Be Prepared......!!!!!

Guest graandjac

Guest graandjac

:)Well after looking through so many (not going to call them negative posts), it prompted this.......learn by our mistakes they are everywhere on the forum, and iam NOT jumping on anyone.

EVERYONE has some hickups when they arrive from trying to get a job to not securing a rental untill the last day of there short term rental ending, at the time all very stressfull things, BUT these same things keep cropping up......you must be prepared for things to go wrong they do to everyone....!!!!

We have met (very happy and loving it new arrivals) who have really struggled with finding work, taken WEEKS (and it will) to secure a rental, even some who's kids have wandered the wrong line of the law (lots of stress) who have got on with it, iam not knocking the people who dont like it or are finding things hard . But it would make things easer if you were prepared, because the way things are done, its not the sh** ozzy system its just a different system, and we have to adapt. There are so many people who critisize(?) some of the methods here when its not the method its just different to what we have all known in the uk for most of our life's.

When you arrive you need to be 100% positive this alone will attract other positive people, who in turn help each other , contraversial statment .......the more negative you become the more negative people you attract.

Just because we in some way passed the TRA or other tests needed to get the visa by no means gets you a job....be aware of this, as Ian B said as far as some ozzies are concerned there are to many brits comming over who want to put the minimum of effort in at work and go sit down the beach......there is a good life to be had here by putting in lots of hard work and riding out some very hard times when you first arrive.......getting the shiney sticker, selling the house is a ride in the park compared to when you get here..........so be prepared.

Six months in and we love it here , and for the record its not all paradise, iam only on $22.50 an hour which just pays the bills, and working harder than i ever have...but its worth it........our mistakes..........should have do it years ago:biglaugh:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said Gra,

Know exactly how you feel bout things....

I am sure you know, and other readers of this forum, that we have had a hard time while being here, but are just beginning to settle and get used to the way things work.

We, however, are some of the lucky ones and both earn a little more here than in the UK.....but you have to work.....we still do overtime and paybills.

But this weekend ive got a bbq, spending the day at the beach.....And we are loving the life style....

Rewards come to those who work for them.....

Dan

Thanks Graham,

i have read some of the posts, too.......although i do think sometimes, some may see Oz as a nirvana, and these posts can provide a reality check for the terminally optimistic:); or wooly, take your pick!

I like the balance the forum is showing; i think it is levelling, and can offer insight into the often overlooked aspects of the move.

I think your very right, you can't have the beachbum lifestyle without putting some effort into having it meaningful! I guess that's why so many are wanting to come to Oz; the effort of work has to have a reward!!:)

Guest katsmajic

Well said :notworthy:

we had it summed up to us on our first day - if you moved to italy/turkey would you expect everything to be easy/english - hell no - so dont think Australia will be any different!

Ive lived abroad before (muslim country - now that is damn hard) so have found this a really easy way of life to slip into.

This is a different country, different legislations, different customs etc so dont blame the country - if anything its either bad planning/preparation or blinkered attitudes.

I love it here, as do my family. It really is a beautiful great place to live. Thank god it is nothing like the UK. And NO i dont hate the UK.

You jump through hoops to get here with all the visa process - once your here that counts for didly squat!

You need to be outgoing and positive - it took you years to build your life in the UK or whereever - so dont expect to be all sorted with your new life within weeks.

Those coming over, research, research and research some more - but understand itl still be completely alien initially.

Guest vikkiann

What a fantastic post.

Australia is a new start for all of us which means a new system.

If people expect it to be like England they should stay there.

We are making the move in 6 weeks and i'm petrified that Garry won't get a job but we will have money in the bank so hopefully we'll survive, i have someone who i think may have found us a 3 month rental, fingers crossed!

However, i believe that we are making the best move for us and our children.

My dad said to me recently that Adelaide is 20 years behind the uk, my response was that if thats the case my children will grow up without being stabbed or shot.

I think you need to keep an open mind, give it 100% and most importantly call Australia home.

Just my opinion though.

Vikki

Guest graandjac

My dad said to me recently that Adelaide is 20 years behind the uk, my response was that if thats the case my children will grow up without being stabbed or shot.

I think you need to keep an open mind, give it 100% and most importantly call Australia home:notworthy::notworthy:.

Spot on, there is Panic in Adelaide at the moment because there has been 3 shootings this YEAR, all bikey gangs who are only interested in shooting each other

I totally agree with your post from someone who is trying hard to adap to the lifestyle change. But often i think forums do place a bias on the positives and when u get here and things arent as they seem you do feel like your being "left out" if you post anything negative. Everyones experience is different we have to rememer that.

For eg some people may not giv 2 hoots about friends or family in uk, other miss them terribly but i dont feel it is fair to always hear Adelaide is utopia all the time, as has been said the hard work starts when u get off the plane. Myself i post what im thinking without thinking:biglaugh: , but people do struggle when then emmigrate its not easy, its not all bbq's and beach for some, and not everyone can afford to buy a 400,000 mac'mansion. we have to remember this. Anyway this probly wont come accross as i intend it to. But if you say anything negative on here your accussed of "moaning" or the yellow screen lol. Life is what you make it i guess and im not a moaner just an outloud thinker:chatterbox:. My experience here so far has been blighted by family ill health back in uk, the exp of the heathcare system where my mobile phone was robbed, speeding fines, work no-where near what i expected it to be, etc lol. Not everyone has been in adelaide for years, some are quietly (unlike myself) sat at home wondering what they did come here, but im now seeing the positives, it just taking time for me to settle doesnt make me or them bad people,nutters, whinging poms whatever :biglaugh:. Anyway thats my peice said ,but i didnt expect it to be like greece or spain or anywhere sunny, that implies the brits abroad mentality and anyway im irish :biglaugh:

A wise (young?) man once told me that so many people over here keep referring to the UK as "home" but fail to realise that home is right here. It's the place where you put down roots, make friends, realise your hopes and dreams, both for yourself and your family. Geography shouldn't even get a look in and I think this one's a keeper ;-) Every single Australian I've ever met, here, in the UK, in Europe is 100% positive about this place; some may grumble about the price of petrol, or beer for that matter, but show unswerving pride of their country.

But, Gra's right, it's not going to be easy. There'll be times when you'll challenge your reasons for leaving the UK, question your choice to uproot your family, leave your friends and family and move to the other side of the world, quite often without the offer of a job. You need to open your eyes and look at the opportunity you've been given; the chance of a fantastic life in God's Country, if you want it.

Welcome Home!

Great post Graham, everybody has their ups and downs but it's getting through it and seeing the benefits at the other end that make it all the more worth while. If everything was plain sailing, life would be very boring, I think you need challenges to put you back in your place and realise whether it is worth fighting for.

Everybody will have a different experience but we can all learn from them if they are posted on here.

It has taken me 7 1/2 months to secure a job and even then it is casual, I am over the moon and happy that I have been given the opportunity to show what I can do and hopefully it will lead onto bigger and better things. It takes time but never give up.....it makes success all the sweeter!

Hi Graham,

Well said.

Ive got to say, nobody said it was going to be easy.... well it has been very hard, to get jobs we will have been here a year in Nov my OH is only on 16$ per hour and he gets sent home when its quite, which is often. Turning that into a possitive he gets to enjoy being here and spending more time with our kids.

I am sooooooooo glad we didn't return in Sept, since then I have been excepted into a lovely group of friends whom I have tons in common with.

One of them had asked her friend about a job position for me which is much better paid than my oh and my oh has an interview for night work, ok its not what we imagined before we got here but it is what we have to do at the mo to get on and thrive. Im not giving up on our lovely lifestyle that easy.

Yes we hit many lows but honest to God (sorry) We just love the warmth of the sun and the warmth of the people who live here.

Finally I can say I know this is where I want to be maybe not forever who knows what tomorrow will bring but definatly for now.

Laura xxxx

:)Well after looking through so many (not going to call them negative posts), it prompted this.......learn by our mistakes they are everywhere on the forum, and iam NOT jumping on anyone.

EVERYONE has some hickups when they arrive from trying to get a job to not securing a rental untill the last day of there short term rental ending, at the time all very stressfull things, BUT these same things keep cropping up......you must be prepared for things to go wrong they do to everyone....!!!!

We have met (very happy and loving it new arrivals) who have really struggled with finding work, taken WEEKS (and it will) to secure a rental, even some who's kids have wandered the wrong line of the law (lots of stress) who have got on with it, iam not knocking the people who dont like it or are finding things hard . But it would make things easer if you were prepared, because the way things are done, its not the sh** ozzy system its just a different system, and we have to adapt. There are so many people who critisize(?) some of the methods here when its not the method its just different to what we have all known in the uk for most of our life's.

When you arrive you need to be 100% positive this alone will attract other positive people, who in turn help each other , contraversial statment .......the more negative you become the more negative people you attract.

Just because we in some way passed the TRA or other tests needed to get the visa by no means gets you a job....be aware of this, as Ian B said as far as some ozzies are concerned there are to many brits comming over who want to put the minimum of effort in at work and go sit down the beach......there is a good life to be had here by putting in lots of hard work and riding out some very hard times when you first arrive.......getting the shiney sticker, selling the house is a ride in the park compared to when you get here..........so be prepared.

Six months in and we love it here , and for the record its not all paradise, iam only on $22.50 an hour which just pays the bills, and working harder than i ever have...but its worth it........our mistakes..........should have do it years ago:biglaugh:

Guest grantanddebs

hi there,

we are emigrating!!! i lived in NZ for 4yrs, then we tried emigrating to canada, but did not work out, so we are leaving for adelaide finally next thursday!!!

it was our original plan before canada so cant wait!!!!

hi there,

we are emigrating!!! i lived in NZ for 4yrs, then we tried emigrating to canada, but did not work out, so we are leaving for adelaide finally next thursday!!!

it was our original plan before canada so cant wait!!!!

well welcome, you will love adelaide if not immediatly she just grows on you without realising. lol

its a very safe and family orientated place to live, a great place for kids to grow body and soul.

Laura xx

Im glad this has been said ( Grahams post). When this site started there were very few people that were in Adelaide, let alone for a while, and these people tried posting the realities of emmigrating to help people .. They were by and large ignoured:arghh:. Now there are more of you here, youve been thruogh these tough times and can see for yourselves.

Its not easy leaving everything behind that youve known for 30/40 years and to start again.

You have in your mind that its going to be difficult, but youve got no idea how much more difficult it actually is, even down to , where do I buy a decent drill, or plant for the garden:err:.The first few months tend to be very stressy.

But things do work out .There will be a time when you have assimilated to the way of life and things becomea lot easier. You wont actually be able to put your finger on when, but it happens.It just takes time.....more for some than others.

I do think that the job situation is the main factor in the settling down process. If you are lucky enough to land a job that your happy doing and pays ok then that is a big step.

I dont normally write things personally, but in my case , im still not sorted job wise over 2 1/2 years down the line, but thats my problem. I could get a job doing what I used to do tommorrow, but I dont want too. Ive spent 2 years trying to get somewhere, but have now realized that its not going to happen. So back to where I was .........oh well!

It takes time................good luck to all.

Spot on, there is Panic in Adelaide at the moment because there has been 3 shootings this YEAR, all bikey gangs who are only interested in shooting each other

I’ve kept an eye on news stories out of Adelaide for many years now, and although I agree that things are probably better there than in the big cities of the UK (where stabbings and shootings seem to be out of control, especially among gangs), my perception is that things are a bit worse than you make out.

Gouger Street, which is one of the main restaurant areas in the City, particularly for tourists, has actually had 3 shootings in 5 months, albeit all of them bikie gang related.

Just taking a casual and very random look back on the internet I found these incidents in the last year or so:

June 2007 – 4 wounded in shooting in Light Square outside nightclub (bikies)

October 2007 – man shot near Light Square

November 2007 – man stabbed in fight outside Adelaide High School

December 2007 – man stabbed at party by gatecrashers (gang related)

May 2008 – 15 shots fired in Gouger Street (bikies)

June 2008 – drive by shooting in Gouger Street

July 2008 – man stabbed outside nightclub in Waymouth Street

July 2008 – man threatened with knife and car stolen in Parafield Gardens

July 2008 - drive by robbery at West Beach

August 2008 – man stabbed at Brahma Lodge Hotel

August 2008 – man stabbed during break-in at Murray Bridge house

August 2008- shots fired by man during break-in with sledgehammers in Blair Atholl

August 2008 – 4 men charged over shooting in Blair Atholl (a different incident)

August 2008 – man charged with attempted murder over road rage incident at Hindmarsh

August 2008 – Bikie shot in his front yard in Payneham

September 2008 – taxi driver stabbed by gang

September 2008 – woman stabbed at bus stop in King William St

September 2008 – 15 year old taken to hospital with stab in the back

September 2008 –man stabbed at Semaphore by someone he knew

September 2008 – men gatecrashed party in Happy Valley and fired gunshots at a car

October 2008 – 2 injured in Gouger Street shooting

October 2008 – man stabbed in Norwood outside a hotel

Touch wood I’ve never been robbed in England but I had clothes stolen off my washing line twice in Adelaide, and I know several people there who have been burgled. A guy my husband was at college with ended up getting convicted of a double (drug-related) murder a few years ago and is now in prison !! My husband’s second cousin was murdered (in Victoria) by some psychotic fellow student at university !!

I don’t want to be negative or sensationalist about this, just realistic. Adelaide isn’t different to anywhere else - and crime exists everywhere.

Guest ozzy wannabe

I have to totally agree with Graham. There seems a lot of people coming over here with young children and no security once they get here, with things as they are in England at the moment please think hard before making such a massive move like that.

I cant see that things will improve, I think some people are getting desparate.:err:

I have spoken to some other brits about this and they did tend to agree

Guest Guest75

This is a good thread.

Should be required reading for newbies.

Money does not make the world go around but by heck it helps to have as much as you can arriving here!

2 YEARS!!!

That is at least the time you have to give yourself to settle!!

Anything less and your are unfair to your family and yourself - and wasting a visa I may add.

It is financially harder at the moment so people really need to consider their plans - is it a dream or can it be reality??

Nice one Graham. Can always rely on you to tell i how it is.:)

When I asked a while back how long it would take to find and move into a long term rental out here I was told you can do it in about a week. Someone told me they viewed their new home and moved in next day. With this info we thought 2 and a half weeks in a short term rental would be fine. Not so. We got the keys for our long termer 3 weeks after touching down. This was the result of being at the right place at the right time, a hell of a lot of running around, having a sympathetic agent, a truck load of good luck and the support and help of members of this forum.

Even so its not an ideal house for us. Its in a great location for school, work, beach and shopping but a bedroom short and a garden not reallt suited to having young children. However it is a roof over our heads.

My advice to anyone coming over is to secure a long term rental for as long as you can afford to do so. In my opinion its the best money you can spend. The worry of only a few days left on your rental before you have no where to go is something no one wants to go through with 4 children.

The other thing is in respect of cars. There is no such thing as a cheap runaround.

All that aside we feel we have made the right move. Jack and Sophie love their new school (Woodcroft Primary) and Tracey her new job. We have had difficulties but have found the locals very helpful. I picked up a TV from 'The Good Guys' and the aussie fella that helped me put it into the back of the car even gave me his mobile number and told me if I needed help with anything then give him a ring and he will help us out. :D

Pete

Guest Libby1971

Inspired Mr Gra, inspired:notworthy:

For a long time, SSP got a huge amount of stick for encouraging people to be realistic when coming. Guzzler suggested time and time again that to make being here work, you have to be prepared to try hard and be 100%. Muppetbro might have been unorthodox in his approach but he still encouraged people to throw away the rose tinted glasses.:confused:

Ultimately, what it all boils down to is the same thing. Adelaide is a place like anywhere else with the same problems. The only difference here is that the sun shines more, it gets a lot hotter and that you've left your family and most of your friends behind.

I have not settled as well as I thought I would. For a long time, I felt very guilty about that, and to a lesser extent that still applies. However, I am not beating myself up at the moment which is a huge improvement. We brought over enough money to live on, not as much as we had wanted but enough. We bought second hand cars and the idea for a new build was scrapped quite soon after arriving when it became clear we couldn't afford both rent and mortgage without a stable income which we didn't ahve yet but the children badly needed the security of roots, which came from having a house of our own. A year...that's is how long it took us to find a job that was a long term option and that paid enough for us for us to get by. I am lucky in that I like it. My house isn't the wanted I would ideally have wanted but it suits us for now.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Inspired Mr Gra, inspired:notworthy:

For a long time, SSP got a huge amount of stick for encouraging people to be realistic when coming. Guzzler suggested time and time again that to make being here work, you have to be prepared to try hard and be 100%. Muppetbro might have been unorthodox in his approach but he still encouraged people to throw away the rose tinted glasses.:confused:

Yep thanks Libby, I got a bit sick of being the "negative" one, when in fact all I was trying to do was get people to be realistic! Got fed up replying and people only quoting the posts of people still in the UK,(mainly because that was what they wanted to hear!)

Which is probably why I dont post as much anymore.

Excellent thread Gra...now why do they listen to you????????????:shocked:

Yep thanks Libby, I got a bit sick of being the "negative" one, when in fact all I was trying to do was get people to be realistic! Got fed up replying and people only quoting the posts of people still in the UK,(mainly because that was what they wanted to hear!)

Which is probably why I dont post as much anymore.

Excellent thread Gra...now why do they listen to you????????????:shocked:

Sarah, as always .........:notworthy: