A bit of an odd question?

Guest LukeM

I don't know really how to put it, but I've not seen an awful lot about well - religion in Australia!!

I don't know anything about it.

As a Christian, I guess my most straight-forward question would be... are there good modern churches in South Australia and also what is the state like in terms of well it's riligious 'youth' sort of 15-17/18 year olds who are Christians?

Anybody who can sort of give me some guidance along those lines that'd be really helpful!

Guest vikkiann

I'm not in Australia yet but i was under the impression that SA is very religious with loads of churches.

I may be wrong but it's only what i've read and heard.

Vikki

Guest moonraker1959

I lived in Adelaide for 30 years,and although its "The city of churches" I would'nt say the people there are overly religeous.Of all the time I spent there I only knew one old couple who lived opposite my mum who went to church regularly.I lived in the hills in a smallish country town and only went to church at Xmas and I have to be honest and say there were not alot of people there,maybe half a dozen!I guess re teenagers it would depend what school they went to and if they did go to church regularly,they would probably meet like minded people.

Yes Paradise church has a big youth following. There are lots of "modern" churches in Adelaide, they are the only ones with growing congregations. There are lots of yoputh groups affiliated with these churches and there are some Christian schools which are low fee. There is also a university called Tabor that offers degrees in perfvorming arts, teaching etc.

Guest ali@51

Their are a wide range of churches in Adelaide. We have just been on a hunt to find a church that suits us in the North of Adelaide. I dont know what you are looking for but a good place to start might be Holy Trinity in the town center. It is a large fairly concervitive bible based church. It has numerous diferent services to suit most people. The family service is held in the cinima next door at 10am (trin@10) and their are a lot of childrens groups. My kids range from 9 to 2 and they were all in seperate groups. When we went their did seem to be quite a few teenages around but I don't know what groups their are spesificly for them. We were happy their but the journy was a bit to far for us and it was also a bit big. We have taken a while to find a good smaller local church for us so embarked on a tour of local churches. Their seems to be a church out their to suit everybody. Some we didn't feel comfortable with and some that just wern't for us. But their are a wide range of churches. On the whole I would say the style of worship is a lot more relaxed that in the UK. We have finaly settled at Tea Tree Gully Comunity Church. It is bible based and smaller than Holy Trinity. I think you will be able to find a church to suit you. Their is also a good Christian radio station Life FM 107.9.

I have a friend who is very involved with Paradise Church, so if you have any questions about that, I can ask her. In fact, although we are not religious ourselves, we have a large number of good friends who are - it's in a very relaxed way though, just a natural part of their lives and not something that you'd even know about unless you asked them. A lot of the Private Schools are also religion-based, so there are a lot of young people getting educated about the church in one way or another. There seem to be a lot of youth groups run by the various churches too which are very popular with teenagers (in my experience anyway). I am sure you will find somewhere that suits you, where you feel comfortable, and you certainly won't be the odd one out in any way!

PS If you'd been out here over the last month or so when the Pope was in Sydney for World Youth Day, you'd have seen plenty about religion in Australia - opened up some quite interesting discussions between the Anglicans and the Catholics too!!

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi there

I work in an office and did not realise that half the people I work with, are all very religious. The lady I sit next to (who is about 23) is very involved with her church - Paradise and she has been away on weekends away, has just organised a huge fashion show and modelled in it, and is always doing things with them and is always very busy - and there are lots of younger people there too because she is some sort of organiser/team leader. If you would like any details - let me know and I can find out more stuff.

I know the next big event she is involved with, is some large concert with Guy Sebestain (a chuch member who won Aus Idol a few years ago) and last years winner is also going along (can't remember his name, but he is about 16 but not a member of the church). They are always doing something ....

She showed me photos of the fashion parade and there were about 2,000 people there, so I have asked for some earlier warning next time, so I can take the girls along too, because it is not a pre-requisite to be a church member and it looked like a fabulous night out.

Good luck with your search

Sas

xx