Where are our nice winter days??

Guest SA Great

Guest SA Great

I don't know about you guys but I just can't get over how cold it is!! This must be the coldest winter of all time!!! Am I just going soft or is everyone feeling the "nip"!! I'm looking at my shorts thinking I will never wear these again, but in the summer I will think the same thing about my jeans! Whinge, whinge, whinge!

Brisbane always looks tempting to me at this time of the year even if they do have cockroaches the size of budgies!

Guest katsmajic

Hiya, apparently this is the coldest august since records began...we were beginning to think we were lied to!!! hottest and driest state in oz....

saying that we have seen mount bold res, and it was pretty sorry looking - hoping its filling up a bit now.

Guest graandjac

:pWingeing Pom.....i have had a t shirt on at work now for 2 weeks.........cold...!!!;)its a perfect time of year just like a uk summer....lol cheers Graham

Guest SA Great

Give me one of those 40C days where you put your sunnies on that have been left in the car and they burn your nose!!! Or you have to wrap a handkerchief over the gearstick because it's too hot to touch!! Love It!

Guest Alipally

Not arriving until the end of September, so I don't mind what the weather is doing in August!

I sure hope it starts to get warmer in September though!

Ali x

Guest katsmajic

The last few days have been noticably warmer, i was sat in the garden reading my book the other day - bliss...

its more to do with the houses not being centrally heated - im not moaning, just shivering :biglaugh:

thats the last time i put my heater on for you gra :P:p

Guest sarahsmartiepants
They say that every year! :biglaugh:

It's the wettest winter I've experienced so far. They say that when its been a wet winter, just wait for those flies in the summer! :err::huh:

Thanks Michelle, I had forgotten all about the flies:arghh:

Guest swampo

Perhaps you all need reminding of how cold our UK summers are!!! August - foul, rain, windy and cold. Top temperature over the next couple of days is just 20 degrees, and that's only between the showers. It was so cold two nights last week we had to put the central heating on and I wore my bed socks (which I had to retrieve from the packing) cos my feet were so cold. Whatever the weather over there I am sure it can't be as cold as it is over here!

Can't wait to get there in October!

Cheers

Guest caoimhe
:pWingeing Pom.....i have had a t shirt on at work now for 2 weeks.........cold...!!!;)its a perfect time of year just like a uk summer....lol cheers Graham

You tell them Graham, look at a lovely summer day in Northern Ireland. This was last Saturday, Sunday was dry and its raining again today

A clear-up operation is continuing after flooding across Northern Ireland. The emergency services are continuing to work to clear the Broadway underpass in Belfast, which at one point was submerged under 20ft of flood water.

Guest Alipally

kinda reminds me of the Stratford on Avon and Evesham piccies from last 'summer' in the UK!

Now someone has mentioned the flies, I'm thinking that I'd like the weather to dry up a bit now!

Too late to change my mind now, the container is on it's way, my house is sold and the flights are booked a paid for!

What can you do to reduce the fly burden in your house during the summer? I'd better get the advice now!!

Ali

Guest sarahsmartiepants

The little buggas dont get inside if you keep the fly screens shut, its the outside that is the problem.

I totally forgot how annoying they are when you are eating outside!

sarah

Guest J-inOz

This is our 3rd winter and our coldest so far. The last 2 were nothing like this year. There were lots more sunny "spring like" days.

We arrived in 2005 and the summer that year was the worst for flies that we have experienced, so I don't know if the winter of '05 was wet. But yes, they do say if you have had a wet winter, the flies are bad for summer. I am definitley wearing a hat with a net on this year because if the flies are bad, they will drive me insane. They try to get into every orifice (sp?) possible and it's not nice when you are trying to mow the lawn and you get one stuck in your throat. urghh!

We also torment ourselves with looking at the Gold Coast weather reports and seeing all those yellow sunshines and low 20's temperatures makes me yearn more to live in Queensland.

Julie

Guest sarahsmartiepants
It's been the coldest we have known in the 8 years we have been here.

We are chewing through firewood.

:)

There are surely some much nicer things you could find to chew through!!!

I will ignore the "we need the rain" comment!:arghh::biglaugh:

sarah

well this is my 31st winter here (well not quite as some of those were spent in UK), you can get cold winters, mild winters,and you can get wet winters, I remember it raining for weeks with only a few days break in between; but one thing you can be certain about there will ALWAYS be heat in summer, maybe not the mega heatwave we had last summer, but there will be one.

When I started at high school, the classrooms had 2 bar heaters (the small kind meant for grannies) screwed onto the wall at head height. This was to heat a room meant to fit 25 kids and 1 teacher! Luckily by midwinter gas heaters had been installed. There was no air conditioning, only ceiling fans, again 2 and to get the benefit you had to sit right under them. Bus home on the vinyl seats, windows open, leaving a wet sweat mark on the seat when you get up. Kids these days have it lucky.

Guest CARMEN

When is it gonna stop raining here ?! These summer hols area washout, kids are stuck inside moaning, they're bored and driving me insane - sound horribly familiar to anyone out there

:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Guest Aussie pat

I suppose there is some comfort knowing you're not the only one. We are having the same problems. I've been in the UK 13 years and have never seen a summer this bad in that time. I've given up looking out the window each morning to see what the weather's going to be like. Have hardly worn any of my summer clothes. Living in jeans and long sleeved tops.

When is it gonna stop raining here ?! These summer hols area washout, kids are stuck inside moaning, they're bored and driving me insane - sound horribly familiar to anyone out there

Guest caoimhe

Soooooooooooo familiar, mine our back to school next Tuesday-I CAN'T WAIT:biglaugh: