here in oz

duncan-clan

I have been thinking about this for a while now....ive been in oz since april i live in mawson lakes i work for renault as mechanic and everyday it feels like im on holiday seems strange i know, i watch uktv on foxtel and i get zoned in on the programme and for a split second i have to remind myself that im not in uk anymore all my stuff is here which makes it feel like home but when i look out of the window and see the hills it reminds me im in australia. sometimes i llok at car number plates and it reminds me of spain but the words on the bottom say SA THE FESTIVE STATE thats when i know im here in adelaide

alex

Guest vikkiann

Holidays are fun!

Are you enjoying life in SA?

Have you made new friends?

I'm curious because i am getting so nervous about making such a move and am wondering will it be like going on a holiday that you never return from.

Sorry for all the questions!

Vikki

I have been thinking about this for a while now....ive been in oz since april i live in mawson lakes i work for renault as mechanic and everyday it feels like im on holiday seems strange i know, i watch uktv on foxtel and i get zoned in on the programme and for a split second i have to remind myself that im not in uk anymore all my stuff is here which makes it feel like home but when i look out of the window and see the hills it reminds me im in australia. sometimes i llok at car number plates and it reminds me of spain but the words on the bottom say SA THE FESTIVE STATE thats when i know im here in adelaide

alex

Hi. my partner Andrew is a Mechanic. We have booked our flights now and shoud be in Adelaide at the end of October. Feelings ranging from scared to excited. Hows the job situation for Mechanics... read on hear that the wages are quite low??

Is Mawson lakes near Adelaide hills then?

Carole:v_SPIN:

Guest rockpool crab

alex

Hi there,

It's hard to tell if your happy or sad by your posting...

I guess you've been in the UK for soooooooooooooooo many years that it must take a while to adjust. If you think how long we've been indoctrinated in the UK way of life and it must be a human reaction to look for a way of life that we know..i.e. "foxtel" tv. I can only imagine the surreality you must be going through. All I can say is ..I guess it gets easier with time and all that you may perceive as odd at the moment will one day feel quite real and normal. Listen to me..you'd almost think I lived in oz the way I'm talking ..but ...I "prelive" these thoughts practically on a daily basis so can totally empathise with what you're saying. It must feel like a holiday as you've probably never been away from your "normal" UK life apart from on holiday...so you relate it to that. I know I will...and fully expect to feel like I'm on holiday for a while when I get there.

I really appreciate the honesty of your posting :-)

Kind regards..hopefully meet up one day..who knows.... carol ann

alex

I know exactly what you mean Alex, we've been here for a year now and it still feels a bit surreal. We do all the day to day things, Richie goes off to work and I take the kids to kindy/playgroup/swimming/ballet etc and as I'm driving along I can see the sea sparkling, the most brilliant blue. I do the shopping, the cleaning, hang out the washing and I can see the beautiful Onkaparinga hills rolling away in the near distance. I really can't wait for summer again when it will feel even more like being on holiday with all that lovely sunshine and the start of the bbq season! And by the way, it's SA THE FESTIVAL STATE, although it is quite festive as well!!! Wanna borrow my specs hun??:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest salisbury massive

We've been here 3 years and I still get goosebumps driving the kids to school with the Adelaide Hills in the background. We recently had some first time friends over and it was great to look at Adelaide with fresh eyes, you take so much for granted when you are settled and doing the routine every day. When I get to the bottom of my road, I've got Port Adelaide spread out below me, on a sunny day I can look at that view for hours.

I've got a yellow crested cockatoo in my garden that goes mental every time I'm out there, squawking at me from the tree and last week I had a massive Yellow breasted eagle fly over my head with about 20 rosellas chasing it going mad.

Its the little things that make the difference.

Jo