Had PATHETIC offer on house!No way!

Guest cunnah10

Guest cunnah10

First time buyers came back with an offer £20k under the NEW asking price (already dropped ot over £30k)

No way would we consider it - would be £50k less than the original asking price!

Oh well HEYHO such is life!!!:sad:

Guest Django

Thats the market for you. You may find that is the best offer you get, but lets hope not. :sad: I've watched a few programmes on the news channels and it a gloomy picture. You need to assess what you need to pay off stuff and what you have left after flights, container, etc. Is it enough to start your life downunder. We won't (at present) make loads of cash on our houses. :arghh: I hope they come back with a better offer for you but as 1st time buyers they are limited to what the banks will lend out.

Lets hope the others put better offers in. We will be going out with next to nothing. However we are very fortunate that Tracey has a job to go to.

Who picked this time to make the move. Sooooooooo should have done this 2 or 3 years ago. Ain't hindsight wonderful. :arghh:

Pete

Guest chippie74
First time buyers came back with an offer £20k under the NEW asking price (already dropped ot over £30k)

No way would we consider it - would be £50k less than the original asking price!

best way to deal with that is dont give them a answer back..we did it all the time it drives them mad!!

Guest LOUISE HANNAH

We had more or less the same with offers, decided to rent ours out for 12 month & put it back on the market then, at least it cover the mortgage. We fly out on the 15th August and will just rent there initially.

Louise

Guest cunnah10
If it's any consolation, apparently house prices here in Adelaide are dropping too so hopefully what you lose on the roundabouts, you'll gain on the swings....

Thanks Guys!

Disappointed obviously BUT will keep plodding on - who knows what tomorrow will bring!

Wish we could aceept it BUT we have a mortgage to pay off,flights to pay for yet for 6 of us AND a container to ship out - so it is a definite NO!!!

Guest cunnah10
We had more or less the same with offers, decided to rent ours out for 12 month & put it back on the market then, at least it cover the mortgage. We fly out on the 15th August and will just rent there initially.

Louise

Hi Louise

We may just do the same!

Have to give it a bit longer then make our decision!

Fotunately we are in a position to rent it out i know a lot of guys on here sadly are not!

Did you find a decent tenant?

That is always the worry being the other side of the world!

Hi Gill,

I feel very disappointed for you, but you have to stick to your guns - you know what is an acceptable offer and that doesn't seem acceptable to me. It is a buyers market at the moment and every viewer we have had at the moment have been so not interested. We have had 18 viewings up to now. Keep your chin up.

Alison x

Guest Deb17
If it's any consolation, apparently house prices here in Adelaide are dropping too so hopefully what you lose on the roundabouts, you'll gain on the swings....

I flippin' well hope the prices here are going to drop, else some of us will never be able to buy a place, not on an 'average' wage. It's not just the price of the house, but the exorbitantly high stamp duty they expect you to fork out as well - that's a huge chunk when you're trying to budget with what's left of your savings.:arghh:

Stay positive Gill, and don't, whatever you do, give your house away. It's the biggest asset you've got. I regret selling my house for 16k below the original asking price two years ago - that sounds like nothing now, compared to the ludicrous drops you're all being asked to make.

xx

Hi Gill, I know what you are going through, as you know its only been days since we

were in your situation, it is so hard with the market sooo pants, everyone in Oz its like being back in the eighties with boom and bust we are just not sure how long its going to take with this recession some say towards the end of the year it will start picking up some say it will be years.

What we are considering if we don't sell is to rent the house to the council they are keen on getting houses on long term let, a lot of people are doing it in our area with large family homes who are moving out of the country, apparently you can sign a contract which guarentees your home will be returned to you at the end of the rental aggreement in the same condition as you handing it over to them and with signing an rental agreement for several years they are locked in and continure to pay the rent whether they have an family in it or not.

This might be an option for you to think about.

When are you hoping to go have you your visa yet?

Julie

Guest sprayer

Hey Gill

I'm sorry about the offer. 50k is alot of money to lose. I dont blame them for trying and maybe they will up there offer.

We have reduced ours again but had no interest. Oh, Sister in law & hubby want to buy our house. They can afford the reduced price but they need to sell there house. I just feel this could cause problems. BIL is a greedy bug#er and will want top price for his house, plus he wants us to take ours off the market. I mentioned at weekend that if he wants to go for our house, then he should price his house lower than rest to try an attract interest, cos he is getting a bargain with ours.

We will wait and see what happens.

Jill

Guest cunnah10
Hey Gill

I'm sorry about the offer. 50k is alot of money to lose. I dont blame them for trying and maybe they will up there offer.

We have reduced ours again but had no interest. Oh, Sister in law & hubby want to buy our house. They can afford the reduced price but they need to sell there house. I just feel this could cause problems. BIL is a greedy bug#er and will want top price for his house, plus he wants us to take ours off the market. I mentioned at weekend that if he wants to go for our house, then he should price his house lower than rest to try an attract interest, cos he is getting a bargain with ours.

We will wait and see what happens.

Jill

Thanks guys!

So many of us in this situaton(horrible)!

Estate agent just phoned again - apparently this couple are really really keen and said it may take them a few weeks yet but are thinking about going back to the bank again to see if they can borrow more ("apparently ")

So NOT ruled out them coming back again with a better offer - will just have to sit tight!

Hubby is adamant he is NOT giving his house away for buttons no matter what - he has the figure in his head we will go to now and he is NOT budging(and i know he won't as he's very stubborn - but very practical also)

good luck all you guys who are on this rollercoaster ride !!!!

Guest Sharon and Paul

HI All , This house thing is a pain , i know? we had a viewing on Saturday , she liked it , he said the garden was to small? It's a new build DA ? LOOK AT THE PICTURE'S , does my head in , I wish people do there homework first ? oh the garden is 45ft square big enough for a bounce castle and 25 people 4 BBQ .

Guest Aussie pat

Hi Gill,

Don't know if this is any help but we found people were interested in bartering. We gave away some of our white goods, including the washing machine, to pull in our buyer. Front loaders aren't as common as over here as in SA and I figured I'd wait to see what sort of plumbing we had in our next home. It's different for top loaders. Also threw in all my curtains (probably wouldn't fit new windows anyway). I was careful not to give away anything I really wanted to keep, especially anything I knew would be really expensive in SA. First home buyers might find the added extras attractive so if they come back you might be able to get them to offer a better price if they thought you might throw in a few extras. These could include bits you might not have wanted to take anyway.

Sadly no one was interested in my old sofa now that the kids have trashed it. It would have saved us dumping it. Don't think the customs people would let it in anyway. It looks suspiciously grotty! Threatened to throw the kids into the deal at one stage when they were naughty.

Good luck.

aarrhh sorry gill about your house sale

youve had a crap time with it at the moment aint you

hope you get some joy soon gurl

am glad we rented ours out now i would be

crawling the walls if i was in your shoes

oh ye i am crawling the walls at the M.I.Ls:arghh:

never mind only 2/3 months to go:skeptical:

catch you later gill and fingers crossed

suexxx

Guest natdan

uote=cunnah10;44119]First time buyers came back with an offer £20k under the NEW asking price (already dropped ot over £30k)

There just trying it on!!! hang in there , they could come back with a better offer tomoz. Hope you get some luck soon along with the rest of us !! OH isn;t to optimistic at the moment though, and she;s adamant that were not going to rent it out. good luck to us all in thi sh.t situation/visas need to be activated.I think we;ll need it. wayne n louise.:arghh:

I have many friends here in Adelaide trying to sell their house in the Uk. They had lower offers before they left for Adelaide now they wished they had accepted them as just want to get rid of their house. A couple of my friends on the other hand decided to rent their houses out for a year and wait to see if the housing market improves in the UK. Just remember you will have to send money back if any repairs need doing.

I personally can not see the market falling in Adelaide as has slowed down at the moment due to the high interest rates. Adelaide is one of the only affordable states in Australia if you compare with other states such as Sydney and Perth. You will have younger people moving interstate to afford to buy a home in Adelaide also.

From what I read in the papers recently, prices are not dropping but the movement of houses is slowing down due to the high interest rates here.

I guess its becoming a buyers market here too as vendors are more open to accepting offers below the asking price.

Judi x

We have been in Oz since January and have had our house in the UK on the market for nearly a year. It is a old cottage, beams oak floors etc in a really desirable area apparently and have dropped the price by 40k. We have had offers but the problem is no one is selling their house so all the chains are breaking. It is a real struggle renting here and paying a mortgage in the UK. Hence i cannnot afford a car here at the moment. not turning out to be the new life we thought it would be. Roll on the summer!!:sad:

Guest cunnah10
We have been in Oz since January and have had our house in the UK on the market for nearly a year. It is a old cottage, beams oak floors etc in a really desirable area apparently and have dropped the price by 40k. We have had offers but the problem is no one is selling their house so all the chains are breaking. It is a real struggle renting here and paying a mortgage in the UK. Hence i cannnot afford a car here at the moment. not turning out to be the new life we thought it would be. Roll on the summer!!:sad:

It is so unfair for the likes of yourself!How can you live the dream when you have a mortgage to pay in the UK and a rental in oz!!!

Would you not consider renting your cottage out so it would cover your mortgage repayment?

I know that we couldn't even think about coming out UNLESS we sell the house or put a tenant in it!

Good Luck

Hope things get better for you soon!

Guest LOUISE HANNAH
Hi Louise

We may just do the same!

Have to give it a bit longer then make our decision!

Fotunately we are in a position to rent it out i know a lot of guys on here sadly are not!

Did you find a decent tenant?

That is always the worry being the other side of the world!

We were hanging on as long as possible, but when the container went we decided to rent, we were luck enough to have a (friends) friend to rent straight away, they seem very decent people & i know they will look after the house, hopefully with a view to buying in 12 months

Louise

We have got some friends going to rent our place for a year and they are happy to keep it on the market. The rent does not cover the mortgage though but it is better than nothing.