Private On-Line House Selling. Any Words of Wisdom?

Guest FlyByNight

Guest FlyByNight

We have finally gone through ALL the hoops for our visa and now await our 'decision'. Our plan is to fly out on New Years Eve (New Year - New Life kinda thing).

But we still haven't sold our house:arghh:

Not wanting to let it, and refusing to be tethered by the indefinite prospect of a sale, we have decided to bite the bullet and just lock up and go. It will remain on the market until we get an acceptable offer. Meanwhile we can start making plans for our future.

Whilst browsing the forums here I came across a link for 'The Little House Company' and checked it out. It is a cheap alternative to paying an estate agent to sell your house and on first glance it looks quite appealing.

Now, over the months I have been a member of this web community, I have grown to value and appreciate your many words of wisdom and am wondering if anyone has any experience of such a company.

We are with an estate agent :jimlad: at present but to be honest - any possible way we might sell the house prior to departure is worth considering in the current climate.

Poms In Adelaide - I would once again appreciate your views / knowledge / advice.:notworthy:

I have also enquired about this company, and agree they look interesting.

However I did decide to place my house on the market with another company, (sorry I cant remember their name) about 12 months ago. I have had hundreds of hits with people looking at the house on their website, but not one has contacted me to view etc.

At the same time, it was also marketed with an Estate Agent, who got a number of viewings, but it still did not sell.

The house remained unsold, we came out to Adelaide for 7 months, went back to try to gee up the agents, and had more viewings, with some wanting to buy, but then they could not sell theirs.

We have now rented, and arrived back in Adelaide this morning.

I have also enquired about this company, and agree they look interesting.

However I did decide to place my house on the market with another company, (sorry I cant remember their name) about 12 months ago. I have had hundreds of hits with people looking at the house on their website, but not one has contacted me to view etc.

At the same time, it was also marketed with an Estate Agent, who got a number of viewings, but it still did not sell.

The house remained unsold, we came out to Adelaide for 7 months, went back to try to gee up the agents, and had more viewings, with some wanting to buy, but then they could not sell theirs.

We have now rented, and arrived back in Adelaide this morning.

Welcome back Hayshake!:)

Whooo Hayshake!! Thats great news you are here. :jiggy: I'll be interested to hear any response with "the little house company" good or bad as my UK house has been up for sale for 2 (yes that is a 2) years!!!!

Judi xx

Guest FlyByNight

Good to hear you are back on the 'right' side of the world Hayshake, the way things are going over here :err:, I think the visa agents may have their work cut out for a few decades yet.

It was helpful to hear of your experience with the online 'agent' even though, sadly you didn't get a buyer. I have gone with the philosophy that the more people that know about it, the higher the % chance of a sale :biglaugh:. Well it keeps me going anyway.

Roo1 - our house has been on the market for a mere 7 months so you knock spots off us!! It was a big downer to be at the stage of waiting for our visa to be granted, having done everything, only to be unable to go 'cos of the house. I know from reading the threads that we all have our various frustrations, well that is ours. But we are tackling it as above and are prepared to live frugally in Adelaide until the house sells for a reasonable price. On our trip over last year my (6 yrs old at the time) daughter was captivated by a street minstrel in the CBD who we passed regularly on our walks from the apartment. I may be hitching up with him to make ends meet initially. And we have a tent.

Out of interest - anyone else done things this way (not the tent thing - locking up and just 'going for it') Interested to hear how you found it.

Roo1 - our house has been on the market for a mere 7 months so you knock spots off us!! It was a big downer to be at the stage of waiting for our visa to be granted, having done everything, only to be unable to go 'cos of the house. I know from reading the threads that we all have our various frustrations, well that is ours. But we are tackling it as above and are prepared to live frugally in Adelaide until the house sells for a reasonable price. On our trip over last year my (6 yrs old at the time) daughter was captivated by a street minstrel in the CBD who we passed regularly on our walks from the apartment. I may be hitching up with him to make ends meet initially. And we have a tent.

Well, after many (terrible) experiences with tenants in the UK, thats exactly what I have done.....locked up and hoped for a change in the market in the future.

I believe that life is for living and I've got on with living and carved a life for myself here. I guess I've been lucky with hubby landing himself a good job otherwise it would have been baked beans on toast for the forseeable future and therefore selling the UK house hasn't been an issure. We've been able to move on and start are own business (RooRentals) based on Ian's earnings and some savings (which are all gone now...darn properties!!).

The thing is, I'm so pasionate about Adelaide. i simply love it here. people in the past have called me for my Rose tinted glasses but the feeling (after 18 months here) hasn't worn off.

I work damn hard and so does Ian. I've always said. If you want something so badly you will hard for it and make it happen.

Yes our house hasn't sold in the UK but it hasn't stopped us doing what we wanted. We've just worked round it.

So good on ya hun for doing the same!!

Judi xxx

We have finally gone through ALL the hoops for our visa and now await our 'decision'. Our plan is to fly out on New Years Eve (New Year - New Life kinda thing).

But we still haven't sold our house:arghh:

Not wanting to let it, and refusing to be tethered by the indefinite prospect of a sale, we have decided to bite the bullet and just lock up and go. It will remain on the market until we get an acceptable offer. Meanwhile we can start making plans for our future.

Whilst browsing the forums here I came across a link for 'The Little House Company' and checked it out. It is a cheap alternative to paying an estate agent to sell your house and on first glance it looks quite appealing.

Now, over the months I have been a member of this web community, I have grown to value and appreciate your many words of wisdom and am wondering if anyone has any experience of such a company.

We are with an estate agent :jimlad: at present but to be honest - any possible way we might sell the house prior to departure is worth considering in the current climate.

Poms In Adelaide - I would once again appreciate your views / knowledge / advice.:notworthy:

Hi,

We have gone with House Network online who seem very professional. House has been on since end June and we have lots of hits and one viewing. Wasn't prepared to give 2 grand odd to estate agent for them to say how many hits they have had on their site. The house is on all the major sites online and we just thought this was the best way to go. Just waiting for it to sell and we can go !!:arghh:

good luck with it

Diane

Guest graandjac

:)Hi , not sure about this company but we did sell our house through an online agent, total fees £400.00 if i remember rightly...?? we used the House Network and there service was very good. good luck

Guest LOOBYLOO

We are trying the DIY house sale but no luck so far (one month). We advertised with www.propertiesdirect.co.uk (cost £59 until sold) and they pass advert onto other sites (fish4homes, nestoria, homes.co.uk etc). We also placed an ad with www.myownmove.com which is free. We get more interest from the For Sale sign which we got from www.vinylsignsdirect.co.uk (£24.90 for double-sided sign excluding post - bought a wooden post at B&Q for £1.50! Sign arrived day after ordering).

Hope this helps.

Guest the4hopes

I think its a great idea, we had useless estate agents,viewers didn't turn up, EA told them no info about the area or the house, didn't advertise as chain free, one advert in local paper in 3 months because they say most of the viewers look on the website. Not many find the houses in the paper.

So just put it on the internet yourself.

Guest FlyByNight

Paid a visit to the EA on Monday to confirm that we would be trying our luck on the private sellers website. As an afterthought I wondered if the mere threat of the prospect of our house selling through the private sale site would be sufficient collateral to negotiate a reduction in their fees - better they (:jimlad:) get some money than no money after all.

I guess that was why I became a nurse and not a businessman :huh:.

Have now booked dates for removals firms (Crown and John Mason) to come and give us some quotes for the big move, and have sorted out with work using up my remaining leave through my notice period. Have also started enquiries about getting the kids places at Woodend Primary School for the new school year. If our visa gets issued in time, New Years Eve is flight day.

And am started to get rather excited :jiggy:especially with all the bleak news going on at the moment, it is oddly gratifying to be able to press ahead through it all.

Thanks to those of you who were able to share your experiences - you can never have too much wisdom :cool:.