Hello and a Big Thank you to all on PIA

Guest Toby

Hi, I have been lurking in the background (I promise I wont do this when I get to Adelaide!!!!!) for some time on this site and would just like to thank all the contributors for the information that has been left in your forums which helped me immensely when we were making our application for our Visas, I did the application without an agent and don’t think it would of gone so smoothly without all the posts about peoples experiences of applying being left on this site.

Although this is the 1st time I have contributed, I hope to become a regular contributor and look forward to meeting most of you on one of your monthly pub outings.

OK. Introductions. I’m Dave 38, my wife is Rachel 32, Jake is 12 and Emily is 9. We live in Stockport near Manchester at the moment, We got our Visa on 28.8.08 and accepted an offer on house on 2.9.08 and are looking to emigrate by the end of November if all goes well with the house sale (Keep your fingers, toes, legs & anything else you can think of crossed for us).

We haven’t decided where to get a rental at the moment so will be picking your brains as to the best places to live and the best schools.

Anyway, just thought id say thanks, hello and introduce myself.

Hi

Great time to arrive, as the weather will be warming up nicely for you by then (it's a beautiful morning today by the way!) What line of work will you be in, as that may help narrow down some areas?

Might be a good idea to think about getting the children into a school pretty quickly after you arrive, as then they'll have a chance to make some friends to meet up with over the long school holidays - they break up about mid December and are off till end January. Both children will probably still be in Primary School in November (Primary covers years Reception to 7 inclusive, although some schools are Reception all the way through to year 12). If you're not limited by jobs as to which areas to look at, I'd recommend basing yourself somewhere fairly central and having a good look around at all the different choices. Hills, beach, easy reach of City, flat, hilly, tree-y, new housing, older housing - loads of choice!!!

Good luck - the time will fly!

Oh, and Judy is coming over for the Emigrate Shows again in October (I'll double check dates and places) so if you want to chat to someone who lives here (and knows everyone!) go along and say hi to her on the Home2Home stand!

Diane

Sounds like you are set to go.As Diane says November is a good time to go , it's warming up and everyone's getting ready for the summer. Do get your kids into school asap even if they are only going to have 4 weeks, before the holidays. This was me when I arrived as achild and it meant I had some friends for the holidays and they were 8 weeks long back then instead of the 6 now. All the outdoor pools will be open and also there are sport workshops over the holidays if your kids are interested. There are also life saving classes in local pools in the summer. If your kids haven't done much swimming (or can't) get them into it now while you are waiting to come, because most kids here are very confident with water, it's a big part of their lifestyle.

The dates of the shows if you (or anyone else) are/is going along to them are:

Liverpool Aintree - 4th & 5th October, Home2Home can be found loitering on stand 19 with Immi2Oz

Coventry Stoneleigh Show Grounds - 11th & 12th October, stand 14 right at the front with Migrate Mates

Do go along and say hi to Judy if you're at either of these shows, she'll be able to answer any questions you have about living and working in Adelaide (and if she can't, she'll know someone who can!)

Diane

xx

Hi

Oh, and Judy is coming over for the Emigrate Shows again in October (I'll double check dates and places) so if you want to chat to someone who lives here (and knows everyone!) go along and say hi to her on the Home2Home stand!

Diane

I enjoy going to the emigration to oz shows, we have picked up street maps and loads of stuff to help us once we get over. Is it just called the 'Emigration Show?' Do you know how we book it? We live not that far from Aintree and haven't seen anything advertised. Any info gratefully received.

Hi, I have been lurking in the background (I promise I wont do this when I get to Adelaide!!!!!) for some time on this site and would just like to thank all the contributors for the information that has been left in your forums which helped me immensely when we were making our application for our Visas, I did the application without an agent and don’t think it would of gone so smoothly without all the posts about peoples experiences of applying being left on this site.

We only live up the road in Dukinfield ,and would just like to wish you GOOD LUCK and well done. Hope you have a great time in adelaide,should be joining you soon when we sell this goddam house :arghh: , need to be there soon to activate visas.

Wayne n Louise

Hi Mary;

scrub the last post.........

emigrate2.co.uk; shows are £8 per adult, kids go free under 16; doors open 9;30.

You can pay on the day, if you want! Demo's and talks cost £5 each pass, which i think is a lot..... and the aussie ones are in the afternoon.

Ask and you receive, my friend:)

Ta Di, you really are a top bird :). I was thinking of going but Tony not as keen as me to go, we have been to a few now...... I don't think I will pay for the demo though. Let me know if you are definately going, I am in work tomorow and will find out if I am off that day, will PM you on Wednesday, maybe see you there :jiggy:.

Mary

one does ones best:)

looks like the sunday for me, the oh has his birthday on the 4th, so i expect he will want a quiet day!

how's your registration coming along; slowly in my case, and the blighters wont respond to my e-mails.

i am starting to get panicky, moving out of my house in 5 weeks, got nowhere to go:arghh:

tc

jane