even if we feel like **** !! It will soon pass and im afraid its something we are not the first to go through and will deffo not be last.

At the end of day enjoy it the best you can. If enjoy is the right word for it!

Good luck

Guest Kiki

Hi there

I Know what you mean it is a difficult one. We arent leaving till Jan I have booked us to fly out of Manchester as a deterent to family members wanting to see us off. I think the week leading up to the move will be hard enough never mind the airport farewells too. im never good at farewells at the best of times.

Good luck and safe trip to both of you.

Kimberley x:wubclub:

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Dear All

Can I pick your brains ?

What do you think?

Jason (37) Electrician

I would try and discourage it if you can! They have to drive back all upset, I know what that is like when you wave off a visitor here.

But if they are deternined to come.there isnt much you can do about it I suppose:sad:.

sarah

I would have to agree with Sarah - we did our goodbyes the night before, spent a night in the airport hotel and had calmed down and were ready to start our new lives by the time we checked in. The goodbyes were horrendous - certainly for me an and Andy - Thomas was 5 at the time and thought that it was funny, mum and dad crying (well I was sobbing uncontrolably!). It took me a good couple of hours to calm down too. If you can dissuade them - I would, but if not you're gonna have to go with the flow. Good Luck with whatever you decide and all the best for your journey!

Lindsey

Guest Hansonhouse

We have already warned our family that we are planning to say all of our goodbyes the night before then having a taxi to Heathrow or hire car (we are in Nottingham) alone.

We agree that it would just be so emotional for the kids and that we want to start the adventure as we would, starting a holiday, getting excited going to the airport. We'll probably feel sad but not as bad as having to say goodbyes at the airport and looking at crying faces as we depart.

As we have planted the seeds already and explained why, they have all said that they can see that it would be a better departure for the boys.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Roz

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Totally agree with the others say your goodbyes from the house, it is a horrible experience and the airport will only drag the inevitable out, once you are on your own you will feel a hundred times better I promise you,

Good luck

Guzzler

Guest jojo
Dear All

Can I pick your brains ?

What do you think?

Jason (37) Electrician

Hi there

I def agree with everyone, we didnt have anyone at the airport and I can say I am glad I didnt. We said our goodbyes before we left to go in the taxi, which was bad enough.

You have so much to sort out at the airport and all the stress of it all, so personally go by yourself if you can, however if they are set on coming there is nothing you can do about it, only explain how you feel about it and the kids getting upset.

I personally thought my work friends were going to turn up to check if I was actually going!:confused:

I said to everyone, Remember its not goodbye its see you soon!:)

Good luck with your flights and your new life.

Jo xx

Have to agree with Guzzler and Sas I'm afraid. We told our families that there was no way they were coming to the airport to say goodbye as it would just be too upsetting for everyone. The children were too young to have to see their parents and grandparents so distressed. If Paula's family are adamant there's not much you can do, but if I were you I'd be doing my best to persuade them to say goodbye the day before.:(

Guest Guest75

I'll agree and say see your family off at their homes.

You will be rushing/panicking at the airport - you can all do without the added stress.

We were to be taken to the airport by a family member,but they were so late that we nearly missed the flight.Talk about stress that day!!!!!:goofy::goofy:

Guest dinawayneandkids

:sad:I have to agree with most people when we left adelaide last year to come back to the uk my family came to see us off which we thought was great but lookin back wished we had gone on our own it was hard on everyone especially the kids who were a bit taken aback by all the cryin' .We are returning to adelaide this year and have told all our family and friends we will be saying goodbye the day before no matter how much they insist. It is too much to expect you to start a long haul flight emotionally drained and it may freak the kids out abit try and stick to your guns and explain why you want to do it this way.

Good luck dina:cute:

Hi - We had both our sets of parents at the airport.........Id put a similar note on the forums myself before flying and had mixed responses, but the majority didnt think it was a good idea............................ however, both our parents were adamant that they'd be there to see us all off (make sure we'd definitely gone!.lol)...it was very emotional for all, including our 2 daughters. But as soon as we were through to departure, the tears were gone and we were all excited.

I think its emotional where ever you say goodbyes - I was worse saying goodbye to my sister at home.

For us, we had to listen to what our parents wanted as well.......its all horses for courses, but its difficult whatever.

sarahxx