feeling a bit down

ozzieclare2be

I am loving it here but i miss my mum so much, think its worse coz i have flu . Does anyone else have days where they feel crap and lonely? I wish i could be transported back for a few hours for a brew and a chat. Also my dads in hospital again and i feel so guilty fo not being there to support her but im doing what i can over the phone. I surely shouldnt be feeling like this after 6 weeks?:sad:

Guest Guest75

Sorry to hear you are not so well and down in the dumps,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It's the worst combination I'm afraid.

We've all been there,it's nearly a requirement I'm afraid.

(((((((((((((Clare)))))))))))):)

You'll get over it.

Will my keyboard though - it keeps missing letters out so I sound like Norman Collier:biglaugh:

Guest dunnarunna

i often feel crap and lonely but i did expect to, i was close with my mum and sister, and even mundane tasks like shopping here, i think ooh wish i could show mum that, so it often makes you feel down, i often feel worse after speaking to them as you then realise how far away they are. but you wouldnt be human if you didnt miss them and hopefully it will get slightly easier as time goes on, its only been 3 months for me.

donna

Sorry to hear you are not so well and down in the dumps,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It's the worst combination I'm afraid.

We've all been there,it's nearly a requirement I'm afraid.

(((((((((((((Clare)))))))))))):)

You'll get over it.

Will my keyboard though - it keeps missing letters out so I sound like Norman Collier:biglaugh:

thanks tyke thank god they have lemsip here:)and tissues

I am loving it here but i miss my mum so much, think its worse coz i have flu . Does anyone else have days where they feel crap and lonely? I wish i could be transported back for a few hours for a brew and a chat. Also my dads in hospital again and i feel so guilty fo not being there to support her but im doing what i can over the phone. I surely shouldnt be feeling like this after 6 weeks?:sad:

Hi Claire

I understand completely it would be great to have a time machine to pop back, this morning my Sons Nursery are advertising

Grandparents day where Gradparents can come in and have afternoon Tea with their Grandchildren, that's set me off today ( it doesn't take much) .

I have had to remind myself that my Grandparents lived in a different country but is till had a relationship with them albeit at a distance.

Have a nice day....................Chin up..

Hi Claire

I understand completely it would be great to have a time machine to pop back, this morning my Sons Nursery are advertising

Grandparents day where Gradparents can come in and have afternoon Tea with their Grandchildren, that's set me off today ( it doesn't take much) .

I have had to remind myself that my Grandparents lived in a different country but is till had a relationship with them albeit at a distance.

Have a nice day....................Chin up..

God i can relate to that especially when my mum said on phone she keeps looking at alex' pic. God im off again:sad:

Hi Clare, so sorry to hear you're feeling so low. It really can be hard for the first few months, I think whether you mean to or not you're still in holiday mode - even if you're working - and it leaves you feeling unsettled and like you should be packing ready to go back! I have to confess I miss virtually nothing about the UK except for my mum and my cat (sometimes not necessarily in that order...) but I still find it slightly surreal living here, even though we've been here a year. It WILL get easier for you I promise. When the summer comes and you're down on the beach with Alex you'll remember why you came here, especially when everyone back in the UK is shivering with the cold! Even better, maybe your parents will be planning a trip to come and see you all. Hope you feel better soon.:)

Hi Clare, so sorry to hear you're feeling so low. It really can be hard for the first few months, I think whether you mean to or not you're still in holiday mode - even if you're working - and it leaves you feeling unsettled and like you should be packing ready to go back! I have to confess I miss virtually nothing about the UK except for my mum and my cat (sometimes not necessarily in that order...) but I still find it slightly surreal living here, even though we've been here a year. It WILL get easier for you I promise. When the summer comes and you're down on the beach with Alex you'll remember why you came here, especially when everyone back in the UK is shivering with the cold! Even better, maybe your parents will be planning a trip to come and see you all. Hope you feel better soon.:)

Thanks hun i think your right about holiday mode maybe im just realising its come to an end . I doubt my parents will come over, my mum might in a year or two, dad has parkinsons and can bearly walk now:( so it will be too much for him. I cant wait for weather to warm up and hit the beach :daydreaming:. sorry for moping x

Guest katsmajic

Hi Claire,

feel free to pop round for a brew...anytime xxx

im not missing the uk, but i really miss my mum and my best friend...ive been putting off calling my friend cos i dont want to get upset..which is awful i know!

its normal to have moments, especially when your feeling under the weather, lol and the weather hasnt helped, but its definately getting better now!

keep your chin up xxx

Guest katsmajic

Im pretty sure our friend was lying to us when he said he'd only ever scraped ice off his car once in 11 years! been here 4mths and have already done it :err:

I think the 'bug' is compulsary, 2 of our kids had it, as did martin - his lasted 4 weeks or so before he shook it off completely...youve changed air/water/food etc so the body can get a bit funny about processing all these changes.:wubclub:

thanks kat, cant wait to shift this bug and im sure i will feel better. God i sound like a moaning cow at least we got here lol. Yes and where is the weather im freezing im sure im not really in australia:realmad:

Guest dunnarunna

i must say ive had the sniffles since i got here and up here in the hills it is so cold, i didnt want to be a wingeing pom either, but my house only has a reverse air heater in one room, i hate getting out of bed in the morning! bring on the sunshine so we can all moan its too hot:biglaugh:

donna

i must say ive had the sniffles since i got here and up here in the hills it is so cold, i didnt want to be a wingeing pom either, but my house only has a reverse air heater in one room, i hate getting out of bed in the morning! bring on the sunshine so we can all moan its too hot:biglaugh:

donna

same here we bought 2 small heaters from woolies , oh and who thought it would be great to have polished floors too, now wish i had carpet aside from being cold its bloody noisy with a 2yrs old! (whinging pom icon)

Im pretty sure our friend was lying to us when he said he'd only ever scraped ice off his car once in 11 years! been here 4mths and have already done it :err:

I think the 'bug' is compulsary, 2 of our kids had it, as did martin - his lasted 4 weeks or so before he shook it off completely...youve changed air/water/food etc so the body can get a bit funny about processing all these changes.:wubclub:

Yeah never though ot it like that. Alex has had it too but mine has gone on me chest (need to pack in the fags). chris is never ill, i think hes had 2 days off in last 7rs ive known him:notworthy:im off back to bed for a snooze x

Guest katsmajic

Im super mean...we decided we were going to get through our first winter without heaters...oh and its been painfull...weve had our 1 and only heater on 4 times - when friends have come round on an evening - the rest of the time we use the fleecy throws we bought with us. (its really nice being snuggled up on the sofa with the 2 lil kids on an evening :) )

Kids all have fleecy pj's, big duvets, fleece blankets etc so im not that cruel really!

Kat we haven't heated our house at all this winter, due to ancient electric wiring, you do actually get used to it. Last winter when the sockets started to melt we stopped plugging in the heaters so cold house then too.....funny though when mygirls went over to England October last year they found the houses too hot and stuffy.

Guest lee and joanne
thanks kat, cant wait to shift this bug and im sure i will feel better. God i sound like a moaning cow at least we got here lol. Yes and where is the weather im freezing im sure im not really in australia

Hiya,

just catching up with messages

Ozzieclare. Have to agree on temperatures. Bought cardi in the sales yesterday. Sick of feeling cold. The sun did show itself a little though and felt a little warmer yesterday. Wearing my woolley jumper and padded jacket and scarf. LOL

Starting to buy logs for the fire as I just can't seem to get warm at night. Does anyone know how much longer its going to be before the weather changes?.

Clare, I know how you are feeling regarding family as I have been here 5 weeks:(. At least you are working.

We came over here with my OH being an Electrician. So to cut a long story short. When it comes to work, with my husband working away for nearly ten years and working shifts I have never had the oportunity to get a really good/satisfing job. Left school with more qualifications than him. Took A'levels and achieved nothing. Never had family support so I could work more hours. Only ever managed to do part time so I could be there for the boys. Had plenty of opportunities over the years to progress but had to turn it down. FELT LIKE A SINGLE MUM:arghh:.

Coming here my qualifications are not recognised and being as old as I am I think they are obsolite now. So I have decided to start a course. Nothing exciting but it will get me a job at the end of it. So I am feeling quite isolated at the moment. Lets hope we all feel better when the sun does finally come out.:)

Right here goes,Just to let you know, I'm a little shy when it comes to meeting new people to begin with. But if you lot fancy a girly natter with someone who knows what you are going through and doesn't finish every sentance with NO worries LOL. I am very happy to drive your way, being seaford.

If you are all busy, thats OK. Promise to leave me a message next time you have a meeting. Would be nice to meet Augustees as we have been in touch now for a year this month.

Jo x

Guest dunnarunna
Im super mean..

:biglaugh:my sort of girl, i did buy some more heaters but im too tight to put them on (prob should have bought more fleecey blankets), im used to a colder house (but not to the extent of blowing steam from mouth indoors:shocked:) as didnt have central heating in england, its just here the huge single glass windows let out any heat you made so you prob have the right idea, not waste the heat in the first place.

donna

Been here (Adelaide) a couple of months now.Does it ever stop raining!! Have decided to build an ark outside just in case! It does remind me of home though.

Think we all feel down at this time of year no matter where in the world you are.

Came here via melbourne in january so i do know it gets lovely and hot. looking forward to some heat and the bbq.

Think it seems much colder up in the hills or is it my imagination.

Thanks hun i think your right about holiday mode maybe im just realising its come to an end . I doubt my parents will come over, my mum might in a year or two, dad has parkinsons and can bearly walk now:( so it will be too much for him. I cant wait for weather to warm up and hit the beach :daydreaming:. sorry for moping x

Oh Clare, My mum also has Parkinson's disease,she sometimes talks about coming out to Australia but the truth is she very rarely leaves the house now and when she does she has to be accompanied by someone, she is only 62 and needs assistance with most things able bodied people take for granted.

So even when people have been well meaning and said she'd be alright ............ I know myself that its not going to happen and I wouldn't want her to make it all the way here only to spend all her time dreading the Journey back.

Things will improve for you I guarantee , the summer here is beautiful and throws a very different light on things , I cant wait to get down the Beach after work with my little lad and have some fun.

All the best

Michelle .

Guest Super Senior

Give yourself a break, six weeks is no time at all , some of us who have been here for a whole lot longer than that also feel the way you do at the moment. Unfortunalty parting from our family is just about the hardest obsticle we have to overcome, but hey, think on the positive . Your Mum will apprectiate your concern over your Dad and I`m sure your `phone calls help a lot. Mum`s are stronge people and she will cope after all she has had to deal with all sorts of drama`s in the past hasn`t she ? Summer is on the way, you will feel better then, take care

Hi there,

sorry to hear you are feeling blue!

I must be abnormal, cos I don't miss anybody but did have a tears last week, but only because my husband misses his family and wanted to move away from here to go to Florida, he still wanted the sun on his back, but be close enough that they could visit a few times a year. But it was not to be (thankfully).

I was more upset at leaving here that I was the UK, has anybody else felt like that?

My OH was upset at leaving the UK, but fine about leaving here, I guess that makes it even, but I would have followed him to Florida as I couldn't bear to go through life seeing how upset he was. I will settle anywhere as long as we are together.

I think at some point most people do have a dip in their emotions, but come through it as they know they didn't leave because of their family, it was for the want of a different life.

Heres a HUG x

Hope you feel better soon

Give yourself a break, six weeks is no time at all , some of us who have been here for a whole lot longer than that also feel the way you do at the moment. Unfortunalty parting from our family is just about the hardest obsticle we have to overcome, but hey, think on the positive . Your Mum will apprectiate your concern over your Dad and I`m sure your `phone calls help a lot. Mum`s are stronge people and she will cope after all she has had to deal with all sorts of drama`s in the past hasn`t she ? Summer is on the way, you will feel better then, take care

now i do feel like a winging pom:(, i was the one out of the 4 of us siblins that helped parents alot in terms of dads prob (being a nurse), arranging respite , just generally being there, etc so its hard no to feel guilty. I hope by the time i have been here a hell of alot longer i dont feel like this.

Guest Tiddlypush

Hi clare

reading your post made me in a strange way feel slightly less guilty for planning to leave. Im a midwife and the only girl amongst 4 of us and my mum suffers with polymyalgia. she is still in chronic stage at present. she can shuffel around the house but needs a wheel chair when out. Although at present we are 200 miles away we speak every couple of days on phone and she came to visit for few days last week. Alos when she has an acute attack I am able (work permitting) to zoom up m5 to see her. my brothers are useless when it comes to illness and communication for that matter but I have wonderful sister in law who does all the everyday stuff for me.

which hospital are you working at and how have you found it?