Just wondered what people found the most useful

laura girling

Hi all,

I was sat here with my lap top thinking of the things that we learnt as the days passed since being in Oz, I thought I would share theese thoughts and maybe people can add their own.

It may help you or me.

Lauraxxx

You can buy a 5 litre box of red wine 13% Paddle wheel not bad for $9.99, bottles are quite expensive.

Certifying your papers officially can be done for free at West Lakes Library.

You can get help with money towards your rent at Centre link if you have Perm/Res.

You can hire great DVD's at the library for free.

Cleland do a year membership for around $100 for a family

You are not recommended to eat the shellfish ie mussells and crabs from the lakes, due to pollution.

Coles sell a great spray that keeps spiders out of your house for at least 6 months for $10.

Coles on the Torens Road Woodville sell proper English Marmite (MY MATE) $4 something.

When you go to get an Australian driving licence they do not keep your old English one.

Its cheeper to drive to the nearest train station and catch a train, than to park in the carparks in the city:)

They don't know what the little flashing lights are on the side of their cars!!!

You can haggle for pretty much everything, except food and beer. It's great fun!

Winter doesn't last long, thank goodness!

You can use the library for internet access when you first arrive, to give you time to get your own sorted, they also have a toy lending library which helps for the little ones while you are waiting on your own things arriving.

They have a sausage (pepperami type thing) in foodland called a bum burner!

The majority of aussies are really friendly, even in mcd's

It's not as bad to get around in Adelaide as first thought, everything is in a grid.

Aussies have breakfast to justify having a beer after it!!! Mmmmm, i'm loving it already x

When they ask you in Coles/Kmart etc if you have FlyBuys - this is a loyalty-type card, they are not asking if you have been bitten by any flies....:)

The traffic police/speed cameras are REALLY hot on speed limits (and speed cameras can be hidden, traffic police even hide up trees with their speed gun)

The sun is really really strong - always have a hat, suncream and sunnies about your person

When you order chips in a takeaway, "Minimum Chips" will easily be enough for four people

You can order books/cds/dvds/jigsaws/books on tape for free from the library online, then they send you a text message when it comes in - and if you are late taking things back, the fine is maximum about $2 (unless you lose the item altogether)

You need a license for your dog, but not for your TV (and the dog license is cheaper if your dog is desexed, microchippped, and trained to a certain level)

1. It only takes 4 weeks to buy a house from start to finish

2. Tinted windows is a MUST

3. The fine for not wearing your seat belt is $250 and if you get caught using your mobile phone while driving thats another $222

4. You are not allowed to smoke in a car if you are carrying children. Thats about $200!!!

5. O'sullivans Beach and Tangari Reserve in Woodcroft are great places to walk your dog off leash............. all year round.

6. Most of the park/reserves have free gas BBQ's so pack up you picnic and meet your friends

Guest swampo
Great idea! I'm not there yet, so picking up loads of tips - especially like the spider spray if it keeps em out I'm happy - what's it called?????????? I'll buy a crate of it!!! lol - does it work on huntsmen's too??

Yes please, name that spray and I will order two crates of it!!! Have got my OH to make me a 'huntsman catcher', it's a 2 ltr plastic measuring jug and he has made a 2 1/2 ft handle for it o that don't have to get too close. All I need now is somthing I can slide underneath it so that I can get them through the door and out of the house. I think Huntsman spiders are good for the garden??? so don't really want to kill them, anyway, how can you squash something the size of a hampster - doesn't bear thinking about, need to go back into therapy now!!!!:wideeyed:

Anymore bright ideas for dealing with these large beasties? Have no concience about spraying the smaller ones.

Guest deb and stoo
Yes please, name that spray and I will order two crates of it!!! .

Yo dudes

Mortein or Baygone are pretty good at keeping the wee beasties out, you spray them around the outside of your house and you are protected for 6 months. We have only met a few huntsmen, the biggest about the size of your average hand but they soon run off when you stand up to them and put up a fight. Our biggest visitor last year was a rather large blue tounged skink we named Brian http://www.flickr.com/photos/stoobru/2150539257/in/set-72157602154277685/

He lived in our garage for a week and then wandered off, probably looking for huntsmen to eat :arghh:

Guest Guest75

Don't say "I've put a joint in the oven"

Seems such a waste when you could smoke it............:goofy::goofy:

Don't say "I've been rooting in my suitcase"............ (Day 1 in Aus to our neighbours - by Mrs Tyke). That caused some giggles.:biglaugh:

Guest dave48

second hand cars here are very expensive. you have to pay a fee to the school for every child which goes towards their books pens excursions it is about 250 dollars.

Guest tib3riuz
:)Hello Laura,

Nothing to add on coz Im still not there yet..Just wanted to say "Great Idea" and thanks for starting it

Regards: Vinder

Hi Vinder ,

I was going thru the fourm and noticed tht your from Miri , Malaysia . I am from Kl , where are you planing to come to Adelaide ? Just wanted to say hi !

Patvinder :jimlad:

Guest Rachael

You can get help with money towards your rent at Centre link if you have Perm/Res.

Am I right in thinking you can only get rent assistance if you are claiming another benefit e.g. child benefit?

We went to centre link and they said we couldn't get rent assistance because we had to be claiming another benefit first. Were we fobbed off?

R

Am I right in thinking you can only get rent assistance if you are claiming another benefit e.g. child benefit?

We went to centre link and they said we couldn't get rent assistance because we had to be claiming another benefit first. Were we fobbed off?

R

Hi Rachael,

I honestly don't know.

i think we got it due to very low income, although i know others have claimed it.

What type of visa do you have?

perhaps you should put the question on here as your own thread.

Hope this helps

Lauraxxx

I just remembered some more.

Invest in some fold away chairs and keep them in the boot of your car, these are used at the beach, watching kids football and other sporting activities.

Its really funny the first time you see a kids football match and the parents pull up with their chairs and cool boxes!

Just to add,

You have to park the car in the direction of the flow of traffic, its illegal to park the other way.

Coles english section also sell Colmans Mint sauce as well as English Mustard

You must wear a helmet when riding a bike.

You actually get arrested for J walking, my OH witnessed this in the city, just before he was about to cross the road. lol

Ozzie TV is better than English and there is no licence to pay.

When you see adverts on tv the actors are real people like Adelaide furniture and electrical, Ive been there and was served by Joe, lol

Very catchy advert. Hey Joe how do you keep your prices so low, its second hand well you wouldnt know.

Lol

Play station, DS games that you buy here work on English.

DVD's dont if they are a different region.