Home Alone

soccer65

Hi,

wife Lisa job starts in March,hope to be in Adelaide in Feb.My question is we have two children Sam who will be 13 and Georgia who will be nearly 11.What age are your kids classed at to be left on there own say from finishing school to parents getting home from work.

Cheers Steven,Lisa,Sam & Georgia.

Guest Deb17

Don't know what the official age is in Oz but as most daycare and after school clubs don't cater for anyone after the age of 12 I reckon that must be it. Once kids are in high school I think they're left to pretty much fend for themselves. Anyone else enlighten us as to the rule of law?

Guest Django
Anyone else enlighten us as to the rule of law?

Is there a law of this nature in Oz???:confused:

There isn't one in the UK so I doubt whether there is one in Oz. There is an urban myth that children cannot be left alone until they are 14, but there is no legal ruling.

There is a very good law regarding neglect but there is no age set age limit.

Pete

Guest Deb17

Urban myth?

I had it on good authority that the age requirement was definitely 14 in the UK...the mentor in our school who liaised with the social workers told me it had been raised from 12 to 14 a couple of years back. I don't think they're so bothered out here...Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Guest Django

Just been on a rekkie of the NSPCC website. You know when you say something you're sure of then think ....... 'Am I right????' :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

What the law says

The law does not set a minimum age at which children can be left alone. However, it is an offence to leave a child alone when doing so puts him or her at risk.

Guest Django
What a wealth of knowledge are. Is there anything you don't know.

Yep. I don't know how to sell our house.;):biglaugh::biglaugh:

Pete

Been for a google.......

What does the law say in Australia?

• There is no actual law that states at what age children can or cannot be left alone, but the law is clear about the responsibility of parents to look after their children.
  • In many cultures it is usual for children to care for brothers and sisters.
  • While different societies have different customs, in Australia there is a legal obligation for parents to make sure that their children are properly looked after.
  • Parents are expected to provide food, clothing, a place to live, safety and supervision.
  • Parents can be charged with an offence if children are left in a dangerous situation and are not fed, clothed or provided with accommodation (Criminal Law Consolidation Act, SA).
  • The Police or Children, Youth and Family Services (part of the Department of Health, South Australia) can remove children from situations where their safety is in serious danger and there is no guardian present (Children's Protection Act South Australia).

yep its pretty much up to what you feel happy for your children to do, you know them and what they are capable of, and by upper primary there are not many kids in after school care if they live within bussing or walking distance. You have to get them ready for high school, where there is no after care.

Ours are a similar age and I have been known to leave them 'home alone' - touch wood, so far it's been ok! We do let the neighbours know though, so if they had a problem and needed an immediate adult, they could just go round to them for help.

We do hide the matches as well....!!!!

Diane