My wife (29), our 11 month old son and I (32) will be makingthe big move from west wales to Adelaide at the end of September. I amrelocating with work to our site out in the Barossa valley on a sponsored 457Visa. My wife is a secondary school teacher here and will fingers crossed beable to find a teaching post fairly quickly once we arrive. We are still in theprocess of sorting the VISA but hopefully all will be in place shortly toensure we can travel out around the 3rd week in September.
We have booked the first 6 weeks accommodation using AirBNB and will be spending the first monthor so frantically searching for a place to live while our container makes itsway over. Ideally we would be looking for a place around Semaphore/largs areaor around a leafy suburb closer to nature to the right hand side of the city… ideallya place with a small pool! Well that’s the dream anyway!
We plan to give this our best shot and plan to stay at least2-3 years before reviewing the whole thing and then if all goes well we willthen apply for residency and sell our home in the UK to purchase in Adelaide.
I have lots of varied and random questions and hoped thatsome of you would be kind enough to answer some of them or point us in theright direction! Apologies if lots of these have been asked before! Ok so in noparticular order….
1) What are the cheap supermarket and householdshops… I know Aldi and Ikea exist in Adelaide but any other recommendations!?
2) When buying a car… what is the equivalent of aUK MOT?
3) I’ve read about central market and Gilles streetmarket but are there any other good ones? We both like walking around marketsand trying different foods etc.
4) Can we use a UK Baby car seat in Australian carsthat use ISOFIX
5) Is Port Adelaide a nice area these days? We wentthere 6 years ago but it seemed still quite rundown.
6) Are the towns in the Barossa valley nice allyear round or do they fluctuate with tourism seasons? Considering living hereif it has all amenities we would want.
7) We both love wildlife and have been researchingareas to live that may be closer to nature but are there any areas you’drecommend?
8) What child care costs can we expect to pay in Adelaide?Is it cheaper in other suburbs or Barossa valley?
9) As we are travelling on my 457 visa I believe wecan register for medicare once we arrive? Is this correct?
10) Based on No. 9 above if my wife fell pregnant inAustralia would the medicare cover all hospital bills such as scans andhospital fees for delivery etc
11) We both like music gigs/festivals and preferindie, rock, acoustic music are there any particular venues or festivals thatwe should look at?
12) What broadband would you recommend for unlimitedpackage so we can skype regularly
Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance…. We cantwait to get our Australia adventure started!