Keeping cool

John Browning

For evaporative systems put them on during the morning before it gets too hot...low speed and keep the temperature under control (mid 20's).

When night time arrives there's often a sharp drop in temperature...time to turn off the aircons and let the breeze blow through the house.

Shut down the house. Close the curtains. Close the roller shutters...keep the heat out.

Switch to fans when the nights are hot.

Yeah, we do pretty much as Tamara says - shut curtains, windows etc - because we don't have any of that fancy air conditioning lol.

I also use wet towels for the dogs to lie on, ice blocks for their water, take them down the beach when it's early (so they're soggy and tired for a while!), etc.

I have slept outside a couple of times, which was beautiful, but I got bitten A LOT, so won't be doing it this year unless we get a new lounge!

We did get a ceiling fan installed a few years ago, but otherwise we're ok with stand fans for the bedrooms, and lounge room.

LC

I had a real problem with a double storey house. No matter what I did i couldn't prevent the heat in the upper rooms. I had reflective heat reflective window coatings placed on the windows. I had two twirley birds (whatever they are called!) installed in the roof and finally roller shutters installed on the windows...loads of $!!! Made no difference and the upper rooms cooked in summer...up to 38 degrees. The evap made no difference at all.

Finally installed two wall splits in the upper rooms which handled the heat...but at a cost.

The solution in the end turned out to be a simple one. The roof tiles had been painted a dark grey colour so we sprayed them a light colour and problem solved...hasn't gone over 30 since...:smile:

I had a real problem with a double storey house. No matter what I did i couldn't prevent the heat in the upper rooms

The solution in the end turned out to be a simple one. The roof tiles had been painted a dark grey colour so we sprayed them a light colour and problem solved...hasn't gone over 30 since...

That was inspired!! :notworthy:

I always thought heat upstairs was unavoidable, y'know hot air rising?, but that was so clever!

Really, truly, impressive!

:wubclub: LC

• 3 weeks later...