Thanks guys for the advice we are still in
negotiation's we will let you know what we eventually
HI to all TRYING TO SELL !!!!!
I hope our experience doesn't depress you but it will give you a taste of what's going on at the moment. We are selling a large listed house with outbuildings in the Cotswolds. Accepted an offer on 6 May for 12% less than the asking price, which was realistically low anyway as we wanted our house to look attractive compared to other similar houses. Have waited 10 weeks for them to exchange, all paperwork,searches were in place for exchange 4 weeks ago. They gave us a sob story about needing to ask the local planners a question. To keep the deal on track we agreed to keep the house off the market until they got a reply. This was despite having 30 viewings in 7 weeks before we accepted their offer, so there was other interest. Had one previous offer. Yesterday they offered to exchange in 2 days if we take £100,000 less than the original price they offered. That would be a drop of over 20% off the low asking price . There is nothing wrong with our house to the best of our knowledge re planning etc. They know we want to return to Australia by the end of the year and are using this against us.
Our agents were really shocked at the orginal price we accepted anyway. Everyone is reeling in disbelief at the moment. We have refused to accept the new price drop. We need a realistic price to fund our new life. They haven't pulled out yet but our house is back on the market this Monday. It's all quite horrible. I couldn't sleep at night if I treated others in this way.
Tread very carefully. Hopefully not all buyers are this self centred.
There is no ' fixed' price for anything. Market forces im afraid. Something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it!!! Its up to you to set your own boundaries and to get as much for it as you can.
Lets face it...............if you was one of the few buyers out there with all that choice, you would be putting in silly offers to see what you could get.
The difference being with houses is that it is normally a personal thing to buy ' that house'. The trick is , is to see and know , how much they really want your house , and then push and haggle for as much as you can get.
Push for a higher price until they say no, leave it a day or so . You can always back track if you need to. At least you know their limit!!!
As you know the property Market isn't at its greatest, we too are in the same boat, at the end of the day a property is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. I know this is not much help, but when our visa came through we put our home on the market this was back in March 2007, we had our first offer on a first viewing, they offered 15 grand less than the asking price, we thought it was too soon to take such a drop (lol).
We had no other offers close to that, we should have bitten his arm off for it.
Our story may have been different now, just through what I can look back on now as being greedy.
You have to way up how much equity your house has made you since buying it, and all the other stuff like how much you will need to buy a property and live comfortably in Oz.
Only you and your Hubby can decide.
We ended up leasing out our house, things haven't been the bed of roses in Adelaide as it is very expensive to live here, and I feel at the moment thank God I kept the house. But that's us and will be a different story for you.
At the end of the day it's only money, a life here can be great, at least you have a good choice.
What helps me, looking at children in Africa, and all the people caught in fires and losing their homes, Im in a desperate position here, but their are always people worst off. ( I don't actually sit and watch it on TV or anything, I mean taking a moment to think about it.)
Good luck with your decision.
Sounds like they are taking the pee. Still selling for a fair whack though , going by your comments ;)
Originally Posted by Aussie pat
This seems to be common practice at the moment - personally I would tell them where to stick their offer.
Originally Posted by Aussie pat
How can these people sleep at night - they're parasites!!!
That's the problem with the system in the uk - so much more civilised here in oz.
You accept the offer,put your deposit down and that's it!
Reason 149 for leaving the uk!
I agree with what you are saying. The problem is that what they do is trick you into not letting anyone else look at the house as it's 'under offer'. They then string out exchange and then drop the price because they've got rid of all the competition. I would advise not to mention you are keen to move abroad. Pretend you want to rent for a while or something like that. Also don't be sucked in if they appear nice. The couple who we have just rejected because they were playing dirty were an elderly couple who have lived quietly in Cornwall for 23 years.
Originally Posted by smit
Hi martin & Val, I noticed you have two dogs, I presume because you've listed them that you're taking them with you? Do you have a company in mind for the transportation if so? Only asking because we have a dog too and I'm wondering who to use to get him over there if everything works out. I've been in contact with PetAir Uk based in Dorset and they seem very professional, has anyone dealt with them or can recommend others?
Ahhhh they are coming back for a secound look this afternoon, I should be pleased but I just feel sick.