11 days in... and still here

Guest cazzie

Hello everyone,

I am emailing from Bill's place of work as I have no email access at home yet. I thought I would give you an update on things as they stand right now.

For the first week - I think I almost hated it! The beautiful view, the weather, the spaciouness and the peace and quiet after a very stressful life (teaching!) in England, just didn't cut it. I missed my family SO much and felt that it was just too far away. The thought that I can't give my big, handsome sons, fab daughters and lovely mum a hug, or hold my beautiful grandson, was just too much to bear. I cried a lot, I shouted at Bill and I felt utterly miserable.

However, the second week has been an improvement. On Monday we moved into our rental home in Seacliff - just a few minutes from the lovely beach - and we have been busy buying furniture and making the house homely. I have enjoyed doing this; helping Bill knock up the Ikea furniture and generally settling in. I don't think I have shouted at Bill once this week. We did sit down and have a heart to heart last night and I was VERY honest about how I was feeling and this has also helped. Today is the one and only day I haven't cried (but there is still time!).

I have just completed a 2 day Senior First Aid certificate and have passed so I feel that I have achieved something and that feels good. I have also met up with a couple of PIA people too - Donna, thank you for your warm welcome and Lorna, for your sofa and kind words.

We don't have email access yet as there is no phone line at home, but that will be resolved within a week or so and that will ease my feelings of isolation.

Overall, I still miss my family terribly - it is HUGE thing to do, moving this far away. But,

I am doing this for my husband and feel that I can begin to look forward and take on the challenge. I have arranged (if email sorted) to webcam with my family next weekend. I am really looking forward to seeing them; I know I will cry.

I guess the whole process takes a step or two backwards at times, but I know that is normal. Libby, your description of your experience in the bank really cheered me up, thank you - it is not just me who has felt negative about being here.

Apart from that, the things I like are: the weather - blue skies every day, the beach, the friendliness of just about everyone so far, having some time to myself to read properly and driving. I love driving here! The things I don't like are: the way the Aussie's shorten words - ambo for ambulance just seems lazy to me, the food shops are not a patch on Tesco, the bureaucracy of teaching etc. But really, it is ok.

As I type, I can see Bill working away on his computer and I feel really, really happy right now.

Best wishes to anyone reading this,

Cazzie x

That was lovely to read Cazzie, very honest. I hope things go well for you and hopefully as the days go by you will settle more and cry less. I'm sure it must be very hard to leave your children no matter how grown up they are. I really admire you for that and your children for standing behind you. You and Bill deserve to be very happy and I hope you will be.

Hello everyone,

I am emailing from Bill's place of work as I have no email access at home yet. I thought I would give you an update on things as they stand right now.

For the first week - I think I almost hated it! The beautiful view, the weather, the spaciouness and the peace and quiet after a very stressful life (teaching!) in England, just didn't cut it. I missed my family SO much and felt that it was just too far away. The thought that I can't give my big, handsome sons, fab daughters and lovely mum a hug, or hold my beautiful grandson, was just too much to bear. I cried a lot, I shouted at Bill and I felt utterly miserable.

However, the second week has been an improvement. On Monday we moved into our rental home in Seacliff - just a few minutes from the lovely beach - and we have been busy buying furniture and making the house homely. I have enjoyed doing this; helping Bill knock up the Ikea furniture and generally settling in. I don't think I have shouted at Bill once this week. We did sit down and have a heart to heart last night and I was VERY honest about how I was feeling and this has also helped. Today is the one and only day I haven't cried (but there is still time!).

I have just completed a 2 day Senior First Aid certificate and have passed so I feel that I have achieved something and that feels good. I have also met up with a couple of PIA people too - Donna, thank you for your warm welcome and Lorna, for your sofa and kind words.

We don't have email access yet as there is no phone line at home, but that will be resolved within a week or so and that will ease my feelings of isolation.

Overall, I still miss my family terribly - it is HUGE thing to do, moving this far away. But,

I am doing this for my husband and feel that I can begin to look forward and take on the challenge. I have arranged (if email sorted) to webcam with my family next weekend. I am really looking forward to seeing them; I know I will cry.

I guess the whole process takes a step or two backwards at times, but I know that is normal. Libby, your description of your experience in the bank really cheered me up, thank you - it is not just me who has felt negative about being here.

Apart from that, the things I like are: the weather - blue skies every day, the beach, the friendliness of just about everyone so far, having some time to myself to read properly and driving. I love driving here! The things I don't like are: the way the Aussie's shorten words - ambo for ambulance just seems lazy to me, the food shops are not a patch on Tesco, the bureaucracy of teaching etc. But really, it is ok.

As I type, I can see Bill working away on his computer and I feel really, really happy right now.

Best wishes to anyone reading this,

Cazzie x

Hah, she thought I was working, but really I was reading pomsinadelaide just like her! ;)

That was lovely to read Cazzie, very honest. I hope things go well for you and hopefully as the days go by you will settle more and cry less. I'm sure it must be very hard to leave your children no matter how grown up they are. I really admire you for that and your children for standing behind you. You and Bill deserve to be very happy and I hope you will be.

Hello and thank you for your lovely comments. I am sure that we will be very happy. Take care, Cazzie x

well done cazzie in posting how you have found things, certainly seemed to come from the heart.

Im sure each day will become easier. It is hard when you think about what you left behind especially having a new arrival in your family. Just think about later on when they can come and stay with you here in oz and you can take them to feed the roos and hold the koalas. !

The suns out now and that will certainly help you feel better.

stay positive and keep telling yourself why you did it in the first place

Good to hear from you again Cazzie, I am sure that each day will get better and better (although expect some downs at times). We will we in exactly the same position as you come 11th October and I know there are a few others, all similar to us, arriving around about the same time. So, it could be you offering tea and sympathy to us!

Just posted on Social thread re a possible meeting 15/16 November at Henley Beach. Hope you and Bill can join in.

Keep your chin up (in my case there would be a resounding 'which chin' from the family!). Hope to see you soon

Mall & Kev

Hi Cazzie, it's always good to read personal experiences from people who have made the move. It helps you realise that it is going to be hard some days but then reassuring to see that you will also have good days. thankyou again and I look forward to hearing more about your ongoing adventure and your new life.

take care

Jo x

Hello Swampo, Ian B, Jo and Steve,

Thanks for your comments, they are very much appreciated. I have had a good weekend - we went to the Adelaide Show yesterday and it was a lovely hot day. I enjoyed the fast rides and screamed my head off - I reckon I got rid of some tension that way! Today we went to the cinema to see' Son Of Rambow' - an excellent film and I went for an early morning walk along the seafront which was beautiful. We have caught up with Bill's kids quite a bit since getting here, which is good too.

This week we should sort out the home phone and broadband and my target for this week is to take the train into the city, find out how to obtain a tax number and enquire about teacher registration. Hopefully, having weekly targets will help me to keep focused and of course the weather is going to become warmer and sunnier - always uplifting.

Take care for now,

Congratulations Cazzie on getting through your first 11 days! We know exactly how you felt, I've posted several times on how miserable our first couple of weeks here were! I hope that now the sun has started to shine you'll feel even better about this beautiful City of Churches and all it has to offer. Good luck to you and Bill, we hope you'll be very happy!:)

Guest the warburtons

Hi Cazzie- Just hang on in there- it does get easier honest. Ricahrd and i have been here a year now and i still get terribly homesick,i miss my daughter so very much, but thanks to the wonder of webcam i get to see her and my parents every week and its a real boost. Just keep your self busy and get out and about as much as you can. I know exactly what you are going through and if it hets too much, you can always contact me, you 'll both be fine