Royal Adelaide Show time again :)

snifter

http://www.theshow.com.au/index.jsp

logo.jpg

We've been the last few years and enjoyed it. Not going this year as we decided we wanted to go see the Crows in the first final against North Melbourne instead. So got tickets to that the other day. Had we been going, we'd not be going as it was our show day today (school closed) and our son is ill with a hacking cough and high temp. Phew we didn't buy tickets online a few days ago.

So, if you are going this year, what are you looking forward to?

Me, I love the artwork and photography, livestock and am getting rather partial to the wood chopping :cute: Son loves the show bags, I don't love the expense of them :wink:

I'm not going this year. My youngest son hates crowds, loud noise and people speaking on phones or making weird or loud noises (just hates people really) so doesn't enjoy it in the slightest. The oldest doesn't mind all that but is a bit meh about the whole thing so isn't bothered about going either, although would probably go with friends if any where going. I'd love to go by myself or with my OH but I don't have any spare leave and my none working days are taken up with other things. Maybe next year I'll find time to go by myself.

We went yesterday, just my OH and I, and had a wonderful time! (Although I do think that being at the Crows' game will be awesome! Good choice, @snifter!)

I like the Show because it's such a community event, and there really is something for most people. We've been through taking our primary school kids, through allowing older ones to meet up with their mates whilst we were still lurking on site lol, through dropping them off and doing their own thing, to now...a couple watching the dog judging, mooching round the food tents etc..

It can be expensive, particularly the rides and sideshows, and the contents of the show bags can often all-too quickly self-destruct, but I love the way people save up for the year, preparing, or it's agreed that it'll be a biannual visit.

If I were to offer any advice, it would be to be prepared. As NicF remarked, it is very noisy, and busy, and that can put some kids off. You can go online to see what free shows you'd like to catch, what bags are available - the Yellow Brick Road is a good one, because it takes you all round the Show with something to pick up at various points. There are cheap lockers, if you want to take your own food and drink or even just stow some rugs for later, if you plan on staying for the fireworks. Parking can be expensive, one on Goodwood was charging $35!!!! but to the left, on Greenhill, there was a $20, and a bit further up (so we only saw it when we drove past on leaving our $20 park later!) there's a $12 one. There's even an Adelaide Showground train station now! It'll all be on the website that Snifter's linked to this thread :notworthy:.

Have fun!

LC

We took my kiddies for the first time today. We got there at opening and left at lunch time, which was enough for us lol.

I can imagine its enough for little ones.

I'm worn out after 6 hours wandering round there and am so glad to be able to sit down at regular intervals. I'm getting old :cute:

We went yesterday, just my OH and I, and had a wonderful time! (Although I do think that being at the Crows' game will be awesome! Good choice, @snifter!)

I like the Show because it's such a community event, and there really is something for most people. We've been through taking our primary school kids, through allowing older ones to meet up with their mates whilst we were still lurking on site lol, through dropping them off and doing their own thing, to now...a couple watching the dog judging, mooching round the food tents etc..

It can be expensive, particularly the rides and sideshows, and the contents of the show bags can often all-too quickly self-destruct, but I love the way people save up for the year, preparing, or it's agreed that it'll be a biannual visit.

If I were to offer any advice, it would be to be prepared. As NicF remarked, it is very noisy, and busy, and that can put some kids off. You can go online to see what free shows you'd like to catch, what bags are available - the Yellow Brick Road is a good one, because it takes you all round the Show with something to pick up at various points. There are cheap lockers, if you want to take your own food and drink or even just stow some rugs for later, if you plan on staying for the fireworks. Parking can be expensive, one on Goodwood was charging $35!!!! but to the left, on Greenhill, there was a $20, and a bit further up (so we only saw it when we drove past on leaving our $20 park later!) there's a $12 one. There's even an Adelaide Showground train station now! It'll all be on the website that Snifter's linked to this thread :notworthy:.

Have fun!

LC

Hehe, yeah it was a bit of a no brainer for us to go see the Crows home final. Tickets came in around the $200 mark for the 3 of us (we got the most expensive ones else it could have been cheaper) so thought a show day was an expense too far on top. And as our son is currently still poorly we've missed the days we'd normally all go on. I'm so stoked about the Crows game btw :jiggy:

Your advice is good LC. We take the Belair line train in for show days and so don't have the hassle of parking. And we time our leaving for a train coming along and its good. We also take a packed lunch and drinks ($5 for a bottle of something is a bit steep x 3 people) and usually go sit watch the monster trucks or woodchopping while we dine.

If you've small kids then the small animal petting barn is always nice. I love chickens so tend to gravitate towards the chooks. I do love the food stalls and stuff they have. Bought some awesome curry powder last year from a stand where they made fresh batches of it to sample. And the wine tasting is always handy too :wink: Although don't try to vindaloo before the wine :unsure:

We limited the fun fair rides to 2 for us last year. It was the first year our son went on them and we let him choose out of a number of them what he wanted to go on and so Dad climbed in also and went a bit green :biglaugh:

We also go watch the stage show musical thing that is performed a few times a day and runs for 30-45 minutes. Its a nice way to pause, relax, kids can sit and watch also and it can provide some unintentional comedy gold moments as I discovered last year :goofy:

I tend to avoid the pig racing as I find it a bit cruel. Pigs are intelligent creatures and I didn't enjoy seeing it in the distance even so opt to not go near it when they are racing.

@Blossom

Wait a sec....'kiddies'? Were you referring to a combo of your baby, her father, big sister...or have you had a new baby?!

Congratulations if you've given your littliest a sibling, lols if you were referring to your partner, and well done if you managed what sounds like a very focussed visit with a teen in tow!

:wubclub: LC

We now have 5 week old Billie too. :-)

She slept through most of the show lol.

We're heading there tomorrow - need to see if any of our cakes have got ribbons. Our eldest usually goes with school via the Ag club or the Orchid club but she missed out this year due to a school trip to Japan. We save all year and took our cans to the recycling centre this morning so we're all ready for the off! Ours are old enough now though that they're not terribly bothered by the plastic showbags but seduced instead by the edible ones; we allow them 1 showbag & 1 ride each and if they want anymore it comes out of their pocket money.

We definitely take our own lunch (but we tend to take our own lunch anywhere we go!), although last year our son had a Dagwood dog for the first time and has gone off to bed dreaming of another!

I love the Show and when I was there on Thursday dropping off our entries I was just the teeniest bit jealous of the families there with their animals and caravans and the vibe of something about to happen.

We now have 5 week old Billie too. :-)

She slept through most of the show lol.

:wubclub: How wonderful! Many, many heartfelt congratulations to you and your family :wubclub:.

(Did you see the show in the pavilion, 'Gentlemen of Deceit'? What did you think? We watched a bit, but then left quietly...I'm not sure if it got any better.... )

:smile: LC