The great shopping debate...

Guest Tracijbc

Guest Tracijbc

So, we went to Coles today, and because we clearly have too much time on our hands, and are a bit spoilt since our shipping arrived and we have a PC at home now, we decided to do a "comparison shop" on ASDA to see how it compares pound to dollar.

We spent $153 and when we shopped online for the same or the closest things with ASDA in the UK, it would have cost us £87.79 (did not include a delivery charge, of course!!). Not too bad then eh? Just for reference, we shopped at the Coles on Brighton Road, and don't know if their prices vary from suburb to suburb, and the ASDA we used to shop at in the UK was in Long Eaton (Derbyshire).

Just thought it might be an interesting bit of research, as everyone seems to have an opinion on whether shopping here is cheaper or more expensive. We also don't buy anything unusual, just the normal day to day stuff, bread, milk, cheese etc.

Hope this might make it a bit easier for you lot in the UK who are concerned that Australia is too expensive to feed yourselves!! ;) It looks like it's about the same, so no great worries there eh?

Cheers

Traci and Matt x

So, we went to Coles today, and because we clearly have too much time on our hands, and are a bit spoilt since our shipping arrived and we have a PC at home now, we decided to do a "comparison shop" on ASDA to see how it compares pound to dollar.

We spent $153 and when we shopped online for the same or the closest things with ASDA in the UK, it would have cost us £87.79 (did not include a delivery charge, of course!!). Not too bad then eh? Just for reference, we shopped at the Coles on Brighton Road, and don't know if their prices vary from suburb to suburb, and the ASDA we used to shop at in the UK was in Long Eaton (Derbyshire).

Just thought it might be an interesting bit of research, as everyone seems to have an opinion on whether shopping here is cheaper or more expensive. We also don't buy anything unusual, just the normal day to day stuff, bread, milk, cheese etc.

Hope this might make it a bit easier for you lot in the UK who are concerned that Australia is too expensive to feed yourselves!! ;) It looks like it's about the same, so no great worries there eh?

Cheers

Traci and Matt x

Not all oz wages convert well to uk equivalents though.

Guest Tracijbc

I wasn't really talking about wages though. I know that some people earn less than they earnt in the UK, but other things are cheaper, petrol for example, and some people do earn more.

On a personal level, we are both actually better off working in Oz than we were in the UK. I appreciate that we are only 2 people and don't have to fund childcare etc, but the point I was making was that the FOOD in Oz is around the same price as in the UK, in my experience.....as shown by the comparison shop we did.

Traci

Guest Nicky, Alan and Kids

I agree with you Trace, our food bill is really high, today we spent $205 and the trolley was not really that full, all we bought were day to day stuff, however I do find the shopping cheaper in the south than when we were in Seacliff.

Nicky