Adelaide's Best Fish & Chip Shop - Where Is It?

Guest Simon&Tracy

Guest Simon&Tracy

Can anyone recommend a really good 'British' fish and chip shop?

While the likes of Barnacle Bill and the many many fast food places serve fairly decent chips, I'd like to know whether anyone has found a chippie thats anything like the real thing over here.

Guest Libby1971

Port Noarlunga South may be a bit of a trek for you from Golden Grove (no doubt about it, it is more than an hour drive) but the nosh there is rather good, if I do say so.

It is just near the car park.

Guest salisbury massive

I think you'll be hard pushed to find anything like british fish and chips. The best takeaways around the area are Angelas at Wynn Vale, good chips, pizzas & fish. The Chicken Home on Kelly Road Modbury North. Fantastic chips, great chicken and they do the fish in batter or breadcrumbs. If you are ever in the City, Stanleys on Gouger Street is the best fish place to eat. We had the best fish I've ever had there and it was relatively cheap for a restaurant.

Of course we don't do cod as an eating fish here, its mainly King George Whiting, snapper etc so maybe thats why you find it different.

When we went back to the Uk for a holiday we had fish and chips and to be honest i found the UK fish not very nice, it was dripping in grease and I felt quite sick after.

Jo

Guest Libby1971

When we went back to the Uk for a holiday we had fish and chips and to be honest i found the UK fish not very nice, it was dripping in grease and I felt quite sick after.

Jo

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I am desperate for a really big piece of cod and ships, covered with salt and vinegar and pref still in the newspaper.

What if it has changed? I can't bear the thought!!!!

Guest Deb17

We like the chips from Port Noarlunga South too, and also the takeaway round the corner at Aldinga Central - a long way to come though!

The best fish and chips we've had here wasn't from a takeaway, but from the Willunga Hotel, in their restaurant. 2 pieces of crisp battered fish, chips, salad and bread and butter for $12 a head. It was delish.

There is a good fish/chicken shop on Goodwood Road, around the Colonel Light Gardens exit, we have eaten there and had take away and found them very good. We are back in England at present, and are finding that the chips here are not a patch on the Australian ones, which is possibly due to the different types of potato, or could be that in Aus. they seem to cook the chips fresh for every customer. We also now enjoy crumbed fish, which isn't easy to find in the UK.

We were in Scarborough last weekend, pouring rain!!! but the fish & chips in Mother Hubbards in the High Street were delicious, Cost £6.50 but included Bread & Butter & Tea.

Guest Libby1971
NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I am desperate for a really big piece of cod and chips, covered with salt and vinegar and pref still in the newspaper.

What if it has changed? I can't bear the thought!!!!

I think you will find I have amended the offending word

Guest graandjac
I think you'll be hard pushed to find anything like british fish and chips. The best takeaways around the area are Angelas at Wynn Vale, good chips, pizzas & fish. The Chicken Home on Kelly Road Modbury North. Fantastic chips, great chicken and they do the fish in batter or breadcrumbs. If you are ever in the City, Stanleys on Gouger Street is the best fish place to eat. We had the best fish I've ever had there and it was relatively cheap for a restaurant.

Of course we don't do cod as an eating fish here, its mainly King George Whiting, snapper etc so maybe thats why you find it different.

Jo

Have to agree with the above fish and chips here are grrrrrrrrrreat, and the one in Port Noarlunga is great . Cheers Graham

Guest katsmajic

Port Noarlunga chippy is fab, the chips are lush, the fish is tasty and the staff are nice too.

Theres a chippy down near Aldinga on the esplanade, called Jimmys i think, the fish and chips there are most definately the best i have had here! Simply beautiful.

oooo and chicken salt...i know its bad for you but it tastes so good...:)

Guest stufi1997

I want a battered white pudding supper, don't really care about the fish....does nowhere do puddings here???Maybe that's just a scottish thing!!! Fiona

I want a battered white pudding supper, don't really care about the fish....does nowhere do puddings here???Maybe that's just a scottish thing!!! Fiona

Nope you are in Australia now.

BTW I've never heard of a battered white pudding supper, what is it?

Brownys fish shop in old reynella sometimes does cod or haddock and chips - it is expensive ($11 I think for fish and chips), the piece of fish I had had tons of bones (which puts me off) but was nice and a taste of 'home'. I like their fish and chips anyway. noarlunga good too, as is marino rocks (but not english styleee)

Guest Simon&Tracy

Thanks to everyone who replied. We actually went to Semaphore over the weekend to a place called Sotos and found them to be very good. Not quite like the fish 'n' chips we were looking for, but definiately a good runner up. I'm on a diet now anyway, so there'll be no venturing into the southern suburbs in search of the best fish and chip any time soon.

x

• 4 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Port Noarlunga chippy is fab, the chips are lush, the fish is tasty and the staff are nice too.

Theres a chippy down near Aldinga on the esplanade, called Jimmys i think, the fish and chips there are most definately the best i have had here! Simply beautiful.

oooo and chicken salt...i know its bad for you but it tastes so good...:)

Tried Jimmys yesterday for fish and chips and found the fish dripping in grease and chips not even proper chip shop chips, awful ! Would definitely not recommend this as a good chip shop !

I will stick with Port Noarlunga chip shop, at least I know that Jimmys at Aldinga is not for us.

• 1 month later...
Guest magicsprout

the one down at moana is pretty nice. have also heard good things about cafe meso in maclaren vale but its more of a sit in from what i gather, was told they also do a great sunday roast but you have to book

Guest shed end col

As already mentioned,Fairview chicken and seafood at Fairview Park shopping centre. English cod in batter,best i've had here and been here 5 yrs now.

Edited by shed end col