Spiders

julie-ruth

Hi was just wondering someone said that you can't leave your clothes on the floor in Australia as spiders get mixed in them, (ugh) is that right, trying to tell the kids this and they reply "Yeah right mum" like I'm pulling their leg, do you have to remember to shake out shoes, towels, duvets etc. Trying to get the girls into a routine of being tidy Mum 0 Kids 3 at mo.

Guest moonraker1959
Hi was just wondering someone said that you can't leave your clothes on the floor in Australia as spiders get mixed in them, (ugh) is that right, trying to tell the kids this and they reply "Yeah right mum" like I'm pulling their leg, do you have to remember to shake out shoes, towels, duvets etc. Trying to get the girls into a routine of being tidy Mum 0 Kids 3 at mo.

I don't know whether I'd be that paranoid lol!!!!! However you do have to be sensible.for example,if you have wellies,don't leave them uncovered outside (spiders love them).I think I'd go with that story though with the kids as if nothing else it will encourage them to hang their clothes up lol lol

Guest steph&neil

to be honest havent seen a lot of spiders keep quoting "nobody has dies of a spider bite since 1979" i am not a spider fan as you can tell! we do as rule shake everything that has been left on the floor but more because if the ants!!!! hope this helps

ps i have seen a red back but right after it was killed in a shop!

Well, so far with us we have had three white tail spiders in our house and a shed with redbacks in them.

We do everything that you are trying to get the kids to do just now, as you never know!

But as I said we have had them in the house, one hugging my daughters teddy bear, which she was none too pleased about I have to tell you! The second was in my sons room, he found it when he was tidying up his toy box and the third in the dining area having a lovely stroll across the floor.

We have also had a huntsman behind a unit, I personally didn't think it was possible to be able to run in mid air, but I managed it, much to the delight of my kids, who were hysterical with laughter!

But even although we have only been here a few months, you do get into a routine, so don't worry too much x

Hope I didn't scare you because it's not too bad.

Ah thanks guys, oh by the way are you living in uk or adelaide, just curious your location is still uk. I know I sound paranoid getting that way as not getting many viewings on house I see lots of other houses selling we've done all we can and we are still not getting people through the door. So just concerntrating on our goal.

Guest Deb17

We get loads of spiders in the house, mainly the big black ones that look a bit like scorpions, but they're not so fast I can't get my Dyson out and suck them up! I shake all my clothes as a matter of course, and all the towels in the bathroom, as my son tends to have eight-legged friends drop on him in the shower whilst reaching for the towel. First night in Adelaide, standing outside, searching for the Southern Cross in the night sky, I got scared witless by a huntsman as big as the palm of my hand! Nearly leant on him as he was well camouflaged against the bricks. My younger son also had a jet black window spider fall on his shoulder and give everyone heart failure. If they bite you apparently you can be quite ill from it.

Apart from spiders does anyone get the willies from those disgusting black millipedes that creep into the house when it rains? Or is that just me out in the sticks?

Guest ozboy

BEEs and wasps are much more dangerous and agressive then spiders they kill 2 people a year in OZ, no one had died fr0m a spider bite in 30 years. The animal that causes most death and injury to kids in OZ is dogs, you should be affraid of them not spiders.

Guest steph&neil

oh deb17 just read your post!!!!!!!!!!! i agree dont like anything with more than 2 legs that cant hold a conversation!!!! hoovering them up sounds like a good option.............. you have all scared me now so i will be off to harvey normans for a dust buster tommorow morning!!! x

Guest Deb17

The latter I reckon. Too many pit bulls in S.A. by far, (with drongo owners who let them jump all over you!)

What about the snakes? They're a bit scary too.

Guest ozboy

All this creepy crawlie snake and spider danger in overdone, more people are killed in the UK each year by bee and wasp bites then are killed by snake and spider bites in OZ each year. Your worrying about nothing.

Guest Guest75

Some people do just get used to them.

Today Little Tyke was helping me in the garden and let out such a scream.

It was a lovely,big Wolf spider.

I had to go and give it a prod (had gloves on ) - it just shot off in the opposite direction to me.:)

Guest Django

It was a lovely,big Wolf spider.

I had to go and give it a prod (had gloves on ) - it just shot off in the opposite direction to me.:)

Ah yes but he was just going to get his mates to help him.;) I'd watch your back if I were you. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest soggy

Hi,

I have been here 4 months now and only seen 2 spiders that would not be out of place in the UK, perhaps they don't like city living, the first week or so I was looking everywhere for a "killer" spider I could photograph and send back to the UK but the best I could manage was a lizzard and a couple of parrots.:)

Simon

Guest graandjac

:shocked:If you open your hand and fingers as wide as you can .......thats how big the huntsman get...........no honestly they do..........but havn't seen one fully grown yet just a baby one at about 3inc across. Cheers Graham

I would of liked to of seen that, how big does the huntsman get? can i get rid of it like we do in this country glass and plate or is it bigger than our house spiders

Guest Guest75
Ah yes but he was just going to get his mates to help him.;) I'd watch your back if I were you. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

It's my legs I worry about.

I have now learnt to check them out before stamping on them.

They can have thier babies on their back - when squished the babies run up your leg.

Yup - it happened to me - with bare legs:shocked: