parking tickets

duncan-clan

the other morning i woke to find that i had a parking ticket delivered by post saying that i had 'parked my car in the wrong way to traffic' and its now cost me 33 god dame dollars i was never told about this rule and if your car is left outside your home for more then 24 hours the local council can remove your car and then charge you costs for doing it even if its taxed and insured...i found this out when i called sailsbury council about parking ticket....i wonder how many more stupid rules they have here that we dont know about

alex

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Nothing stupid about having to park with the flow of traffic , a good safe idea , Australians know no different and us immigrants are not told about this due to the fact we can just swap our license and go, without any sort of test.

Not heard about removing vehicles outside your home? unless they mean in your case your vehicle could be removed after 24 hrs if you hadn't rectified the reason for your parking ticket,

Guzzler

Guest guest569
Nothing stupid about having to park with the flow of traffic , a good safe idea , Australians know no different and us immigrants are not told about this due to the fact we can just swap our license and go, without any sort of test.

Not heard about removing vehicles outside your home? unless they mean in your case your vehicle could be removed after 24 hrs if you hadn't rectified the reason for your parking ticket,

Guzzler

Exactly right keith. The only way we learn laws like these is by either getting find ( and passing your experience on like this ) or by making friends with Australians aswell as Poms when you arrive.;)

NO Caoimhe your car will not get towed away, you are allowed to park infront of your house but if your car looks as if it has been dumped, ie facing the wrong way they may impound it, never heard of it happening but yeah all those newcomers should read the road rules book even if you no longer have to sit the test. You can also do practice ones online. Most of the rules are probably the same. Do you have to slow down to crawling pace near schools there? those zigzaggy lines near schools parks kindies mean that even if it is 2 am and some kid is in the area you still have to slow down to 25km between those lines.

I thought it was the same about parking the same way as traffic in the UK it's just it's a law that seems to be forgotten about and no-body really enforces (although do know of someone who was done once so maybe that's how I knew about it) :unsure:

Also here you musn't park over a driveway (in either direction) even if it is your own or you can get towed away. Think it's something to do with access for emergency services. The same as parking next to a fire hydrant?

Bad luck and I do feel for you as money can be tight so it's something you could do without, however don't think it is a stupid rule if it's the one of the country. It's just not one we are used to being enforced upon.

the other morning i woke to find that i had a parking ticket delivered by post saying that i had 'parked my car in the wrong way to traffic' and its now cost me 33 god dame dollars i was never told about this rule and if your car is left outside your home for more then 24 hours the local council can remove your car and then charge you costs for doing it even if its taxed and insured...i found this out when i called sailsbury council about parking ticket....i wonder how many more stupid rules they have here that we dont know about

alex

Alex dude what's the problem you keep on telling us how much money you have in your bank accounts I wouldn't have thought you would notice a meagre 33 bucks.:P;):biglaugh:

Pete

Guest Guzzler&Sas
yeah ive got the money as ive worked bloody hard for it but as for the paking think its a stupid law as my car is parked at the end of the road which is about 500 yards from the next road so now both my cars and motorbike are in my car port

alex

Why is this a stupid law?

Guest graandjac
I thought it was the same about parking the same way as traffic in the UK it's just it's a law that seems to be forgotten about and no-body really enforces (although do know of someone who was done once so maybe that's how I knew about it) :unsure:

Also here you musn't park over a driveway (in either direction) even if it is your own or you can get towed away. Think it's something to do with access for emergency services. The same as parking next to a fire hydrant?

Bad luck and I do feel for you as money can be tight so it's something you could do without, however don't think it is a stupid rule if it's the one of the country. It's just not one we are used to being enforced upon.

I think Devon is right , its the same in the uk with the direction thing but it s a bit of a forgotton rule, i think Ian b had a ticket out here for the same thing, there are lots of silly little things and ways of doing things out here....but lots of them are so good its untrue, like the express way going one way into the city with the rush hour and out one way in the evening, and although some dont agree i thing its pure genius:idea:

I think Devon is right , its the same in the uk with the direction thing but it s a bit of a forgotton rule, i think Ian b had a ticket out here for the same thing, there are lots of silly little things and ways of doing things out here....but lots of them are so good its untrue, like the express way going one way into the city with the rush hour and out one way in the evening, and although some dont agree i thing its pure genius:idea:

I thought it in the UK it was just at night you had to park with the traffic flow so your reflectors could be seen in passing cars headlights, I have also got a ticket for this here, parked my car quickly to unload flat pack things from Ikea, and forgot all about my car while putting a dining table together:)

Simon

Another thing where you could be caught out.

Where parking is allowed at 45 degrees to the kerb, as it is in numerous places in adelaide, always park nose in. My son thinking he was doing the right thing reversed in, as he thought it would be safer than reversing out, got a ticket for parking the wrong way!!.

Parking facing the wrong way? That's nothing - I was in a queue of traffic waiting to turn right, engine running, behind another two or three cars, nowhere else I could go to, and I got a ticket sent through for being stopped in a no-stopping zone! I wrote and told them that the only way I could have kept going was if I was driving a tank and drove over the top of the other cars, but they still wanted their pound of flesh! And what's with all this "you were parked in the wrong place but we couldn't put a ticket on your car at the time, so here's one in the post" thing?! When I finally sent the thieving b*stards their money, I wrote "please accept my reluctant contribution to your blatant revenue raising exercise" and demanded they spend some of it on posting me back a receipt! Didn't help me feel any less annoyed though!

My husband (from Adelaide) has been here 11 years and a couple of weeks ago he actually parked the wrong way round ! :shocked: The first time in 11 years ! He gets really wound up here with everyone parking all over the place but is obviously assimilating now.

Another rule is you shouldn't have any part of your body hanging out of the car whilst you are driving (like an arm out the window) - he is really hot on this one too and I have to keep reminding him he's not in Australia any more. Another rule is you must give way to pedestrians crossing the road if you are turning into a side street. So it is definitely worth reading the rules - they are not all the same. I had a back seat driver (my OH) to remind me whenever I did anything wrong!

Also when I emigrated to Adelaide in 1994 I had to take a theory test and a driving test to get my SA licence. It was horrendous and sooo stressful, as I failed the test the 1st time. But at least it made me learn the rules !

Devon et al are correct! You should park with the flow of traffic.........

CAUTIONARY TALE; a friend of mine, home late from a call parked her car the "wrong" way; it got hit by another car and was totalled. Her insurance refused to pay out, they voided the premium because she "parked against the flow of traffic, causing her car to be less visible" to the drunken lout who drove away without stopping!!!

So, 10k worse off, no car and rubbish public transport..........

Jane