Adelaide jail

ozzieclare2be

We went a few weeks back. It has funny opening times so call ahead. Open on Sundays though.

Its quite an interesting tour. There are guided tours or you can follow the map and take yourself round.

Boy, that had it rough back then, prisoners now don't know how lucky they are. In fact the jail was closed down only in the 1980's, so not that long ago really. You also get to see where prisoners got hanged and their graves within the prison walls.

Yes its apparently haunted. I didn't see anything eerie but it was really cold walking around, so wrap up warm.

If you are brave enough some cells have been turned into over night accommodation but don't expect the Ritz, the cells are just with double or twin beds, mattress and blankets, thats it. No ensuite there!!

Not really a place to take small kids. My boy is 5 and he got bored after a bit. :SLEEP:

Judi x

Guest FlyByNight

Hi there, came across your post whilst surfing PIA and if you are into jails (not in the literal sense!) there is an old one you can visit in Willunga. It incorporates the old courthouse too.

We visited it on our recce last November and it gave a good sense of how the rural community meted out justice. One thing was a bit disconcerting though - there seemed to be a part of the old jailhouse which was occupied (curtains / plants etc). And I don't think they were celestial.:huh:

My daughter had a school trip there last year and I went as an accompanying parent. I have to say, I'm not usually someone who senses atmospheres or anything, but I found it a really eerie place, especially the places where they buried the hanged prisoners - incredible feeling of sadness about the place, and I am not surprised at all that it is haunted. I had heard they had stopped doing 'sleepovers' there because of Health and Safety, but maybe they've upgraded or something and restarted. Definitely a place to take kids when they are maybe 12 or 13 and starting to form opinions about the world; if they are even slightly pro capital punishment, this is the place that brings home to them exactly what that means in human terms.

I was amazed how relatively recently they were still hanging prisoners there too. And the story of the last woman who was hung, and how probably she wasn't guilty at all, just got on the wrong side of a few do-gooders - makes me shudder even thinking about it.

thanks for the replies i might check it out. I love history, and im not necessarily into gaols but the atmosphere is spooky. I went to kilmainon (sp) jail in dublin a few years back and it felt weird like a presence was with me. Not long after i traced my family tree and it turned my great great great grandfathers brother had been a prisoner there , i even have letters he wrote, how spooky:shocked:.

:biglaugh:Chris is thinking im odd now as someone at work has loaned me a book about australias most prolific serial killers too, no wonder i cant sleep:swoon:

Guest The Pottertons

We visited on our trip and had a great time. Had the most boing tour guide though and by the end the poor people that stuck with him (we sneaked off!) looked as though they were doing time!:biglaugh: Really historic place though and fascinating. Felt quite sad looking at the graves though!:sad: Yvonnex

• 8 months later...
Guest Bristol_Matt

Has anybody seen 'Black and White' starring Robert Carlyle?

They were 'promoting' it inside the Gaol, well it got a very small section anyway.

Guest katsmajic

My daughter's year group are having a school trip there next month - sleepover included...feel sorry for any spirits that may be loitering around!

Guest motlyman

Been there and there is a very cold feel about it.

My daughter went there the other day and while filming with her camcorder caught a ghost on film:huh:

At the top where its all locked and fenced off someone "walked past" at the top of the stairs.

Colin

Guest countdown1975

Kilmainham jail in Dublin - just up the road from where I work. That is spooky and the fact that you still have letters. I am mad about history and have been reading up the gaol - one of the places I will have to visit when we move. I went to the one in Cork city a couple mof years ago and that had a weird feeling to it - hubby and I were the only two people in there at the time which probably heightened the feeling.

Any other recommendations?