Making a List

julie-ruth

Ok new thread trying to keep my mind off other things at the moment can you lot tell me what are the sort of things to do in this country that you don't do or get over there you know like visiting Alton Towers or the tower of London etc or eating lots of cadburys chocolate or buying clothes from next (yes saw that thread).

Sorts of things that is tricky to get hold of or places you wish you had got round to visit or things you wish you had done.

Trying to make a list things that is worthwhile bringing with us and things that are not.

Julie

Guest Libby1971

I am going to the UK later this year for a quick hol...things I shall be doing that I wish I had done before I came are the following:

Take my girls to London to see Westminster Abbey, V&A Museum & Museum of Natural History

Feed ducks at Burford, Oxon (very cheeky)

I would like to go to the Ritz or similar for High Tea but doubt it will happen!!!!

Visit Harrods to buy a pencil

Take suitcases to Tescos for Colmans Tuna Pasta Bake Sauce mixes which, to be honest, are the only things I really really miss.

I will be buying Thorntons Vanilla Truffles (the white ones) and the Viennese Truffles while I am there, probably large quantities to console myself after saying goodbye to my sister.

I shall also be buying Strawberry Cream and Prange Cream chocs at Tescos because I can't find them here.

I shall be visiting Primark for pants and socks for the kids as well as Tshirts.

I am nipping to a Clarks discount centre purely out of interest. I may buy but not a priority.

Other than that, I am spending time with my sister and her kids and my aunt. I am def seeing 4 lots of friends but other than that. I have 12 days in the UK, I hope I can fit this lot in!

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Start off by going to places right on your door step, too many of us when talking of our birhplace/homeplace, say oh yes we lived near there but never visited, fortunate to have seen so much of the UK but in reality so little of the area I lived,

Guzzler

Libby, Of course you will fit it all in, your sis and her kids can help load up your suitcases with your shopping, afterall shopping could be said to be quality time with the loved ones.

Plus it's like people who have grown up here, there are people who have never been out of the state they live in, they all know what's there of course....as a tourist you will see a lot more than the inhabitants.

Guest stufi1997

I wish I'd gone to primark to stock up on socks and pants...$6.20 for 3 pairs of socks is the absolute cheapest i can find, well ones you can wear more than once....

and i like asda pants...

oooohhh and bras, I had my sis in law send me one form tesco cos they only make granny bras for my size (not that i'm that big).

Curry pot noodles is the 1 thing my son keeps harping about...me I can't stand them so no biggy....

just spend lots of quality time with your family and friends and take lots of photos

Good luck with the move, Fiona

Guest hollyc

Julie - you read my mind with your examples!! I have already considered the exact same things :)

We leave on the 31st August, and before then I have already booked in a weekend that I am going to Alton Towers before I go! I am also going to have another (I have already had one) shopping spree in places like River Island and similar, prob go to Cambridge as it's on my doorstep. AND I am also planning on eating lots of Cadbury's (although this isn't going well with my 'healthy eating in preparation for arrival in Oz' plan).

I think the hidden beauty of leaving people behind is that when you're out there and you discover food stuffs that you miss, the people still in England can send you parcels!! That's what I'm planning on requesting from my sister once I'm out there and have done some investigating into which food I'll miss. Though there's a whole range of new stuff to discover which may turn out better, you never know!!

Holly

Hi just been chatting to an bloke who had come back from 3 months in Sydney, Australia this afternoon I asked him the same question as I put on here, he said that in Australia they don't have decent Tea or Marmite so bring your own is this true of Adelaide I'll be honest I'm not that worried as I don't drink or eat either but curious others might be interested in this.

Julie

Guest stufi1997

Hi Julie,

I'm pretty certain i've seen marmite in the british section of our local coles (i don't eat the stuff so didn't pay too much attention). They have tetley tea bags which I think taste the same,an opinion of which I am in the minority in our house I must say, they do have a brithish blend tetley tea but I haven't bought it cos it's $1 dearer than ordinary tetley and I can't tell the difference, if they wnt it THEY can do the shopping......Fiona

Hi, we moved here via melbourne in January. Bring white goods i.e. fridges, condenser dryers and your car if it is good. 2nd hand cars are expensive here and so are white goods. Can't buy clothes or alcohol in the supermarkets and no 24hr shopping although most things open till 9pm except weekends. Hope this helps

The things you really can't get in Australia are anything old (more than a couple of hundred years old). So if you appreciate history go and visit castles, stately homes, palaces, cathedrals etc. because there is nothing remotely like them there. Also, although the museums in Adelaide are good, there is nothing to compare with the British museum, Science museum, Natural History museum etc in Oz. It makes you realise how much the Brits have taken from other countries over the years, like Egytian mummies and dinosaur bones. Likewise if you are into Art Galleries visit as many as you can here and see all the old masters because not many of them have found their way down under. The reason so many Australians and Americans come on holiday to Europe is to see all these treasures that we take for granted.

When my Australian OH first came here we did all the tourist stuff in England that you don't normally do when it is on your doorstep, like London, Stratford on Avon, York, Bath and had a great time. If you have kids it will let them know their heritage too.

Guest Lulujim
The things you really can't get in Australia are anything old (more than a couple of hundred years old). So if you appreciate history go and visit castles, stately homes, palaces, cathedrals etc. because there is nothing remotely like them there. Also, although the museums in Adelaide are good, there is nothing to compare with the British museum, Science museum, Natural History museum etc in Oz. It makes you realise how much the Brits have taken from other countries over the years, like Egytian mummies and dinosaur bones. Likewise if you are into Art Galleries visit as many as you can here and see all the old masters because not many of them have found their way down under. The reason so many Australians and Americans come on holiday to Europe is to see all these treasures that we take for granted.

When my Australian OH first came here we did all the tourist stuff in England that you don't normally do when it is on your doorstep, like London, Stratford on Avon, York, Bath and had a great time. If you have kids it will let them know their heritage too.

Great post - good food for thought. We do take it for granted - and I'm looking forward to coming back to do the UK and doing all the London Touristy things witht he girls when they are older!

You are soooo right about old things. I would also suggest visiting anywhere in europe you have wanted to go to but just did not get around to it. You can buy marmite here and tetley tea bags. Funny thing is i found a lot of british food stuffs in chinatown if you can't find it anywhere else. If all else fails there is "Treats from home " in Melbourne that will send you stuff for a price. I haven't missed anything really except Magners cider, almost impossible to find and Pimms. But with all the wine here it makes up for it.