Wanted Down Under Back On TV ! !

Guest MitchKeza

Guest MitchKeza

Hello PIA People,

BBC2 are showing repeats of the Wanted Down Under series. If you havent viewed it before its compulsive !!!! BBC2 17:15 Mon-Fridays...Mitchkeza.

I have inside knowledge :biglaugh: as my friend is an estate agent here in Adelaide, that they are making a new series at this very moment.

She was contacted by the researchers, as the house on her books was one a British couple selected to see, right here in Hallett Cove. They filmed it last weekend!

You heard it first right here!!! :cute:

Judi x

Guest Libby1971

We nearly had a second 'revisited', but we haven't done anything to be exciting enough to film!!! :biglaugh:

Is the programme the revisited from last year or the original?

Guest Lisado

Hi all

I am off sick from work at the moment and have seen this for the first time this week. All I have seen so far is Perth or new Zealand. Is it next Monday (1st sept) when this will be shown with Libby? I will tape it as I am expecting to be back at work then :sad:

Thanks, Lisa

Did they actually ever do a whole series devoted to New Zealand?

The problem with the show is that you kinda watch it... but then you see all the different places in Australia and you think "hmmm maybe I should try and get to WA/QLD/NSW/ACT/Victoria/NT etc instead" but then we already have job offers in Adelaide and stuff so that fluffs it a bit doesn't it? :arghh::biglaugh:

We nearly had a second 'revisited', but we haven't done anything to be exciting enough to film!!! :biglaugh:

Is the programme the revisited from last year or the original?

Hey Libby

Just watched the wanted down under programme featuring you and your family in Brisbane. It was so moving!

Sorry if the question has been asked before, but when was this filmed? and how did you end in in Adelaide?

Carole and Andrew:wubclub:

hi everyone

i watched it tonight also - didnt see this thread before so i was stunned to see libby - i was watching for ages before i put 2 + 2 together !

it was the original programme tonight libby in queensland and though ive seen it before back in jan07 i thought it was fantastic - even more so when i realised who i was watching ! i thought it was fantasitic as i realised i had followed someones journey the whole way through without realising if you see what i mean. from making the decision to go to oz - to realise queensland wasnt for them and decide on adelaide instead (as i had watched their revisited programme) - to the kids hard times and then to realise this person i was watching on the telly was actually settled in adelaide and was our very own moderator libby - just great

cant wait to see tomorrows show - apparantly adelaide - yeehaa :jiggy:

all the best

sjs

Sorry if the question has been asked before, but when was this filmed? and how did you end in in Adelaide?

Carole and Andrew:wubclub:

yes Libby,

I am also wondering why you choose Adelaide over Queensland/Bris. What is the difference between the two states.

lyn

Guest Libby1971

My youngest was starting to outgrow her severe eczema just before filming started. We were concerned about the humidity and whether this might trigger it again. We also realised that the houses nearer the city were out of our budget, or would have left us with a really high mortgage payment. If we had done that, both of us would have had to work full time meaning we'd only see the girls at weekends and holidays and that wasn't why we came. However, if we moved out of the city into areas we could afford, we were moving to areas where job opportunities were fewer.

However, the facilities were great, good public transport, loads to do, clearly a city.

However, in the UK we lived in a market town in Oxfordshire. We wanted a family atmosphere, near the beach (we just wanted to be near one, as it was 2 hours to the nearest one in the UK), with plenty of job opportunities. We liked the way that Adelaide was portrayed and well, to be brutally honest, we came on a PR visa, and thought if we absolutely hate it, we can go somewhere else.

However, Adelaide came up trumps. Adelaide is apparently the asthma and eczema capital of Australia but the youngest isn't affected, I am! I work full time while OH is at home doing all the jobs that drive me nuts, and he is thoroughly enjoying them while co-ordinating the home improvements.

Work opportunities are good, we are 25 mins out of the city (out of rush hour) so have plenty of options, we still have a mortgage but it is more manageable and OH is planning to go to work but no rush yet. Kids have all the facilities they want and we are 10 mins from the beach.

Homesickness is much better. My sister and aunt have stopped crying whenever I call them which has made it much easier to settle. PIA has introduced me to some amazingly wonderful people who I am thrilled to be able to call my friends. I have discovered that I do like wine - I have sampled quite a bit since arriving, ask Nick11 - and am starting to feel more relaxed. I don't feel that Adelaide is my home YET, but it is somewhere that I don't mind living in long term. Plus I am popping back to the UK for 12 days in the next school hols, woo hoo! Thorntons, watch out!

Thanks for your kind comments

Libby, great show last night, its nice to see a face behind the name.

Has your daughter settled into life in australia as she wasn't sure at first if she wanted to go? That must have been hard. I was actually wanting to know how long it took you to retrain as a teacher? Did you start from scratch (career change) in order to emigrate? My OH has retrained as a joiner in order to emigrate and at the moment it feels like we will never get there, but I know we will.

Anyway i'm glad everything worked out for you and your family.

Joanne x

Guest Libby1971

From beginning to end, it took us 11 years, yes that is eleven years.

I was pregnant with Sophie when we decided to make the move. I had to do an Access course to get into university (2 years), then did the degree (3 years full time), then a year teacher training. Then we had to get the work experience necessary for the visa - we almost had the 18 months needed and the requirements got changed to 3 years. Just afterwards my Dad was given a year to live so we stayed with him for the inevitable. After that we began applying and our visa came through17 months after we first approached a migration agent. The skills assessment was submitted in April (it took us 3 months to get one letter which seriously held things up), the visa application went in May 2006, the meds were requested Nov 06 and we got the visa Feb 07.

Emily is wonderful. We took part in the WDU revisited series last year (it was aired in Jan/ Feb) and I should imagine some re-runs will accompany this showing too so watch out for Emily then, what a difference!

Great to see a success story Libby. Makes everyone here in the U.K believe it will happen one day, 11 years is a long time and just shows when you want something bad enough there are ways of getting it (haven't worked out how to win the lottery yet).

As Joanne say's, its great to put a face to the name.

Can't wait to see WDU revisited.

Emma +

Alicia (6)

Guest hrubieszowianka

I've just watched Libby and her family on BBC iplayer (what a great tip from somebody!). It was so brave of you all to take part in a TV programme! A wonderful thing though, it helps others so much. Now I'm going to watch somebody in Adelaide and try to have positive thoughts about our move (once we sell this house :arghh:).

Guest Libby1971

Everything shown on BB2 at the moment is a repeat. Series 1 and Series 2. Then it may be the revisited programmes, and finally, if done by then the new revisited. I assume a third series is being filmed.