Five days to go!!

Guest isandev

Guest isandev

Cannot believe it is finally here!!! We have all been going through the whole range of emotions and saying goodbye to good friends on a daily basis has been terrible. The kids have been very emotional and each time they have left a friend they have said they do not want to go to Australia, leaving us feeling guilty for taking them away.

We know in our hearts that it is the right decision and have absolutely no thoughts of changing our minds but just want to let people know what to expect as we never thought it would be quite so heartbreaking. I dont really think we realised how much we think of some people until we have said goodbye and it surprised us even more how much they think of us. We have yet to say our goodbyes to our closest friends and relatives and really are dreading it but again, we know we are doing the right thing.

We are now busy packing and bickering on a hourly basis and dont understand where all the stuff we have got has come from. We are now on our seventh case and we have still got masses of things to pack.

Cant wait to get over there now and get settled into our new life just wish we could bring everyone with us.

Hope this post does not sound like we are moaning just wanted to prepare everyone for the big moment.

Gavin and Fi

Moaning? Not at all, I guess most on here, Aussie side, can relate to what you are going through!!

I see you are still on line, you must be pulling a late one, its 7.30am here in Adelaide.

Good luck with packing and don't forget your toothbrush!

Judi x

Guest bigjez

Hi, We wish you all the luck in the world. We fly out on the 10th September and like you the goodbyes are just awful. We have our leaving party at the end of August and am really excited about it but dreading it at the same time. I don't think i've ever cried as much and I know its going to get worse in the next few weeks.

Where abouts are you going to? Take care and it will all be so worth it when you get there. Jo and Jez x

Guest isandev
Hi, We wish you all the luck in the world. We fly out on the 10th September and like you the goodbyes are just awful. We have our leaving party at the end of August and am really excited about it but dreading it at the same time. I don't think i've ever cried as much and I know its going to get worse in the next few weeks.

Where abouts are you going to? Take care and it will all be so worth it when you get there. Jo and Jez x

Hi,

We have got a short term rental in Seacombe Heights for 4 weeks and then are looking around Flagstaff Hill and surrounding areas although the quality of the school will dictate where we settle.

What about you, any areas in mind?

Guest bigjez

Hi,

We are staying at Jez's brothers and his family who emigrated in December last year, he lives in Hewitt which is just outside Gawler. We are going to stay with him for a few weeks until our container arrives and will be looking around different area's when we get there. We have looked at Flagstaff Hill aswell, it looks really nice there. I think you need to see things in the flesh so to speak though and get a feel for the place. We like the look of Grange as well. We would like to live quite near to the coast but will have to see when we get there. We will keep looking at the threads with your updates when you get there and wish you all the luck in the world in your new life.

Take care and have a safe journey Jo and Jez x x

Guest isandev
Hi,

We are staying at Jez's brothers and his family who emigrated in December last year, he lives in Hewitt which is just outside Gawler. We are going to stay with him for a few weeks until our container arrives and will be looking around different area's when we get there. We have looked at Flagstaff Hill aswell, it looks really nice there. I think you need to see things in the flesh so to speak though and get a feel for the place. We like the look of Grange as well. We would like to live quite near to the coast but will have to see when we get there. We will keep looking at the threads with your updates when you get there and wish you all the luck in the world in your new life.

Take care and have a safe journey Jo and Jez x x

Thanks Jo. Hope everything goes well for you as well.

Take care. x

Cannot believe it is finally here!!! We have all been going through the whole range of emotions and saying goodbye to good friends on a daily basis has been terrible. The kids have been very emotional and each time they have left a friend they have said they do not want to go to Australia, leaving us feeling guilty for taking them away.

We know in our hearts that it is the right decision and have absolutely no thoughts of changing our minds but just want to let people know what to expect as we never thought it would be quite so heartbreaking. I dont really think we realised how much we think of some people until we have said goodbye and it surprised us even more how much they think of us. We have yet to say our goodbyes to our closest friends and relatives and really are dreading it but again, we know we are doing the right thing.

We are now busy packing and bickering on a hourly basis and dont understand where all the stuff we have got has come from. We are now on our seventh case and we have still got masses of things to pack.

Cant wait to get over there now and get settled into our new life just wish we could bring everyone with us.

Hope this post does not sound like we are moaning just wanted to prepare everyone for the big moment.

Gavin and Fi

It doesn't sound like a moan at all. I think most people underestimate how hard the last few weeks will be, the emotional stress is enormous. We got married a month before we left so I know a fair bit about emotional stress! Stay strong, your true friends will always be your friends whilst others may stay in touch for a while before fading away. Sad but true. You know you're doing the right thing for you and your children and that's what is most important. Good luck!:)

Hi Gavin & Fi

We leave the day after you on the 17th August, so going through much the same things as yourselves. I really dont think anything can prepare you for the reaction of family & friends when you are just about to leave, my mother still refuses to discuss the fact we are leaving and we have only a few days left in the UK so she really needs to get used to the idea,she also says that she & Dad are too old to visit so they will probably not see us again (feels like emotional blackmail) .

We have a final meal planned with them tomorrow night and the rest of the family so hopefully they have accepted the fact we are leaving and will visit us when we get there.

Hope everything goes well for you.

Cheers

Derek & Jak

Guest graandjac

:)Everything you say is very right ........believe me the hard bit is just about to begin.....dont get me wrong not trying to put you off......just prepare, the last goodbyes suck, but you get on the plane and take a huge sigh.

You will question the move when you arrive , and even though not many will admit it most do...???. But give it a few months to settle get into your daily routine as soon as you can and it then becomes clear its a better place to be (only my oponion of :biglaugh:course)good luck cheers Graham

Guest TC for short

If it's any help, my kids are at Craigburn Primary at the Coromandel end of Black Road (the main road through Flagstaff). They seem happy & it seems quite a good school. It's "zoned" which means there are more kids wanting to go there than there are places. We also checked out Coromandel Valley Primary which is not yet zoned but does the International Baccalaureat which could be more portable. Seems good too. Our decision was based on the fact that the kids can walk to Craigburn & at the mo we have only one car.

Guest neilrhian

Hi Gavin and Fi,

Just want to say that what your feeling is only natural its like a roller coaster isnt it, we have been here for 18 months now and my son who when in England didnt want to come is more aussie than aolt of aussies he loves it, Adelaide is a great place and were sure you'll love it any probs get in touch with us neil and rhian

PS were are u going to live

Guest swampo

We have got all of this to come in 8 weeks time so not looking forward to it at all. Party on 13th September to say goodbye to our friends, daughters wedding on 20th September then the flight to Adelaide 9th October. Can't imagine what it will be like, just keep thinking of Mom standing on the doorstep waving goodbye on that last morning. Still, the world is a smaller place what with all the skype, webcams etc. so you can still see each other, just no hugs. My best friend and I have agreed, no sending Christmas/Birthday presents, we are going to have a 'Wine and Web' session instead, no matter how early or late the hour. It made me smile to think of us doing that.

Good luck with flights and starting your new lives.

Kev & Mall

Guest isandev
Hi Gavin & Fi

We leave the day after you on the 17th August, so going through much the same things as yourselves. I really dont think anything can prepare you for the reaction of family & friends when you are just about to leave, my mother still refuses to discuss the fact we are leaving and we have only a few days left in the UK so she really needs to get used to the idea,she also says that she & Dad are too old to visit so they will probably not see us again (feels like emotional blackmail) .

We have a final meal planned with them tomorrow night and the rest of the family so hopefully they have accepted the fact we are leaving and will visit us when we get there.

Hope everything goes well for you.

Cheers

Derek & Jak

I can understand what you are going through with your parents as we have friends in a very similar situation. I am sure that when they realise that they have not put you off the idea they will come to terms with it and will come and see you. I have thought long and hard about it as Fi is an only child and it feels to me like we are taking the grandchildren who she adores and spends lots of time with away from her. It must be like a nightmare come true for her but we are lucky enough that she is relatively young and loves travelling and is keen to come to Australia for long periods before hopefully retiring out there (cant believe i am encouraging my MIL to live with us :realmad:).

Hope the meal goes really well, you enjoy your last few days with your family and your parents come to terms with it all.

Have a safe journey and hopefully see you on the sunny side.

Gavin and Fi

Guest isandev
Hi there

Good Luck and as everyone has said stay strong and focused on your ultimate goal. This bit really is the hardest, nothing can make it any easier, just remember why you started on this journey. Will hopefully get to meet you on the other side. Have a great flight!

Lindsey

Thanks Lindsey,

Have you thought of anything you want us to bring over for you?

Cheers

Gavin

Guest isandev
Hi Gavin and Fi,

Just want to say that what your feeling is only natural its like a roller coaster isnt it, we have been here for 18 months now and my son who when in England didnt want to come is more aussie than aolt of aussies he loves it, Adelaide is a great place and were sure you'll love it any probs get in touch with us neil and rhian

PS were are u going to live

Hiya,

We are hoping to settle in the Flagstaff Hill area (depending on the schools), we have a short term rental in Seacombe Heights for four weeks. Where are you and how have you settled?

Thanks for the support it is more than welcome.

Cheers

Gavin and Fi

Guest isandev
We have got all of this to come in 8 weeks time so not looking forward to it at all. Party on 13th September to say goodbye to our friends, daughters wedding on 20th September then the flight to Adelaide 9th October. Can't imagine what it will be like, just keep thinking of Mom standing on the doorstep waving goodbye on that last morning. Still, the world is a smaller place what with all the skype, webcams etc. so you can still see each other, just no hugs. My best friend and I have agreed, no sending Christmas/Birthday presents, we are going to have a 'Wine and Web' session instead, no matter how early or late the hour. It made me smile to think of us doing that.

Good luck with flights and starting your new lives.

Kev & Mall

You are dead right and promising the kids that they will be able to see their friends on webcam has made it so much easier for them. I like the idea of webcam and alchohol but as i usually start to take my clothes off when drunk it may not be such a good mix!!!!

Hope all your plans go well and have a safe journey.

Cheers

Gavin and Fi ( Gavin is the one who undresses when p****d !!!)

I can understand what you are going through with your parents as we have friends in a very similar situation. I am sure that when they realise that they have not put you off the idea they will come to terms with it and will come and see you. I have thought long and hard about it as Fi is an only child and it feels to me like we are taking the grandchildren who she adores and spends lots of time with away from her. It must be like a nightmare come true for her but we are lucky enough that she is relatively young and loves travelling and is keen to come to Australia for long periods before hopefully retiring out there (cant believe i am encouraging my MIL to live with us :realmad:).

Hope the meal goes really well, you enjoy your last few days with your family and your parents come to terms with it all.

Have a safe journey and hopefully see you on the sunny side.

Gavin and Fi

Cheers for those words, have a good journey and hopefully we will see you on the other side.

Derek & Jak

Derek & Jak

Guest isandev
If it's any help, my kids are at Craigburn Primary at the Coromandel end of Black Road (the main road through Flagstaff). They seem happy & it seems quite a good school. It's "zoned" which means there are more kids wanting to go there than there are places. We also checked out Coromandel Valley Primary which is not yet zoned but does the International Baccalaureat which could be more portable. Seems good too. Our decision was based on the fact that the kids can walk to Craigburn & at the mo we have only one car.

Hiya,

Thanks for your message. Craigburn will be one of the schools we will be viewing. Just a couple of questions if you dont mind.

How did your manage to get the children into the school if demand is so high?? How do they prioritise placements is it through proximity to the school?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Gavin and Fi

Hi

Just wanted to wish you all the very best. It must be very emotional - its one thing I'm not looking forward to the goodbyes (OH says I'm worse than Severn Trent for leaking!:biglaugh:), but it will all be so worthwile once you're there and settled in.

Again, wish you all the best for your new life - hopefully will see you in the not too distant future!

Kim and George x

Good luck to all who are about to take that final plunge. We fly 3rd september and i feel constantly ill with the stress of it all, yet to say our final goodbyes,but our youngest (16) relly does not want to go he is always crying or just angry with us for taking him away from all that he knows, hope soon to be telling you all that he has settled in to a new life down under. Keep strong remember why you want to go and see some of you soon in adelaide su billy and boys

Guest cazzie

Hi there,

Very best wishes to you all. We leave on 30th August and I am feeling very emotional. My mum and children don't say much at all but we are all feeling the strain. I am trying to be optimistic and I am really looking forward to the adventure ahead. It will be worth it I am sure. Good luck and I hope you settle in quickly.

Cazzie x