6 months in - the story so far

cormcvcr

Well we touched down in Adelaide just 6 months ago today and it's quite a strange feeling. Part of me feels as though I have been here a lot longer, but I remember leaving Scotland as if it were only yesterday.

We arrived at the start of the heat wave, which was totally unexpected as we had just left minus 7 and snow blizzards, so were not prepared and nearly collapsed with the heat when we stepped off the plane.

We have family here, who met us at the airport and took us back to theirs to stay for a couple of weeks until we had our rental furnished and ready to move in. We had started renting the house we are in a few weeks before we came over, just to make sure we could start our new life pretty much right away.

Only draw back of arriving on 2nd March, was that it was mothers day in the UK. We had organised flowers to be delivered, with a card attached, but because of the time difference when we landed and also exhaustion taking over later on in the day, we didn't get a chance to phone our mums and to be honest we had actually forgot. I think we left quite a lot of our brain cells on the plane! So members of our family were a bit upset by this, :arghh:not the mums though as they were in tears with the flowers.

Anyway, we started shopping for cars, tv's and other household items after a couple of days so that we could move into our house. We did pay a little more for some items like beds etc as we needed them right away and couldn't wait the 6+ weeks for deliveries. So spent quite a bit more than expected.

Andy got a job right away and we got the kids into school as soon as we could. I opened up my own company and then Andy went self employed too. On the work front Andy is really happy he is self employed and enjoying himself, he had worked on his own for so long that he found it quite difficult to then work for somebody else. But this has worked out well for him now. I am still plugging away at my healthy eating company but trying to get a job to get a bit more financial security and help with the bills.

The kids love their school and settled in right away. There are kids at the door every day for our two to go out and play. They joined the football teams within the school and we started coaching this too and got our coaching badges through the FFSA, so we are official. It's such a big change for the kids to be able to go out and play and not have to worry too much about being too dark and the terrible weather that went with it in Scotland. We are really proud of them for adapting so well.

It's now the start of spring and we are looking forward to the outdoor lifestyle that is Australia and doing what we came here for. More family time and enjoying the sunshine.

Andy has had a fair few wobbles since we arrived, but it was an accumulation of missing family, working for somebody else and basically being out of the comfort zone that was his life in Scotland, but I'm very pleased to say that this has now settled and we are looking forward to continuing our adventure.

So for all those who are still waiting on their visa, we wish them the very best of luck.

PIA has been a fantastic help to us with all the advice and humour it has to offer, but most of all to the amazing people we have met through this and no doubt many more to come. :notworthy:

The advice I would give right now is that if somebody offers you assistance or a hand of friendship......take it.....you have to, it's the only way to develop a social circle and get the answers you need. After all you too can put out the hand of friendship yourself to others who have just arrived and going through the exact same as you did at the start.

So glad things are settling down for you and you can now look forward to the great things on offer here especially in summer. I remember when my hubby became self employed, but Adelaide being the way it is, if you do a good job, you get passed on and then you end up with too much work, especially as there are a lot of cowboys on the painting scene.

Rach

Good post, Glad you are settled now. Time goes so quick, seems like yesterday we was in the UK reading that you had arrived. Now we have been here 3 months now!!

Hope you continue to enjoy the life here and all that it has to offer and will agree that you have to grab every opportunity that you can of offers of advice and everything else.

Great Post hun. We all have our ups and downs as settling in is not a bed of roses to begin with.

You have such a positive attitude its infectious. Good luck with the new businesses, you'll get there!!

Take care

Judi x

great to hear that you haven't got any regrets!!

and that andy and the kids have settled down now and are happy and you of course!!

you sure reach out to everyone and offer your help ... and i'll take it :P

see you soon!!

Guest caoimhe

. There are kids at the door every day for our two to go out and play. They joined the football teams within the school and we started coaching this too and got our coaching badges through the FFSA, so we are official. It's such a big change for the kids to be able to go out and play and not have to worry too much about being too dark and the terrible weather that went with it in Scotland. We are really proud of them for adapting so well.

quote]

This sums up our reasons for wanting to migrate

Thanks for a lovely post Cornelia

Guest donna T

Congratulations on your first 6 months. :jiggy:

I know it has been a bit rocky at times so fantastic that now things are settling down. You are so positive and have worked very hard to get to where you are, well done!

Donna x

Hi Cornelia

Glad to hear you have settled in to life in oz. where in Scotland are you from? My family and I just moved out in July2008 from Edinburgh and we also are living in Hallett Cove. At the moment feeling a bit homesick and if being honest a little lonely as my husband got a job quicker than expected ( not complaining though) however it's resulted in me being left home alone with a three yr old for company.Glad to meet up for a coffee if you or anyone are free.........

Lesley

Guest graandjac

:notworthy:The advice I would give right now is that if somebody offers you assistance or a hand of friendship......take it.....you have to, it's the only way to develop a social circle and get the answers you need. After all you too can put out the hand of friendship yourself to others who have just arrived and going through the exact same as you did at the start....:notworthy:

For everone on there way this is a great piece of advice, glad to hear you have settled in to the adventure.cheers Graham

Guest Libby1971

I heard it said that you get out of life what you put into it. In this case, your life in Adelaide is bound to be really positive, as that is how you have thrown yourself into everything. It seems like you have been here longer than 6 months.

Congrats to you and your family xx

Cornelia, it is so good to hear that you have settled in after 6 months and it will just get better for all of you. As you may know, I have arrived 2 days ago and to be honest, I cried virtually all of the first day but have only cried twice today, so an improvement already! I loved the sunshine, blue sky and the amazing sea view, but feel unsure about it all. I am really aware of the huge thing I have done, but hopefully once the jetlag has settled, I will feel stronger. Take care and good luck with everything you do. Cazzie x

Thanks everybody for all the good wishes, it was an easy move for me to make and I felt that I was always meant to come here, the kids had their wobbles about friends before they came over but now its "friends who?"

It's easier for some than others, but there is always something there that will take you by surprise and you will get emotional, but it's a natural feeling and good for the soul to realise how fortunate we are. After all, we are doing what a lot of other people can only dream about and I mean, the ones who say "Oh you're so brave, I would love to do that", but in reality they would if they really wanted to.

So good luck to all and the hand of friendship is always here no matter who needs it, just as it has been shown to me. x

I can't wait for the next six months now!!!