One for Laura G

Guest graandjac

Guest graandjac

:)Just wanted to say that its great to see that things are turning around for your family and that maybe others not yet here should take note of this. There are some who dont give it enough time here as in my oponion it takes ages to settle , we love it here but nearly 6 months in were not 100% settled, well the brats and Jac are but i still need to find the right job with the right wages.

There are stories of people booking return flights in the first week....madness it takes time , yes some people just dont like it as believe me there is a culture shock and its not all about the sunshine but it makes a HUGE difference.......this weekend saturday was about 26ish so we had our first trip to Southport beach next to Port Noarlunga the parking at the beach is free, picure this:daydreaming: .....there was surfers.....body boarders...skimmers.....kite surfing ......fishing.....kids playing.......and everyone enjoying the beach and sea in harmony........fanbloodytastic, thats why we came here, life is not all about work, money ,rain and moaning about everything, for us it working hard which you do have to do here, and then having quality time with the kids and some great new friends, its work hard and play hard but you seem to have the energy to do it... so after fishing down the beach 5.30am.... back down the beach for a walk with ours and some friends kids......then back home to get the body boards and back to the beach for 2 hours , then a relaxing BBQ watching the sunset....total cost $20.00 did i mention i like the beach....way of track now....

Anyway give it time ...........and Laura its great to see you are turning the corner and i hope it works out for you, we all owe it to ourselvses after all the stress of the TRA...meds and waiting for that sticker...to give it a 100% and more when you get here through thick and thin, because in my mind its a good place to be.

P.s just off for a walk amoungst the roos in the Onkaparinga River reserve 5 mins from our door.................because i LOVE it:arghh::arghh:

Guest SA Great
:)Just wanted to say that its great to see that things are turning around for your family and that maybe others not yet here should take note of this. There are some who dont give it enough time here as in my oponion it takes ages to settle , we love it here but nearly 6 months in were not 100% settled, well the brats and Jac are but i still need to find the right job with the right wages.

There are stories of people booking return flights in the first week....madness it takes time , yes some people just dont like it as believe me there is a culture shock and its not all about the sunshine but it makes a HUGE difference.......this weekend saturday was about 26ish so we had our first trip to Southport beach next to Port Noarlunga the parking at the beach is free, picure this:daydreaming: .....there was surfers.....body boarders...skimmers.....kite surfing ......fishing.....kids playing.......and everyone enjoying the beach and sea in harmony........fanbloodytastic, thats why we came here life is not all about work, money ,rain and moaning about everything, for us it working hard which you do have to do here, and then having quality time with the kids and some great new friends, its work hard and play hard but you seem to have the energy to do it... so after fishing down the beach 5.30am.... back down the beach for a walk with ours and some friends kids......then back home to get the body boards and back to the beach for 2 hours , then a relaxing BBQ watching the sunset....total cost $20.00 did i mention i like the beach....way of track now....

Anyway give it time ...........and Laura its great to see you are turning the corner and i hope it works out for you, we all owe it to ourselvses after all the stress of the TRA...meds and waiting for that sticker...to give it a 100% and more when you get here through thick and thin, because in my mind its a good place to be.

P.s just off for a walk amoungst the roos in the Onkaparinga River reserve 5 mins from our door.................because i LOVE it:arghh::arghh:

Great post Graham and very very true. Although Adelaide has it's fair share of Stampo Duties and levies there is a whole heap of things to do for free. Some of the things we do for free you would have to pay for in the UK. When you have to pay to park your car here you feel hard done by and end up driving up the street trying to find a free park, whereas in the UK it is normal to pay.

Your post should inspire people to give it a good go. I remember one guy who stayed for 5 days then returned to the UK!! What an idiot!!!!! He must have booked his return flight before he even left the UK!! It's people like you that really make a success of things here and I wish you all the best.

Thanks for that, its nice of you to jog us on abit.

Graham, what line of work are you in?

Jarrett is now working in a barber shop, its okay but he's not to talk to the customers ect. weird but true and only pays $16 per hour.

He's worth so much more though.

In England we had a trendy hair salon and charged 40 pound a haircut, imagine the difference, lol

But on Thursday which was his day off, we cycled to pick up my little one from kindy, stopped at coles on the way bought some sausages and rolls, fed the ducks and swans at west lakes whilst we had a BBQ in the park.

Then on sat we spent most of the time on the beach building castles and trying to find the whale again. Then coming home the kids were playing headstands and running back to the beach again.

Then we sat and watched that sizzling sun touch the ocean whilst slowly sipping a cold glass of Chardonney.

WOW, you don't really get that in the UK.

I do get homesick for my family, home in general and friends, but and there is a big but I don't know if I will feel the same about it with the memories I have of wonderful Adelaide.

Here's to more great days Graham.

Lauraxxxxxxxxx:)

Just wanted to say to Laura, good onya girl! Times have been tough and I reckon you must have pretty much hit rock bottom only a few short weeks ago, but looks like you are hanging on in there and giving it your best shot (oh dear, I sound like such a cliche queen!)

Not really been keeping up with what's been happening in your life, but I remember reading your post a while ago where if you sold your car you could just about afford to get your family back to the UK. I'm so glad for you that things seem to be looking up a little, and wish you and your other half the very best for the future.

Diane

Perhaps (might have done this already) try applying to the more upmarket hairdressers for a trial. There are some along King William Rd like Yots, they cut my son's hair with scissors(not clippers), taking time to develop the skills to shape to head and go with the waves in his hair. It was a training session for staff so we only had to pay for the colour used in streaks, but normally a cut like that would cost $50. I think they pay their staff more because they can charge more than the chain ones.

Hi Laura

I'm so glad things are looking a bit rosier for you...despite your OH's working conditions and wages. I'm sure in time things will get easier for you, just try to stay positive. Of course the better weather and spotting whales from your local beach all help to make you feel lucky to be here. We too are struggling to get by but know that we will 'get there' eventually if the passion for it is strong enough. And as others have said there are always activities to be enjoyed for free so having fun as a family needn't cost the earth.

Good luck and I hope you continue to settle...

Dette

• 2 years later...