utilites, broadband.

carryon

Hi, could anyone suggest an electricity supplier and internet/phone server, internet wise i would say we are moderate users and would like wireless if possible, not sure if we can get it in Port Willunga though! Any recomendations would be appreciated,( Or any to avoid). Moving into house monday week so need to get things sorted ASAP.

Cheers guys:)

Simon.

Guest Ozzygirl

Hi'a Guys

Congrats on the house, thats coming round quickly.

We use Internode for the internet, they have been pretty good so far. With regard to an electricity supplier both Origin and AGL are pretty much the same just go for the one with the best offer on at the time

Angie

Regarding wireless internet connections: provided you can have an ADSL (broadband) connection, you can use a wireless router.

In a lot of cases, if you have a wireless router already in the UK - don't sell it. Routers can cost a fortune, and it is possible to change the broadcasting channel so you can still use it in Australia. I know for a fact that my Netgear router has a menu that you can load in Internet Explorer (load the router's IP Address in Internet Explorer) and you can select a country from a list.

If you have laptops etc, you can still use them even though you've changed the frequency of the router, it'll still pick it up. It just means you won't get interference or fiddle someone else's connection in Australia!

We are using adam internet adsl+2 very fast 20gb download for 54.00 a month but they do cheaper packages.Being in moana though you need to check who supplies it as not nany go down that far so ive been told. You will need at least 5gb allowance if kids are using comp, for skype,dowloading lots ofpics etc more if dowloading movies and tv prog / online gaaming etc :)

Guest kenmcfadyen
Regarding wireless internet connections: provided you can have an ADSL (broadband) connection, you can use a wireless router.

In a lot of cases, if you have a wireless router already in the UK - don't sell it. Routers can cost a fortune, and it is possible to change the broadcasting channel so you can still use it in Australia. I know for a fact that my Netgear router has a menu that you can load in Internet Explorer (load the router's IP Address in Internet Explorer) and you can select a country from a list.

If you have laptops etc, you can still use them even though you've changed the frequency of the router, it'll still pick it up. It just means you won't get interference or fiddle someone else's connection in Australia!

Thanks for that info Luke - if only I had it on Friday when I put ours in the bin because our stuff was shipped over!! Ho-hum!

We are hoping to move to Moana in October so this is invaluable info - thanks for starting this thread!

Ken:notworthy:

In response to the last post... is that a USB wireless dongle that Vodafone are supplying you with which works off the Vodafone network (mobile broadband basically)

The trouble with those is if a network has poor coverage in your area - well you're screwed into a 2 year contract then!!

T-Mobile is pathetic here for me for mobile broadband. :arghh:

In response to the last post... is that a USB wireless dongle that Vodafone are supplying you with which works off the Vodafone network (mobile broadband basically)

The trouble with those is if a network has poor coverage in your area - well you're screwed into a 2 year contract then!!

T-Mobile is pathetic here for me for mobile broadband. :arghh:

Im screwed anyway luke, we are going home soon.

and have to pay the two year contract

Lauraxxx

Im screwed anyway luke, we are going home soon.

and have to pay the two year contract

Lauraxxx

Oh dear Laura, what happened?!?

How much is that going to set you back?

Guest J-inOz

Don't go with Virgin broadband. It can be really slow at times and the phone keeps cutting out when you are talking to someone, it happened 3 times in one call. Also it takes forever to get through to customer service. It does sound a good deal, which if none of these problems happened, it would be. It's ironic that their number is a 1300 number, these numbers aren't included in the $60

This is the cheapest one I could get as Bigpond wireless is much more expensive and for less gigs.

If someone in the government could pull their finger out and get something done about the poor reception of ADSL in Hallett Cove, then we could get it. The ads for super fast ADSL really p's me off, especially when they say it has great coverage. I bet even the aborigines can get it at Uluru, better than Hallett Cove.

Typical of SA though, they never want to spend any money where it is needed.

Julie

So it's just about the same as everywhere in England then?

Meh. Can't say I give a toss. I'd rather be there than here. :arghh:

However. Cheat the system. Get Bigpond's ADSL connection and get a router from somewhere else, if you already had one in the UK, you just need a converter for the phone line-in and you're sorted.