Just arrived...eeek

wozzie2202

Well after battling travelling with o full blown cold and man flu for the other half, a ropey 2 days in Singapore feeling rough, we've finally arrived in Adelaide and are settling in to our temp accommodation in Semaphore. Got to say, it wasn't until we landed where i thought.."oh, sh%$, what have we done!!"...I'm hoping this is a common feeling:err:...i think we're a little shell shocked and overwhelmed and the usual thoughts of "is this going to work, where do we start, etc" are quite normal. We don't pick up a car till Monday so feeling a little limbless but other half has already switched on the AFL and is settled nicely on the couch!! Girls are taking it in their stride and I just feel slightly panicked!

How did others feel when they first landed?

Cheers

Sarah

Welcome to South Australia!

I remember when we arrived. We'd never been here before, had no one here for us, and suddenly it just seemed overwhelming.

The journey from the airport (way tinier than it is now) started off well, but then we drove up along South Road, I looked at the shops, and they looked so mean and kinda shabby somehow. Not my dream at all.

We went straight to our On Arrival Accomodation, which was a furnished housing trust property kindly rented to us by the state. The house was bare, except for essentials (and a TV!) and I remember thinking, "We left our lovely sunny home for this?". We needed some shopping so we went out, bought stuff and hired a car - I insisted; I couldn't bear to feel trapped. We drove to Glenelg which looked tattier than I imagined it would ( a fair bit has been built since we arrived).

All in all, I felt shipwrecked; emotionally and physically drained.

Over the next few days, we had to get to grips with recreating our life. In so doing, we met some lovely people and things started looking up. I don't think we've looked back since:smile:.

Be kind to yourself. You might be suffering the effects of jet lag, as well as a kind of bereavement - loss of 'roots', country, home, friends, and family.

I don't know if that helps. I hope so.

:wubclub: LC

Welcome to Aus :)

I agree with much of what Lazy Cow said. And yes, those feelings are quite normal :)

Jet lag can often play havoc with your emotions on a big move like this so be kind to yourself. And that there is no return ticket can make it seem overwhelming sometimes. I didn't have the 'what had we done' moment after we arrived though I did sometimes struggle in the early weeks with feeling hemmed in as tho we had use of a car it wasn't our own and I didn't like to drive it unless I had to (ie shopping or school run 3.5km away as we opted for that one over Glenelg primary round the corner). Also we were staying with family and as lovely as they are, its not the same as having your own place for your own family. Also my husband started work pretty much that first Monday (we arrived on a Friday) and so I was left to it to sort out most things and while that was fine, it was still a drain on me. I remember shedding a few tears the first morning my son started school. It was once he had gotten his uniform on and had the big school hat on and was ready to go and seeing his little face, smiling but nervous I had to run inside as I had 'forgotten to pick up' something or other and had a few tears out of sight of him and hubby. I felt so bad we had taken him away from his friends and everything he knew to bring him here. I was worried about his making friends, liking his new school and so much more for him. The key thing for me was always if he wasn't happy I wasn't going to be happy so I did my utmost to make sure things were ok. Of course, he took it all in his stride and loved his new school, made some great mates, joined the local footy (AFL) club and more. I was worrying before I had of course but of course you do.

And like LC the drive from the airport can be rather an assault to the senses as often its not the prettiest or nicest drive, depending on which route you take. I'd seen them all before I moved over too so it wasn't a new thing but I did sit and boggle at them over again when we moved over. Even after 2.5 years here I still find those shops along the main routes rather garish and unpleasant on the eye (its more American looking and I never liked that aspect of the US either tbf) but driving along those roads most days I'm now blinkered to it all and simply filter it out. I've an eye for the little shopping villages and mini malls and stuff though :cute:

Semaphore is up along the coast so you'll be able to walk to the beach, local shops and stuff and find your feet locally there till you find a longer term rental I am sure. Once you have the car you can hit West Lakes Westfield mall and start exploring further afield which will make all the difference. And you've a few weeks breather with the kids in terms of schools as they break up the end of next week for 2 weeks. So the girls can have a rest too (did they get a school holiday before they left the UK?) and hopefully start at their new school for term 2.

Enjoy the weekend and relax as much as you can would be my approach. Once Monday ticks round then offices and places are open and the round of trips to places like Centrelink and so on will start.

My one tip re Centrelink would be to find a small office if you can or else get to the big one first thing the minute they open. Else you could be sitting round waiting for a long time. Or if its just Medicare you are after, check out the opening hours and if the Medicare section is open on a Saturday morning, head there then as its usually much quieter (Centrelink part closed) and you get seen far more quickly I've found. Ensure you have your full visa grant letter with the official heading and emblem etc at the top/bottom of the page. Don't just print out the wording as they want to see it in full, with CO name and so on signing off at the end. We printed it all off but the header part with the emblem and stuff and it wasn't acceptable so we had to reprint it with that on. Meant going back a second time which was a bit frustrating.

And give us a shout if you need anything. Happy to help. Also happy to catch up at any point (my 7yo son always happy to make new friends too).

Edited by snifter
eta

Very understandable you have left everything you know and gone to somewhere you don't know and it takes time to finally feel "at home "

We were lucky enough to have relatives to help but often it was the feeling ie I would go into the city and think I won't bump into anyone I know

That changes with time though like everything else

Take each day as it comes get through the chores ie Centrelink etc ,get out and about as much as you can to get a feel of the place and good luck you will get there

It's a shame your stopover in Singapore wasn't as enjoyable as it could have been - we took 2 days there too and had a great time...

And you're right the drive as you leave the airport is so uninspiring - nothing like the image of Australia you have in your head; for a start there a re no kangaroos to be seen! but Semaphore is a lovely area to start off in - even settle in; if we'd stayed in the city it's one of the few areas I'd have considered. The large houses on the esplanade, the shops and wide, wide main street are lovely and they dolook Australian with their verandas and views to the sea. Hopefully as your heads clear from the snuffles and your jet-lag diminishes you'll begin to feel happier with it all.

We were house sitting when we first arrived so we had the distraction of the dog but even so, the suburb we were in really didn't impress the children and we had to work hard to show them Australian stuff and get them to realise that we were not on holiday so not everything would be day trips and fun stuff but making sure there was enough of that to keep them gee-d up and not too homesick. It's a difficult balance.

Like Snifter says, with it being school holidays there maybe a few people around to meet with; we have a 10 year old daughter and like I said, I'm a bit partial to Semaphore so give us shout - if you're up to and not too busy running around with your to-do list.

Hi there, we arrived twelve months ago and it is only now that we are starting to feel settled. It's such a big move and I must say that for us the first year has been an emotional roller coaster! It is hard...but we do feel it's all worth it. The kids settled faster than us, we underestimated them so much! Alls good...apart from the fact that I still don't have work! But Craig does and has done since the second week we arrived, so not all bad! if you need any advice ect, or just want a chat, please don't hesitate to message me.

welcome to Adelaide

Sam

Completely normal to feel what you are feeling. If you can, try and enjoy the "newness' of everything......four years in for us and life is pretty much normal and I miss those early feelings sometimes. Not to say life is dull, there is still so many things to discover and I still gaze in wonder at the amazing skies, the birds, the scale of Australia, it's just those first few months are just such a crazy, unique time. Bite sized chunks as well - give yourselves a target each day for things to sort - you can't recreate a new life in a few weeks so go with the flow :)

Hi Sam,

Re: getting a job ................. Have you tried volunteering in the short term ? Helped me when I first arrived. I can only speak from my experience, but I was advised that it would be help to get a job if I had an Australian referee, which I got from the manager who I volunteered for. What work are you looking for ?

J

Hi Sam - we arrived a week ago and we're living up in the Barossa valley which is an hours drive to the centre. We felt the same when we first arrived and only by getting out and about, stopping and walking about the lovely areas (including the city and Henley beach) have we slowly started to find our way about. We think it will take time to settle into the communities and will join as many local clubs as we can!!

Hi,

jet lag can be different for everyone and certainly will make you feel all over the place.

My advice would be to get things done step by step and make sure you take time to relax and enjoy yourselves. It can be great making new friends and going to bbq's etc, but it can feel like your constantly on the move.

Cheers,

Cooler

Hi Sam,

Re: getting a job ................. Have you tried volunteering in the short term ? Helped me when I first arrived. I can only speak from my experience, but I was advised that it would be help to get a job if I had an Australian referee, which I got from the manager who I volunteered for. What work are you looking for ?

J

Hi, thanks for the advice, I am actually looking into volunteering. I'm prepared to do it for as long as needed. I had an interview yesterday so waiting to hear from that. I have 9 years retail experience, working for a homeware store.

Thanks for all your words of motivation and advice. Starting to feel better now we have managed to get Medicare and licences sorted, bought a car and now just need to secure a longer term rental so got some viewings booked in. I think when you first arrive, it's the newness of everything but it's all coming back to us now as to why we wanted to make the move in the first place...and the sunshine can never dampen your spirits for long. ?

Thanks for all your words of motivation and advice. Starting to feel better now we have managed to get Medicare and licences sorted, bought a car and now just need to secure a longer term rental so got some viewings booked in. I think when you first arrive, it's the newness of everything but it's all coming back to us now as to why we wanted to make the move in the first place...and the sunshine can never dampen your spirits for long. 

You will get there....good luck x