Morrissey in Oz!!!!

Guest Perth Pom

Guest Perth Pom

G'day all

Any Morrissey fans out there?

He is coming to OZ and NZ in Jan 2009. He is playing 4 gigs in NZ and then Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and ADELAIDE. The bad news for me is that he has no plans of playing in Perth. So, it looks like a trip to Adelaide will be on the cards for me.:)

Anyone else going to see Mozza?

Cheers

Mike

Guest Greg and Karen
G'day all

He is coming to OZ and NZ in Jan 2009. He is playing 4 gigs in NZ and then Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and ADELAIDE. The bad news for me is that he has no plans of playing in Perth. So, it looks like a trip to Adelaide will be on the cards for me.:)

Cheers

Mike

The Smiths were THE most important band in my life.....Mozza is a bit of a nob but still a leg end, so I'll definitely be looking into it.....if it aint too expensive that is! At least until I get that job....

Guest Perth Pom
Mozza is a bit of a nob

Please explain?:huh::skeptical:

BTW Clare, Coldplay were here last year, or was it the year before? I don't mind Coldplay, but they aren't in the same category as The Moz for me.

Why don't any radio stations here play morrissey? Not even Triple J. They play a few old Smiths tracks, but ignore all Morrissey's latest stuff that has been big all over the world for the last few years..................very strange.

Even Karaoke nights have Morrissey's latest stuff!!!!!

Guest Greg and Karen
Please explain?:huh::skeptical:

Referring to Moz as a "nob" was perhaps a bit harsh; put it down to an emotional day at the hospital followed by a few celebratory snifters....

I was always a Johnny Marr man, which was backed up by being lucky enough to meet him - a very personable and down to earth man.

As an artist Mozza is a genius in my book, I lived and breathed The Smiths as a kid and even now they still sound fantastic and very relevant. Some of his solo stuff is also very good and his recent renaissance is good to see.

However, he can be a bit "precious" shall we say, a little self important - certainly this is how he comes across in many interviews. A friend of mine was in a band in Canada which was lucky (and good) enough to support Moz in Montreal. They were all huge fans of the man and were so excited at meeting him backstage but were told in no uncertain terms that eye contact was not acceptable or they'd be asked to leave....sounds like an urban myth but its the truth....

Just a small example, but I'm sorry for using the word "nob", which is unfair. "Unsociable" is perhaps more appropriate.

But there is a light which never goes out....

I'm a huge Smiths/Morrisey fan. I'm also aware of his 'ego' but ...you can't knock his lyrics with Johnny Marr's guitar. A legend.Look at Osasis- The Smiths + The Jam = Class act.

Roll on jan.

Mark

Guest Greg and Karen
But there is a light which never goes out....

I'm a huge Smiths/Morrisey fan. I'm also aware of his 'ego' but ...you can't knock his lyrics with Johnny Marr's guitar. A legend.Look at Osasis- The Smiths + The Jam = Class act.

Roll on jan.

Mark

You can keep Oasis Mark - nothing more than a one-trick tribute band as far as I'm concerned.

But the Jam, what a great band. There was a group who wore their influences firmly on their sleeves but still managed to forge their own inimitable style.

Not many 80's bands still sound "fresh" to me today. Here are a few which do:

The Smiths

The Jam

Joy Division

New Order

Echo & the Bunnymen

The Cure

There are others.....but not many!

Thats the point I was trying to make in my own special sort of way. Oasis creamed the best from the Smths & The Jam . As you rightly said a one trick tribute band. You'll hear no howls of disapproval from this postcode with your choice of '80's' bands.

Congrats on the new arrival by the way.Mark

Guest Perth Pom

As an artist Mozza is a genius in my book, I lived and breathed The Smiths as a kid and even now they still sound fantastic and very relevant. Some of his solo stuff is also very good and his recent renaissance is good to see.

However, he can be a bit "precious" shall we say, a little self important - certainly this is how he comes across in many interviews. A friend of mine was in a band in Canada which was lucky (and good) enough to support Moz in Montreal. They were all huge fans of the man and were so excited at meeting him backstage but were told in no uncertain terms that eye contact was not acceptable or they'd be asked to leave....sounds like an urban myth but its the truth....

Just a small example, but I'm sorry for using the word "nob", which is unfair. "Unsociable" is perhaps more appropriate.

Fair point mate.

I can well imagine that he may be a tad..............shall we say...................."difficult..............complicated??" But, then again, most geniuses are. It's what sets them apart from the rest of us mere mortals eh?:confused:

I, too am a big Johnny Marr fan. I like the sound of his new band "Modest Mouse". BUT, and it's a big BUT. Morrissey is THE man for me. Johhny Marr's guitar riffs are/were excellent, but it's lyrics that count in a song first and foremost. Morrissey's last two albums were sensational.

Considering Mozza's touching 50, he has lost nothing, and indeed has gained so much in the terms of writing skills. He just seems to have the ability to write songs that (a certain section of society) can relate to, don't you think? That is a very rare talent. Some manage to do it occasionalluy, but to do it consistently for the best part of thirty years, well, that is PURE GENIUS.

I never met Morrissey, but I personally knew Craig Gannon, who played with the Smiths towards the end of their marriage, and then with Moz when he went solo. It's such a shame that money came between all them good people. The Smiths have been offered $1,000,000's to re-form, but it will never happen. Moz just wouldn't do it, and right or wrong, I admire the man even more for that.

I agree about Oasis...............Sheeeeeiiiite.

Jam.................. OK

Bunny Men.....................not too bad

Joy Division.............Oh Yes!

Cure.............. Depends on the mood I'm in

New Order........... See Cure response

Can't think of any other bands from that era that did it for me. The whole Manc thing was OK (Stone Roses, Inspiral Carpets, James, primal Scream, Charlatans etc, etc) but that was all..............just OK.

MOZ IS THE MAN.....................ROLL ON 2009!!!:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Guest Greg and Karen

Considering Mozza's touching 50, he has lost nothing, and indeed has gained so much in the terms of writing skills. He just seems to have the ability to write songs that (a certain section of society) can relate to, don't you think? That is a very rare talent. Some manage to do it occasionalluy, but to do it consistently for the best part of thirty years, well, that is PURE GENIUS.

PP, you're preaching to the converted mate.

I would never dispute the man's genius, just his social skills!

His lyrics got me through countless dark teenage moments, and what's more his words still inspire and amuse me today - rare for a body of work to stand up for so long. Without doubt one of the most important British bands ever.

I'm less tuned into his solo stuff, although I have all his albums. I really enjoyed his comeback "You are the Quarry" a few years ago - "Irish Blood...." is one of his finest.

I had every Smiths 12" single and I sold them to Record & Tape Exchange for a pittance as a student just to get beer money. To this day I still cry myself to sleep over the affair....

Guest Perth Pom
I had every Smiths 12" single and I sold them to Record & Tape Exchange for a pittance as a student just to get beer money. To this day I still cry myself to sleep over the affair....

Been there, done it meself mate!

Over 50 albums/12"s for a fiver????? How do them people sleep at night?:huh:

Anyway, 2009 is the year Morrissey returns to the Antipodes, so, let's all look forward to it!:)

Guest melissa and darren

I've just shipped over all my records, including all their albums and most of their 12" singles. Although i'm sorry, i'm not selling. I did once sell some Iron Maiden records when i was 14. Strangley, i'm not too bothered about that. I can understand why you'd be gutted about the Smiths 12"s though, that was in the days of the decent b'sides.

I must agree on the point of him being a bit of a nob though. Just because your a genius doesn't mean you're exempt from being a nob.

Have you got a favourite track?

Guest Perth Pom

Now, there's a question!! What Moz, or Smiths?

I suppose after much thought, top 3 would be

3: There is a light that never goes out.

2: First of the gang/Irish blood (Ok I'm cheating here but they were both his big comeback songs eh?)

1: Headmaster Ritual. (Being educated in a strict Catholic Manchester school myself, I can relate to this song so much.)

Guest SA Great
G'day all

Cheers

Mike

Great news. He was really good last time he came about 4 years ago. He did There Is A Light as an encore. I will be there.

You can keep Oasis Mark - nothing more than a one-trick tribute band as far as I'm concerned.

But the Jam, what a great band. There was a group who wore their influences firmly on their sleeves but still managed to forge their own inimitable style.

Not many 80's bands still sound "fresh" to me today. Here are a few which do:

The Smiths

The Jam

Joy Division

New Order

Echo & the Bunnymen

The Cure

There are others.....but not many!

WOW looks like you've got my music collection!!

Went to see Weller last year at the Manchester Apollo it was awesome. For many years he has resisted doing any of the old Jam numbers, but I think he did about six or seven of them that night. I took my two boys and the missus with me and they loved it. It was better that U2, who we had seen at the City of Manchester stadium during their Elevation tour.

My eldest also takes after me in that he is a big Smiths fan. The lads got taste like his old man.

Guest Greg and Karen

For me:

1. What Difference Does It Makes?

2. Boy With the Thorn in His Side

3. That Jokes Isn't Funny Anymore

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Greg and Karen
G'day all

Cheers

Mike

I find this hard to believe....but then again, money talks.....

http://www.nme.com/news/the-smiths/40634

Greg

I haven't bothered to read the article, but I thought that Moz said he'd never reform the Smiths. I believe he continually cited 'artistic differences'. How is the new addition?

Mark