Travelling With Children

Guest Django

It really is the only way to travel. Well it can have its advantages.

You get to get on the plane first so you can have your bags stowed and everyone in their seats before the stampede starts.

You also get fast tracked on arrival at immigration. We were one of the last passengers to leave the plane and one of the first to get to the luggage reclaim.;)

Once we got our suitcases we were pushed straight through and past the bag searchers in the 'anything to declare' bit. Fantastic.:jiggy:

As for the nightmare on the flights themselves? I don't know why I was dreading it so much. We discovered that if you let them stay up late watching the films or playing games they will fall to sleep in their own time and will be tired enough on the second flight to go to sleep and stay asleep until the final landing.

There were people on both of the flights with just one child that was making more noise people than our 4. :mad::biglaugh:

Pete

Hi Pete

You made it then?? Glad the journey was OK. Our kids were brilliant aswell, and I had been dreading the journey also.

Where are you staying? What do you think so far? Can't wait to hear.

Trisha

Where are you staying? What do you think so far? Can't wait to hear.

Glad it went well

Looking forward to an update of where you are staying and you first thoughts on the place

Hi all,

Well we haven't really done anything as yet but buy a few bits and bobs to see us through the next day or two. We are staying in Morphett Vale and are being wonderfully looked after by Judi (Roo1). We plan to do the beach thing tomorrow but have yet to decide on what beach and do a proper food shop.

First impressions...... Can't say much as we really haven't been out and when we first arrived I was just concentrating on following Judi, using the indicators to tell people where we were going instead of the windscreen wipers and remembering why I hate automatics soooo much.:biglaugh:

Pete

Guest shanaghy2oz

Hi all this just to say sorry in advance to anyone heading to Adelaide on monday 22nd with singapore airlines we are travelling with three boys 12,8 and 2 we are dreading the flight they

have never been on a plane before,again sorry.

Tom

Guest cunnah10

You get to get on the plane first so you can have your bags stowed and everyone in their seats before the stampede starts.

You also get fast tracked on arrival at immigration. We were one of the last passengers to leave the plane and one of the first to get to the luggage reclaim.;)

Once we got our suitcases we were pushed straight through and past the bag searchers in the 'anything to declare' bit. Fantastic.:jiggy:

As for the nightmare on the flights themselves? I don't know why I was dreading it so much. We discovered that if you let them stay up late watching the films or playing games they will fall to sleep in their own time and will be tired enough on the second flight to go to sleep and stay asleep until the final landing.

There were people on both of the flights with just one child that was making more noise people than our 4. :mad::biglaugh:

Pete

Hey Pete great to hear you have all arrived safely!

Good luck with your new adventure(can't believe you are actually there)

Will follow your threads eagerly!!

Glad you all made it over ok, hope the rest of your time in Adelaide is trouble free. Your kids done really well, its a difficult journey for them. Let us know how you get on over the next few weeks and months. :jiggy:

Pete

So, just our kids that were an absolute nightmare on the flight over then eh?!! I've put it behind me now though, I swore I'd never fly with them again but we flew to Perth a couple of weeks ago and they were absolute angels!

Hello Pete,

Great to know that you are finally here. I hope everything goes smoothly for you and that you settle in quickly. You have timed it well weather-wise, so relax and enjoy. Like everyone else, really looking forward to hearing from you now that you are on our side of the pond.

Hi there Pete (and Tracey)

Welcome to Adelaide. Glad the flight was good, sometimes the thought of it is actually worse than the real thing. Judi's great she'll look after you, we had no complaints! When does Tracey start work??? If you want to chat about nursing or want to borrow some toys for the kids, let me know.

Lindsey

Guest Aussie pat
Hi all this just to say sorry in advance to anyone heading to Adelaide on monday 22nd with singapore airlines we are travelling with three boys 12,8 and 2 we are dreading the flight they

have never been on a plane before,again sorry.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Don't think the worst, just wait and see what happens. Our daughter is about to do the trip for the 4th time, she's 12 and we've flown with her and her 11yo brother without too many problems on a regular basis. Can recommend Travelcalm jubes (1 lasts 24 hrs) if you're worried about travel sickness. Don't use Phenergan it made our son manic and has already been discussed on another PIA thread in the past. Your 8 and 12 yo will probably enjoy the films and games onboard. The meal trays also amuse them. Besides they'll probably nod off when it's late anyway. Singapore airport has lots to amuse the kids. If all does go pear shaped just remember that it's just 24 hours or so of your life, you'll probably not see the people on the plane again and at least you were brave enough to give it a go! Some people never even do that.