spiders

Guest jayandfamily

Guest jayandfamily

hi all

we are there yet but wife is a bit concerned about spiders, snakes and other creepy crawlies in the garden and house, for herself and twins of 4 any advice thanks. jay

Guest moonraker1959

It all depends really where you live.For example if you live in a suburb,you're hardly going to see a snake (unless you right next to the foothills)Spiders,especially redbacks can be found pretty much anywhere (I had to kill one once that was crawling up my then 1 yr olds bedroom curtain???)but.......you can identify them easily,and as your kids get abit older they can too.Make sure you don't leave shoes/boots outside,wear gloves whilst gardening,and just be sensible really.Snakes are'nt a problem.If you are walking through bush or long grass just makes lots of noise and remember they will gladly skuttle away.I know it sounds scary but you become abit savvy once you're lived there a while and you should'nt be paranoid lol good luck xx

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I am seriously disapointed by the lack of wildlife I see here. I found a dead huntsman the other day and put him on a bit of pipe stretched out so we could see the size of him. Had some Uk visitors and showed them it, I am now sad as he blew off the garden teble in the wind the other day:arghh:and I cant find him any where.

When we first came I used to check underneath garden chairs and in gardening gloves. In my shoes in the cupboards and even in the bed and the corners of the rooms. We also sprayed the house on the outside. Have now given them up after the first 8 months!!

sarah

Guest Nick11
I am seriously disapointed by the lack of wildlife I see here. I found a dead huntsman the other day and put him on a bit of pipe stretched out so we could see the size of him. Had some Uk visitors and showed them it, I am now sad as he blew off the garden teble in the wind the other day:arghh:and I cant find him any where.

When we first came I used to check underneath garden chairs and in gardening gloves. In my shoes in the cupboards and even in the bed and the corners of the rooms. We also sprayed the house on the outside. Have now given them up after the first 8 months!!

sarah

Us too - not much to report. However yesterday I was changing the bin liner and something huge and creepy was scurrrying up the side of it. Out comes the peau beau - spray-spray!!!!

If in doubt - then spray!

Guest graandjac

:biglaugh:Spiders and bugs .......this is the biggest urburn myth about oz, Australia is soooooooooo big we all thought that the nasties are everywhere, so not true . Been here 2 months and only seen 1 bigish spider and it was more interested in running away from me ........everyone dont worry about the spiders , half the time its the people over here havin a laugh knowing that so many of you in the uk are making such a big thing about nothing:pcheers Graham

:biglaugh:........everyone dont worry about the spiders , half the time its the people over here havin a laugh knowing that so many of you in the uk are making such a big thing about nothing:pcheers Graham
spoilsport!:sad:

Guest stufi1997

Hiya, Since we're not allowed pets in our rental we've unofficially adopted our huntsman spider...he's called Fred and he's quite small really...only about 2 inches across....Patricia on the other hand who lives outside in our front porch is a biggie...she's about 4 inches across. Takes a bit of getting used to i must admit. Fiona