Disability Parking clampdown

Tamara (Homes Down Under)

This is something that we all see every day.

Do you think that unwarranted parking in a disabled bay should carry fines and demerit points?

I have a family member who has a disability disc but they rarely use it..they have good and bad days and a recent period of being able to deal with the illness has resulted in normal parking as "there are much more deserving people than me". Winter and progress of the disease may change this.

I see delivery people, tradies in utes and all sorts of abuse. There seems to be a reluctance for retailers (Bunnings for example) to take action as they are more afraid of losing custom than making parking accessible for those who genuinely need it.

Any thoughts out there?

Low-life motorists: New crackdown on disabled parking

December 5, 2015 8:34amDAVID NANKERVISThe Advertiser

Brazil: Driver taught a lesson for parking in disabled bay

external?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent6.video.news.com.au%2F9vMTV2dTo9u98V0HK5lqp19ZIFaB1drz%2Fpromo259549962&width=650&api_key=kq7wnrk4eun47vz9c5xuj3mc

player

LOW-LIFE motorists who used disabled car parking spaces will be hit with demerit points as well as a fine, the State Government says.

The news comes after drivers received hundreds of such fines for illegal parking in shopping centres last financial year and as car parks become crowded with pre-Christmas shoppers.

Should motorists without permits lose demerit points for being in disabled parking spaces?

YesNo

VoteView ResultsPolldaddy.com

Dignity for Disability MP Kelly Vincent said she was delighted the Government had backed her call for tougher of penalties against “selfish’’ drivers who park illegally in spaces reserved for the disabled.

Ms Vincent said the issue was a “big problem’’ — especially this month, when drivers struggle to find parking spaces during peak periods.

“It’s not just about courtesy that people don’t steal carparks — it is also illegal,’’ Ms Vincent said.

“People might think they are saving a few minutes by parking in a reserved spot but a $349 fine would have a significant impact on their Christmas budget’’.

about Adelaide

index&domain=adelaidenow.com.au

Ms Vincent believes introducing a demerit point penalty would make many motorists think again about using a car park reserved for the disabled.

Illegal parking in disabled zones has even spawned its own Facebook page — Disability Parking Wall of Shame.

Transport Minister Stephen Mulligan said the Government was “more than happy to support’’ Ms Vincent’s push for a demerit-point penalty.

a125bb887b22a474b328131fd4ffc0ec?width=650Terry Burton with his permit, said he often can’t get a disabled park at shopping centres. Picture: Tom Huntley“I met with Kelly Vincent after she raised the proposal to introduce demerit points for people who illegally park in spaces reserved for people with disabilities,’’ Mr Mullighan said.

“We are currently working through the details of this, including whether the changes are best made through legislation or regulation, and how we can share information between the councils, which are generally responsible for issuing the fines, and the Government, which manages the demerit-point system.”

Earlier this year, NSW introduced a demerit-point penalty for the offence and increased the fine to $531.

Last financial year, Tea Tree Gully Council issued 11,680 fines totalling more than $600,000 for illegal parking in shopping centres, including the Tea Tree Plaza site. This included 313 fines for parking in a disabled spot without a permit.

Marion Council issued more than 4000 fines for illegal parking at the Westfield Marion site alone in the same period, including 31 fines for parking in a disabled spot.

9fe5bd68c3c62395bea8beab98d847fe?width=316&api_key=e62jprfqb37dchg3qzg2jujrDignity for Disability MP Kelly VincentCharles Sturt Council issued 378 fines at the Westfield Westlakes site, 48 for parking in a disabled zone.

The Adelaide City Council has issued more than 379 such fines this year while police fined 58 drivers parking illegally in disabled zones on public roads last financial year.

Ms Vincent said spaces were specifically reserved for those with a disability for good reasons, including safety concerns if people need to unload wheelchairs or mobility frames.

“If there are no reserved spaces for us to park it also effects our ability to interact with the community, because we don’t have an opportunity to go to that venue,’’ she said.

Disabled driver permit holder Terry Burton said he “often can’t get a disabled park” at shopping centres.

“I do see people all year round who park illegally but especially when it’s busy like Christmas holidays,’’ the 66-year-old Ferryden Park resident said.

Yeah. I think they should be fined. I do have a friend who got shouted at this week for parking in a disabled spot. Some woman having a huge go at her, except it was actually a parent space, which she is, and was indeed with her child. :-/

But do you think that they should attract demerit points? 12 points and you are on public transport!

But do you think that they should attract demerit points? 12 points and you are on public transport!

If it stops people from using them then yes I do. Disabled people get additional rights when it comes to parking to allow them to access areas that they wouldn't other wise be able to access and it is completely wrong for people without a need for the parking spaces to abuse them. Life is hard enough for people with disabilities without some able bodied people going around making things even harder for them. I'm just sorry this wasn't introduced sooner.

And in case anyone is wondering, no I don't have a disability and I don't personally know anyone that does either.

If it stops people from using them then yes I do. Disabled people get additional rights when it comes to parking to allow them to access areas that they wouldn't other wise be able to access and it is completely wrong for people without a need for the parking spaces to abuse them. Life is hard enough for people with disabilities without some able bodied people going around making things even harder for them. I'm just sorry this wasn't introduced sooner.

And in case anyone is wondering, no I don't have a disability and I don't personally know anyone that does either.

It's a difficult one to police.

There's the clear cut case of not displaying a disability disc. The system is however open to abuse. What stops the spouse or relative borrowing the disc to make parking easier?

I do agree with you though. I do have a disabled family member and although things are pretty "good" at the moment there were times that even walking a few paces was excruciating. We were looking at getting our vehicle converted to take a disability scooter.

There are many inconsiderate, lazy and ignorant people out there. I am surprised that wheel clamps are not in use too!

Absolutely. I've only ever parked in a disabled spot once in my life, and that was because I had a disabled person in my car with a card. Believe me, when I was heavily pregnant I would have LOVED to have been able to use them rather than hobble across the hot car park, but I didn't, because I don't believe it's right.

It's VERY easy to keep all your points. Don't do anything wrong. I never even give public transport a second thought, because I don't need to. If people are close to losing their licence then they need to have a hard look at themselves and change their ways. That's the whole idea of points. You make a mistake, and you learn to be more careful. Parking in a disabled space isn't even a mistake, it's selfish ignorance.

Disabled people get additional rights when it comes to parking to allow them to access areas that they wouldn't other wise be able to access and it is completely wrong for people without a need for the parking spaces to abuse them. Life is hard enough for people with disabilities without some able bodied people going around making things even harder for them.

I absolutely agree. Slap them with demerit points, a fine, clamp, whatever it takes.

I have a friend who has a disability hanger-thing, because of her daughter. She either can't get a park, or has people abusing her because she has no visible disability.

I would have no sympathy with anyone incurring a penalty because they choose to take a park from its intended recipient. However short a time they plan to be.

Grr!

:wubclub: LC

I absolutely agree. Slap them with demerit points, a fine, clamp, whatever it takes.

I have a friend who has a disability hanger-thing, because of her daughter. She either can't get a park, or has people abusing her because she has no visible disability.

I would have no sympathy with anyone incurring a penalty because they choose to take a park from its intended recipient. However short a time they plan to be.

Grr!

:wubclub: LC

People forget also that you can't always see a disability. Some people NEED to get to a toilet quickly. They can't hold on. They might even be able to run! But it's still a disability.

People forget also that you can't always see a disability. Some people NEED to get to a toilet quickly. They can't hold on. They might even be able to run! But it's still a disability.

Disability does take in a broad spectrum of cases. It can also affect people to differing degrees at different times.

I think that a more proactive approach from shopping centre management would prevent many infringements...more warning signage, a few publicized wheel clamps...and less people would abuse the system.