Time to help Me!

Rachiegarlo

Okay cos you all live so close to that lump of land called Europe, I bet a lot of you have your favourite hotelsthere that are cheap BUT clean. So any suggestions for Paris and Amsterdam would be appreciated. We will be wanting a triple room. Was in Paris over 20 yrs ago, stayed on the Left Bank. Have already alerted youngest that she will be in charge of the ordering etc, seeing as she says she loves French so much.:biglaugh:

Lots of cheap, cheerful and clean hotels throughout France. If you are willing to stay a bit out of the city there are Comfort Inns, Premier Class, Campanile etc. There are good Metro or RER links into the city from all the burbs.

Had a great hotel in Amsterdam but have no idea what it was called though!!!

Okay cos you all live so close to that lump of land called Europe, I bet a lot of you have your favourite hotelsthere that are cheap BUT clean. So any suggestions for Paris and Amsterdam would be appreciated. We will be wanting a triple room. Was in Paris over 20 yrs ago, stayed on the Left Bank. Have already alerted youngest that she will be in charge of the ordering etc, seeing as she says she loves French so much.:biglaugh:

Hi Rachael

Have you looked on Alpha Rooms its a site that has cheap hotel rooms across the world and you can book direct? If you look on some of the booking agents sites, avoid the Republic area in Paris. Rooms might be cheaper there but much of it is red light district. Left bank used to be cheap and studenty but some of it has got trendy now and expensive! You could try the cheaper Best Westerns first - they are usually ok.

Ibis are even cheaper but more basic. cheers Mariane and Cliff

Guest The Angus Clan

OK Rachel , Amsterdam! Depends what you like and this might not suit your tastes , but we stayed in Suite 259 a few years ago and it was lovely. It's not your massive, impersonal hotel but it's different!! Peter and Aziz , the owners , run this little Dutch house as a B&B. Being typically Dutch, the building is narrow and the stairs like a set of ladders, almost vertical! Having said that , we couldn't have been made more welcome. They have a suite- a spiral staircase leads upstairs to a mezzanine double bedroom and bathroom, and downstairs there is a double sofa bed, bathroom with spa bath , kitchen area and computer with permanent internet access (so you'll never be away from us!!). The were complimentary soft drinks, tea, coffee, flowers and chocs!! breakfast ( traditional Dutch ...cheese , rolls etc) or a rather more exotic option from Aziz (bit too spicy for that hour of day maybe!!). The trams stop outside the door and you can walk to the nearest canal to pick up the museum boat!

As I say , not to everyone's taste, but nothing was too much trouble for these guys! My sister stayed there and they even ironed her shirt for her!!

As for Paris , I lived there for 6 months as a student (not a place to be without money!!). We have visited many times since and the last time we stayed in the Hilton, off the Champs Elysees ....and before you take sharp intake ofbreath itwas a really good deal! We stayed for 4 nights (mid week admittedly) and got 2 interconnecting rooms for an absurd rate through the Air France web site!

Happy hunting!!

Marcia :wubclub:

Hi Rachel,

Wish I could help as it's about time you got some advice/help back for all you give out to others. :)

But.. not sure I'm the best person to do this.. we stayed on a lovely canalboat under the Eiffel Tower on the Seine in Paris as a special treat (it was our honeymoon) so v pricey - and the other end of the scale as poor students in Amsterdam in a horrid hotel. It was so bad that we took photos and wrote a letter of complaint after it - so wouldn't recommend that to anyone!!

Anyway, hope you get some more helpful responses and that this has bumped it up a bit!

Good luck and Take care x

Hi Rachel,

wish I could help, I've always wanted to go to paris but OH didn't take the hints I was dropping like lead balloons!!

I did go to amsterdam with 2 bus loads of my friends, but I was only 21, so can't remember much due to the lovely beer they had. I do remember we had a really nice hotel, but again can't remember what it was called, I know it was away from the central area, where all the ladies are.

My brother goes to France every year though, he does part of the Tour de France, so I will e-mail him and see what he comes up with for you.

Good luck anyway x