How cold is cold?!

Becks22

Hi all, we are hoping to arrive early July, but we are packing up our house at the end of May and living out of suitcases at my parents for June. As a result, we will have to make sure we have summer and winter clothes in the optomistic hope that June in England is warm. How cold is July/ August in Adelaide? Are we talking jumpers and a jacket or full on English winter coats needed? I've looked at the average temperatures from previous years but, for example, its apparently only 15 degrees here today but its quite muggy and I'm rather warm! Not shorts warm but still, wouldn't want much more than a thin jacket, but if the wind was icy, I would!

Any advice would help with our packing. We should have a 40kg limit each (4 of us) but I imagine that when you emigrate, this seems like no where near enough compared to a holiday so want to pack as wise as possible!

thanks

I was in Adelaide last July/August and was fine with a waterproof thin jacket and jeans, and scarf if i was feeling the chill when out and about. It was indoors that I was colder, depends on the property, but where I was staying didn't have the best insulation, so found myself cold at nights, and no heating to put on for an hour to warm the place up. I wore a hoodie to bed on a couple of occasions! You can always pick up cheapy blankets when you arrive for cooler nights etc.

Hi all, we are hoping to arrive early July, but we are packing up our house at the end of May and living out of suitcases at my parents for June. As a result, we will have to make sure we have summer and winter clothes in the optomistic hope that June in England is warm. How cold is July/ August in Adelaide? Are we talking jumpers and a jacket or full on English winter coats needed? I've looked at the average temperatures from previous years but, for example, its apparently only 15 degrees here today but its quite muggy and I'm rather warm! Not shorts warm but still, wouldn't want much more than a thin jacket, but if the wind was icy, I would!

Any advice would help with our packing. We should have a 40kg limit each (4 of us) but I imagine that when you emigrate, this seems like no where near enough compared to a holiday so want to pack as wise as possible!

thanks

Its not outdoors you need to worry about its indoors, pack loads of blankets fleece's hoodies etc for wearing in the evenings.

We do have shops here you know so if you find you are colder or warmer than expected you can always buy something to keep you going until your stuff arrives.

Otherwise I agree with what has been said above - it's inside you will feel the cold most, especially in the evenings. One of the first things I bought when we arrived in July was a big, fluffy dressing gown from K-mart for about $20. I've had quite a bit of wear from it while sitting on the sofa in the evening and it's still going strong nearly 4 years later.

Well we are still in autumn and Monday at work (i work outdoors) I was wearing jeans, boots, shirt, hoodie, feather vest, big rain coat, beanie and scarf and was still cold a couple of times.

But there can be beautiful days in winter too.

I also agree it's indoors you will probably feel it more due to bad insulation, lack of heating often, and just the fact you aren't moving around.

We use an electric blanket all winter.

We arrived in August and didn't bring many winter-type clothes with us in our luggage - just a word of warning though, by that time all the shops here are stocking summer stuff for the season ahead, so it was quite hard to find warm jumpers to buy. My recommendation is to head for the Op Shops (Charity Shops) as they still had nice warm clothes on the rails! Initially you'll feel fairly warm, and look at the locals kitted up in coats and hats and scarves and gloves, as you wonder around in shorts and t-shirts on a 16 degree day.... but gradually your blood will thin and you'll feel the need of a warm winter fleece and a scarf yourself. I very very rarely wear any of the winter coats I have in my wardrobe, even now....

OMG it's cold! it's a different type of cold that a centigrade scale doesn't tell the whole picture! Try and make sure that the home that you will be in has either reverse cycle heating or gas heating throughout. As per the comments above...the older houses have rubbish insulation and no double glazing.

My OH has arthritis and winters are torture for him...not as bad as the UK for sure though.

I have been watching the temperature gauges in the house (one in lounge and one in bedroom). I find that anything below 20 degrees, and it's just a degree or so, starts to feel chilly. In the months that you are here the night time temperatures can get close to freezing and the inside temperatures down to between 8 and 12 degrees..it's cold! :smile:

We have plenty of winter things to bring, thanks to a very chilly spring so far!! Good news is we got our visa grant this morning so now we definitely know what to pack. I wouldn't fancy clothes shopping on arrival. I can think of a million other things to do especially when we have so much to sort out! Plus we have had the winter sales here so all jumpered up on the cheap! :cute:

This is our 3rd winter here....it's like living in a shed on the edge of a desert. It can be hot during the day and cold at night. I would advise packing for an English Summer at a Campsite....lots of layers. Oh and it's quite amusing watching how the locals react to a bit of rain, especially in the City!!!

I've looked at the average temperatures from previous years but, for example, its apparently only 15 degrees here today but its quite muggy and I'm rather warm! Not shorts warm but still, wouldn't want much more than a thin jacket, but if the wind was icy, I would!

We filled up with petrol the other night on the way home from friends and we commented that it was freezing as we stood out on the petrol forecourt, looked at the temperature in the car and it was 15 degrees! The OH always says that how cold it gets in winter (once the sun goes down) in Adelaide, is the one thing that surprised him about the move.