My 1 Year Post - Loving Adelaide

Guest Roo1

It’s a little late but here it goes (I been here 14 months now).

Remember folks that this is my opinion and I’ve taken the time to sit at my computer and share it with you. If you don’t agree with me, then please take the time to write your own opinion and not to highlight what I say and slate it.

Thank you.

There’s so much to say about Adelaide…….so, I thought I’d share my story and not to go down the comparison route of the price of petrol, food, surviving without Coronation Street etc.

So, why Adelaide?

In 2000, Ian and I back-packed around the world. It took us 6 months to take in the countries and sights we wanted to see and we enjoyed every bit of it but there was one place that stuck in our mind and that was Adelaide.

We stayed in Happy Valley for 2 weeks and enjoyed a slower pace of life. Our friends’ house had 5 bedrooms and a pool, we loved the location and the family-feel of the place. Ian and I said there and then, if we ever had kids, this would be where we would like to raise them.

We loved the relaxed feel of Adelaide. No one seemed to be in a rush. Roads were and are still are slower than the U.K. People seem to be in 5th gear and just cruising along. The roads, suburbs, beaches are clean. People say hello to you whilst walking on the beach or walking tracks. We are surrounded by wineries, vine yards and olive trees and the most impressive beaches in South Australia. Culture and entertainment is on our doorsteps. You can do as much or as little as you want. If you are into Sports, then the Aussies take it very seriously and you can join pretty much any kind of club you want to.

In 2003 we applied for our visa. By then we had had Thomas. My parents gave me so much grief over “taking their only grand child away” it was very difficult to remain strong and continue with the visa process.

In 2005 we were granted our visa and Ian secured a job with Electra Net before coming out here. He moved over and started work and Thomas and I followed later.

Unfortunately, we’ve never sold our house in the U.K because of the falling market. We dropped the price by 20,000 but still it remains unsold. I have tenants in right now, and have accepted the fact that our house will probably remain tenanted for a while to come. It’s frustrating, as I know in my heart my home is here and selling our U.K house would be the closure I need but as yet it’s not to be.

Arriving in Adelaide, I guess I had it pretty cushy. Ian had already bought our house, so all I had to do was unpack and start making the place into our home. But even with this good start, I was confused on what I needed to do next. Questions such as; What’s Medicare, What’s a TFN, do I need one? What’s Centre Link? Where’s a good Kindy for Thomas? How do I transfer my money over? How do I change my license?

With Ian being at work full time, I was pretty much left to my own devices. But eventually I got to grips with it all. The first few weeks were lonely. I had one friend here but she worked full time too. I started Thomas at the local Kindy and the teacher there introduced me to some other U.K mums and I started having coffee with them.

I guess I’m quite resourceful when I put my mind to it. I asked questions, bought a UBD road map and would go for rides in the car with Thomas and started exploring Adelaide on my own.

I then discovered Poms In Adelaide and to be honest it has been my lifesaver. I know that sounds dramatic but believe me, the friends I have made because of that site was fantastic. I now have a lovely group of friends and a couple of special ones (you know who you are) and I’m always meeting new people every week.

Within 2 months of me settling here, my husband and I came up with the idea of RooRentals. My parents were coming over to stay (as had finally excepted our emigration) and I needed a place for them to stay, as our house was still too disorganized to house them. They didn’t want to stay in a hotel as they were staying for 8 weeks. Then someone on AdelaideBrits website put me in touch with KP Rentals in Woodcroft.

I figured, if I had had so much trouble finding accommodation in Adelaide for my family and I live here, then how do other people emigrating over survive?

With this in mind I formulated a package of accommodation, help and advice for new comers. Purely because I knew how much confusion I had, I wanted to make people’s transition a little easier and not as stressful as it could be.

We’ve all had different experiences with emigrating. I’ve been lucky but I know for some, finding work and putting down roots can be very tiring, frustrating and financially draining but once achieved, I believe, that quality of life increases ten fold.

So, I guess a year on I’m a little more wiser and more well informed than the early days. Adelaide has always felt like home but I think that has something to do with joining my husband again.

But you do feel the distance from the U.K when it comes to missing family. Fortunately my parents will be moving out here in September, so I’m very lucky to fill that void.

I’m lucky too, to have found a good support network of friends. But then I do believe its what you put into it as well. I’ve not sat back but actual gone out there seeking my happiness, whether it be friends, work, hobbies and interests, as the old saying goes……Happiness is a journey not a destination.

Adelaide is now my home and even with all its charm, you have to put into it to get what you want out of it.

Would I go back to the U.K? No.

Do I wish I’d emigrated sooner? Yes

Has my life been enriched by living here?

YES!!!!

Can I ask what was the turning point in your parents acceptance of the big move? You said they are now moving out here so they obviously want to be near you and their grandchild and have seen that this is their best option.

I only ask as we are having enormous difficulties with OH's mum, who says we have ruined her life and begs us to go back.

Can I ask what was the turning point in your parents acceptance of the big move? You said they are now moving out here so they obviously want to be near you and their grandchild and have seen that this is their best option.

I only ask as we are having enormous difficulties with OH's mum, who says we have ruined her life and begs us to go back.

I guess their attitude now is "If you can't beat them, join them". As I said in my post we had great difficulties with them and they tried every trick in the book to get me to stay. Lots of emotional pressure, even saying they'd cut me out of their will!

I had a lot of "wobbles" before I came out here because it is a big move and as I loved my parents like any daughter I was very torn.

But eventually I made it here. I had to come and live this life or else I'd have said, years down the track...what if and probably blame them for holding me back.

They realised that I wasn't returning to the U.K and from phone calls and emails understood that I'm a happier person living here.

Now, a year on they admit they it was for there own selfish reasons for wanting to keep me and my son in the U.K.

It took alot for them to make the journey over to Aus, with fears of flying and the long journey but once they'd done it, they saw for themselves, it was easy enough and now seen what my life is like. Their grandson is thriving and admit its a better place than Bolton for him to grow up.

They then took a long hard look at their life in the U.K and decided they want to be here with us, even if it it means starting again in their 60's, which I greatly admire.

So, yes it has been a struggle with them but we've also learnt alot about each other, I guess by communicating.

Hopefully your OH's mum will come round. She's probably still hurt and bitter that you left but my advice would be to share as much as you can about your new life here. Let her see how settled you are, send photo's, skype her and get her included. Maybe then she'll come and see for herself!

Judi x

Guest mOZzy

i love reading all these updates - thanks for taking the time!!!

great attitude but that's the way to go!

and apparently it worked out for you really well - and well deserved too!!!!

i am looking forward to your next '2yrs' update ;)

Guest Libby1971

Judi, a lovely post.

How thoughtful to be so honest...your mum and dad will love being here with you all.

Hope to see you soon

Libby xx

Guest Happychick

Hi,

Just wanted to say loved reading the post , although only been here a few weeks have to say i agree with what you have said about adelaide,, its a great place !! Am looking forward to the next yr and then i ll have to do an update

Anyone thinking about emmigrating just go for it!

Lisa x

Guest Kelly pj

Hi, It's fab to hear about your experiences and what its like for you, we can't wait to get there, hopefully it will be this year(fingers and toes crossed). Our house is going on the market in the next 2 wks just a few last minute things we need to finish ( we have fully renovated it) and hopefully will sell as we really need the money to set up in adelaide. We have been looking at happy valley and woodcroft to begin with we have 2 little girls Ellie and Ruby so schools and activities are important, whats your opinion on the suburbs after being there a year, any to avoid?

Well actually we have been looking everywhere!!!!!! (Southern)

Guest katsmajic

Great post Judi, only met you the once, on the wineries trip, and thought you were a lovely lady and youve obviously worked hard to get to where your at. Good luck for the future. xx

fab post loved it

god who needs a book when youve got updates and reccis like these:cute:

have been on the comupter for hours reading them all me backs killing

and the hubby and kids are screaming for my attention:realmad:

have to go, thanks again roo

suexxx

Guest The Pottertons

What a lovely, lovely post Judi, a pleasure to read and although i feel a tad envious:arghh: im really pleased you are so happy. You've made it and are an inspiration!!!!! Yvonne xxx

Inspirational reading Judi. Thanks very much. It is lovely to hear that you and your family have made the move to Oz work irrespective of the problems from your family. You had the courage to stick with your convictions and that is what is seeing us through the waiting at the moment. We have just applied to SA Government for sponsorship and when you get a little down during the day we just think of where we could be in 12 months time.

Thanks again

Trevali x

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies, I'm glad you liked my post!

To those playing the waiting game, I wish you all well and hope to see you at one of our Adelaide PIA meets in the near future!

Cheers

Judi x :wubclub: