It does get cold in Adelaide

Moosh

Guest Richard & Amanda

I agree, according to the news it was the coldest night in Adelaide last night for 25yrs!!! I'm so glad I brought my trusty Halfords Ice-scraper with me!

[ATTACH]92[/ATTACH] Not sure if the picture worked!

Guest ali@51

tell me about it!!!!!!!! and our gas heater(the only heat in the house) has QUIT:arghh:. The poor kids were putting their hands in the washing up water this am to warm them up

So much for the drought and warm weather!! Had frost and rain since we been here!! All at work say they tell us about the drought and heat to stop us coming over!!

The good thing is it may be blooming cold at night but at least it warms up during the day where as in uk it may not get above freezing all day!!

Dreading the electric bill!!

Pete! just you wait!! make sure you bring your thermals!! :P

All going to have to educate the ozzies about double glazing and insulation that thicker than rice paper!!!

Enjoy the heat in the uk and looking forward to seeing your first oz winter post!!:biglaugh:

still i know where i would prefer to be!!

good to see a light hearted post!

Guest Lulujim

Just a quick one abiut central heating - am I right in thinking most houses don't have it... and does this include new builds? Or do most new builds have central heating and/or double glazing? :err: Thank you!

Guest Aussie pat

Sorry to rub it in but we're sweating over here today and it's lovely and hot for a change. Just remember the cold weather won't last in Adelaide just as the gorgeous weather won't for us.

Guest JULIE210
Don't be fooled by thinking Australia is lovely and warm and that winters are mild. It gets very cold so bring your woolies, blankets, fleeces and extra tog quilts in your container.

This was this morning .... brrrrrrr

Jonscrapesiceoffcar.jpg

Oh Goodness!! I really thought Adelaide winters were not this bad! We are flying out on 7th August, I had better be packing our woolies then! Leaving behind very hot weather here (at the moment but am sure it will change - its not like we have weeks of hot weather here usually a couple of weeks if we are lucky!!).

Hope it warms up soon.

Julie

Houses here even new ones are built to keep the heat out and also to cool down quickly in the hot summers. There is insulation, but in the main no one has double glazing. Houses are not centrally heated either, you can have ducted gas heating or electrical heating. A lot of the older houses will only have heating like a gas fire in the living room. This is why it can be warmer out than inside until the sun sets. Cold weather like today is usually limited to a couple a year, but the days are ususally warm and sunny by comparison.

We have not heated our house this winter, you get used to it.

Guest The Waite Family

:sad: Oh has been keeping his eye on the adelaide weather and said if it gets any lower than 10 degrees that's it we're not going :shocked:

Well that picture will probably be the nail in the coffin now - looks like we'll be heading to Darwin! lol

Just to rub it in for all those who are freezing their bits off - it was the hottest day of the year here yesterday!

Phew it's hot anyone got any ice? ;)

Guest Aussie pat

Unfortunately nowhere is perfect weatherwise. Darwin gets the wet season (monsoons). They say the suicide rate goes up at that time of year due to the humidity and all your clothes, curtains etc go mouldy because of the damp. They also get cyclones. In 1975 almost the whole town was destroyed by Cyclone Tracy.

I think I'd prefer a bit of short lived cold and ice. Just be careful to not jump out of the frying pan into the fire.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Houses here even new ones are built to keep the heat out and also to cool down quickly in the hot summers. There is insulation, but in the main no one has double glazing. Houses are not centrally heated either, you can have ducted gas heating or electrical heating. A lot of the older houses will only have heating like a gas fire in the living room. This is why it can be warmer out than inside until the sun sets. Cold weather like today is usually limited to a couple a year, but the days are ususally warm and sunny by comparison.

If the houses were built as "houses", rather than little more than "sheds", then they would realise houses can be built to keep the heat and the COLD out!:biglaugh:

sarah

Guest The Angus Clan
Sorry to rub it in but we're sweating over here today and it's lovely and hot for a change. Just remember the cold weather won't last in Adelaide just as the gorgeous weather won't for us.

Talk about the warm weather not lasting!! Was gonna post yesterday and gloat about Scottish temperatures but I knew I would be eating humble pie today - it has bucketed and boy what a thunder storm!! However , on a positive note , it has stopped my 6 year old digging holes in the lawn!! When I confronted her , she told me she was making a golf course!!!!!!:goofy:

Guest caoimhe
Don't be fooled by thinking Australia is lovely and warm and that winters are mild. It gets very cold so bring your woolies, blankets, fleeces and extra tog quilts in your container.

This was this morning .... brrrrrrr

Jonscrapesiceoffcar.jpg

My O/H says you better have "Photo Shop" the ice on to this photo or he's not going:biglaugh:

Guest paul_smart

Yeah but there it's cold then it warms up we are under a constant grey sky, we have had 3 days of summer this year and in winter your car is like that at 7pm? wanna trade places?

:shocked::shocked: You haven't heated your house????? Can only presume you all sit there wearing 7 layers of clothing each and three pairs of socks (like I am now and I'm STILL perishing frozen!!):biglaugh:

Ditto Liz,

my heating is on as soon as we wake up in the morning and back on when ever we return to the house too, we are freezing!!!

I bought blankets the same colour as my suite, so that they sit at the back of it and get dragged over us in the evening, even with the heating on.

We only have a gas heater in the family area and nothing in the lounge, we did buy a couple of convection heaters which do the trick to take the cold air off of the bedrooms and help to heat the main living areas up along with the gas heater.....then comes the electricity bill!!! Be warned it's not cheap!!! We nearly had a heart attack yesterday when it came in.

My O/H says you better have "Photo Shop" the ice on to this photo or he's not going:biglaugh:

Nope, it's real alright! That's why I thought I'd better give you a reality check. It doesn't warm up until beginning of October either!

Winter heating in Adelaide is treated the same way as summer cooling in the UK - there's not enough of that kind of weather often enough to make it worthwhile for many people. Many newcomers to Adelaide make the mistake of not getting heating throughout the house, and that means that most of the house is too cold for 4-5 months of the year. Sadly, central heating as the UK knows it (gas-fired radiator central heating, the best heating of all) is non-existent in Adelaide. The next best, for me, is reverse cycle ducted Air Conditioning. That's warmth in winter, and cool air in summer. Perfect! I am looking now at places to rent on my return with my lovely new wife on September 1, and anywhere that doesn't have that kind of heating and cooling is immediately rejected. And remember that I have lived in Adelaide for 18 years.

Entrepeneurial heating engineers might like to consider the business opportunity afforded by bringing proper central heating to Adelaide.

Another hint to those of you moving to Adelaide is to make sure your car is air-conditioned. You WILL be thankful in summer. Oh, and lose that Halford's scraper. Luke-warm water clears the ice in about 5 seconds on the coldest UK day, with which Adelaide can't begin to compare. I always have a laugh when I see people scraping their windscreens. Maybe it's character-building.

Guest guest569
Nope, it's real alright! That's why I thought I'd better give you a reality check. It doesn't warm up until beginning of October either!

:chatterbox: Come on michelle stop scaring them !!!! It will be hot and sunny in 6 weeks and we'll all be tanning ourselves around the pool.:jiggy:

Guest Deb17
:chatterbox: Come on michelle stop scaring them !!!! It will be hot and sunny in 6 weeks and we'll all be tanning ourselves around the pool.:jiggy:

We've been in the sea in August before, still officially winter time! - It will be up to twenty degrees in a fortnight's time, I betcha - plenty warm enough for a splash in the waves!