Olympics Medal Tally

Anne B

There has been a lot of pleasure here in England (or should I say Great Britain) that we actually beat the Aussies in the Medals Table in Beijing. :notworthy:

Before the Olympics started the Australian Sports Minister had a bet that the Brits wouldn't beat them - which she has now lost. She will now have to wear a Team GB T-shirt at a major sports event in Australia.:biglaugh:

My husband (Australian) has been getting a lot of good humoured stick at work over this. I also suffered in 1996 when living in Adelaide and the Brits only won 1 Gold medal at the Atlanta games.

I thought this was funny, the Sun newspaper having a laugh at the Aussies expense. The video of the Aussies response is good too......... http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1608056.ece

They were really annoyed that the British beat them, they said "it hurt". I was upset watching the Olympics as they only showed all the events that the Aussies were in, I wanted to watch and see how the Uk was doing. I'm not sure why they don't like the English!

Lynn

It's not that they don't like the English, it's just an old rivalry that goes way back. Australia has been on a roll in the sporting arena for many years, but those athletes/ sportsplayers are retiring and it will take a while for the new ones to shine through. The Olympics coverage is always to do with the Aust teams, because they are Australian networks. Australians are probably mostly interested in watching their country's competitiors. Anything else is covered by SBS oron Foxtel. Until recentlythis was the way with soccer too, but Australia's performance in the World Cup changed people's outlook on the game and there is more coverage on mainline TV.