What to Organise?

Guest caoimhe

Guest caoimhe

I sure this has probably been done before but I can't find it:goofy:

I have been advised to get a notebook and make a list of what needs to be done before going ie quotes from removal companies

So just wanted to pick peoples brains about what I need to organise in case there are things I haven't thought about.

I am also wondering what to do when we sell the house. We can't fly out the next day as we would still have bills to sort out and bank a/c to close etc and none of our family have room for 6 of us, What have most people done?

Guest Aussie pat

Hi Jacqueline,

We are moving into a friend's holiday let on her farm for a few weeks after we complete on our house. Off season you can get a good rate and they are fully furnished etc. They don't ask for references or a bond. You can then ship your gear.

Don't forget to let the UK pension people know of where you end up as they will write to you at that address when you turn 65 and organise for you to get your UK pension.

Hedy

Guest caoimhe

Don't forget to let the UK pension people know of where you end up as they will write to you at that address when you turn 65 and organise for you to get your UK pension.

Hedy

Do you mean state pensions?

Hi Jacqueline, good idea to start a list now. I had lists everywhere when our visa came through, but then I was trying to organise our wedding as well! When our stuff was shipped out we went on holiday for a few weeks and then visited various family members around the country for another couple of weeks until we flew out. It was a bit of a gipsy life and we lived out of a suitcase from June to September but we managed! Not sure, but I think Hedy probably means private pension providers. Believe me, the government will ALWAYS know where to find you!:biglaugh:

My parents have a week left in their house and a 2 weeks before they fly out here (for good) so too are living the gypsy lifestyle for a week.

They've planned it so they'll stay a few nights in my (empty) house with nothing but a mattress and then 2 nights at the airport hotel before they get on the plane!

They are in the 60's but don't mind this one bit as to them its part of the adventure :huh:

Judi x

Guest Aussie pat
Do you mean state pensions?

Yes state pensions. They say that they will write to you when you turn 65 at the last address you have recorded with them even if it's overseas. I know it seems a long way off (I'm 47) but it's the sort of thing you might forget over the years and it's money that will come in useful one day. As they owe me money I'd rather make sure they know how to find me just in case. I've just added it to my list of things to do once we're settled (yes another list, sorry).

Hedy

Guest Nick11

I'm sure theres a website called yellowbrickroad - maybe someone could find the proper address that gives a month by month checklist of things to do before emmigrating.

Guest caoimhe

Thanks guys found a great list on Adelaidebound-should have checked there to start with:goofy: but after getting an offer on the house my head is buzzing especially lying in bed when trying to sleep- why is that the only time of day my brain works:idea:

I even remembered last night (while trying to sleep) that my Dad is going to Adelaide in October to see his brothers and doesn't know how long he will stay. He is retired and his sister works for British Airways so he can get an opened ended ticket for about 200quid, sickening I know. The last time he went to OZ he was upgraded the whole way to Business class and all he paid was £150:arghh:

So anyway he has a 2 bed apartment so all being well if we complete the house early November we could move in there and I could borrow his car too- needless to say I haven't told him this yet:biglaugh:

Thanks guys found a great list on Adelaidebound-should have checked there to start with:goofy: but after getting an offer on the house my head is buzzing especially lying in bed when trying to sleep- why is that the only time of day my brain works:idea:

I even remembered last night (while trying to sleep) that my Dad is going to Adelaide in October to see his brothers and doesn't know how long he will stay. He is retired and his sister works for British Airways so he can get an opened ended ticket for about 200quid, sickening I know. The last time he went to OZ he was upgraded the whole way to Business class and all he paid was £150:arghh:

So anyway he has a 2 bed apartment so all being well if we complete the house early November we could move in there and I could borrow his car too- needless to say I haven't told him this yet:biglaugh:

that sounds great jac hope all goes to plan with you guys

suexxx

p.s. sorry missed you last night will catch up another time xxx

Guest Nick & Jo

Hi Jacqueline

The thing I wish I had done was start using up my food stocks sooner - the few weeks before we left we went to so many family and friends gatherings, we didn't use as much food at home as we thought, I ended up giving loads of dry goods away.

Also have a look on the SA immigration website if you are unsure about any items of doubt for the container. We had three items confiscated - a strimmer which hadn't been cleaned (Nick's fault!), a Xmas decoration made of twigs and an old snakeskin handbag. So they do go through things thoroughly as we had around 60 packing boxes which must have been checked. Actually after we got here, at my induction day at TAFE we had a talk from immigration about things you can and can't send into the country, and it was really useful but too late for us by then!

Also don't go with the cheapest shipping agent, we were disappointed with the one we chose and became uneasy with them before we left but by then it was too late to change our minds. We are still unpacking our boxes at the moment and have found quite a few broken items so far. I will be posting a thread when we have finished unpacking everything to let everyone know who they are, but in the meantime if there is anyone coming from the Bristol area, PM me and I will give you their name to avoid!

Basically go with your gut instincts.

Good luck with the lists!

Jo