I've had to leave my cat - my heart's breaking

serena

Has anyone had to leave a beloved pet behind? When does it stop hurting?

Hubby says we didn't have a choice, we have so little money a 3 year old to look after, and as yet no accomodation/work/transport organised.

We took her to friend in London to look after her, I didn't realise how badly it would affect my little boy. He cried and pleaded with us to bring her home.

Me and Hub haven't slept at all. Can't stop feeling like we've dumped her. She just hid under their sofa and howled.

I'm thinking maybe we could get her shipped over when our finances improve? Has anyone done this? Any advice?

Serena

Guest katsmajic

We were shipping the cats but my mums dog was on last legs so we left them with her - one cat has rehomed himself around the corner from her - he hated her dog, but the other guy has settled really well. Well mums dog passed away and the cat has been a godsend - shes never been on her own before so the cat really has kept her company etc.

Mums planning on moving on out eventually - shes coming over for 4mths next mth yippee and is shipping the cat out to us in 2 weeks - as shes kept him shes paying his airfare and were paying his quarantine...bargain!

Before we came though i had to have my old girl (dog) put to sleep, she couldnt have made the trip and it would have been cruel to rehome her, so on vets advice and my own understanding of what was best for her i let her go - and i still cry now 7mths on!

I have a new puppy now, which helps heaps but wont replace my oldie xxx

As long as you are doing the best thing for your pet you can move with a clear consience - even if broken hearted. Good luck xx

Sadly we had to do exactly the same thing before we left the UK. I'd had my cat for over 12 years and I found it heartbreaking to re-home him. As has been said, it felt like I'd dumped him because I couldn't be bothered to take him. In fact he was just very old and we felt it would have been cruel to put him through the journey and the quarantine. In the end he went to a lovely smallholding in Wales with lots of other animals and he's still there now although we've recently been told that he's terminally ill and is on borrowed time.

It does take time to get over, the only time I've really broken down and cried since we've been here has been over that blessed cat! But I know we did the best we could for him and that he's happy and well looked after. We've recently (four days ago) bought a puppy for our children (it's a whole other story, see previous thread:sad:) but I'll always miss my lovely Naughty Tom:(

Guest The Hadleys

Hi

You poor thing my heart really goes out to you. I too have to leave my two cats next week, we fly out on the 2nd November and luckily I have found a good home for my two lovely black cats. I'm dreading taking them my two daughters will be devastated but I feel it is the right decision because I don't want to put them through that long journey and who knows what will happen at the other end. Keep strong and i'm sure in time the hurt will ease.

Dawn x

We don't know what we will do. We have a beautiful white german shepherd. He will be 8 this November and is going blind bless him. My Mom and Dad were coming out with us but are now staying behind for a couple of years. We are seriously considering leaving him with them as my oh feels he will painic on the journey and be disorientated due to his eyesight being poor. In a couple of years he will be 10 and his eyesight could be much worse and then we are left with what to do next when Mom and Dad come out? It's heart breaking thinking about it so actually doing it I will dread. He knows Mom and Dad really well as we currently all live together so although he will miss us I think he will settle. I really am in a dilema over what to do. If he is disorientated and confused it will be even worse in Quarantine in Melbourne where he doesn't know anyone. It scares me I love him so much!

Guest katsmajic

Ellie, thats one of the reasons why my Ellie (dog) had to be put to sleep, she was 12, blind, she'd also had a mini stroke the year before and i'd had her from 10weeks - i knew and the vet said the journey and quarantine would have been horrific for her...and to rehome her just as bad as she was blind in both eyes, not just the one i knew about...it would have been too traumatic for her.

If your parents would keep Zeus that would be a blessing in disguise for you all, at the end of the day GSD's rarely go double figures anyway so that decision in 2 years may be out of your hands - but he would still have 2 years with people he loves and is safe with.

Ellie, thats one of the reasons why my Ellie (dog) had to be put to sleep, she was 12, blind, she'd also had a mini stroke the year before and i'd had her from 10weeks - i knew and the vet said the journey and quarantine would have been horrific for her...and to rehome her just as bad as she was blind in both eyes, not just the one i knew about...it would have been too traumatic for her.

If your parents would keep Zeus that would be a blessing in disguise for you all, at the end of the day GSD's rarely go double figures anyway so that decision in 2 years may be out of your hands - but he would still have 2 years with people he loves and is safe with.

Thanks for that Kat, I think you are right. I've never had a GSD before & wasn't really sure of life span. Max had a white one before he met me and when she was 5 someone stole her and he never saw her again. Zeus is Max's shadow but I think it will be best to leave him here. I keep looking at him and how he looks at us so trusting he is a devoted dog and I just feel so guilty.