Scary....Yet Exciting

Guest LOOBYLOO

Guest LOOBYLOO

We fly from Edinburgh to Adelaide on 28th Nov. Started the goodbyes already - I think every weekend is booked until we leave. Organised a big leaving party for 22nd Nov (wasn't sure about this but family/friends insisted!). Family have been great and very supportive. We have secured a rental in Aldinga Beach but have arranged a serviced apartment in the city for 2 nights to activate bank/sort furniture etc. Emailed schools and youngest son (8) has been allocated a place at Willunga PS. Willunga HS emailed back and we have to arrange a meeting when we arrive for middle son (12). Everything is falling into place.

We are all very positive about the move but some days I get the wobbles.....the goodbyes/missing family & friends/are the boys going to be Ok etc etc. I am sure this is normal.....is it?? :unsure:

Guest TC for short

You can probably expect the wobbles to grow into sheer terror! However, once you are in your own place with your own things around you & getting into the routine of school runs & work it all gets easier. Missing family & friends & the good things about Britain are the hardest. Make sure you buy a phone card (from most newagents & convenience stores) so you can phone home often & cheaply. Don't forget you'll arrive just in time for St Andrew's day - there's a Scottish shop on (I think) Marion Road though I've yet to go in there so I don't know what they sell, but I do know you can get guid haggis from a shop in the Central Market & their other outlet in the Burnside Mall. I've also seen Irn Bru here! You've probably realised there're a lot of Scots here. My wife's from North Queensferry/Falkirk & I lived in Perth for a few years. Oh & bring a wireless-enabled laptop with you in your luggage/hand luggage if you've got one. There're a lot of places where you can buy a coffee & get free access (you have to as for a code) and a fair amount of free/non-encrypted networks around. Good luck with the trip out!

TC

Guest LOOBYLOO

Thanks for your reply. We are bringing a laptop with us. Giving my parents a laptop with webcam (birthdays/Xmas pressie) but worry cos they can't work their DVD player!! I'm sure it will work out fine. Thanks again.

Enjoy your last few weeks and make some memories. We found the final few days flew by and on arrival here seem to have gone even faster. Can't believe we have been here over a month now.

Pete

Guest LOOBYLOO
Hi LoobyLoo - yep I feel your pain! we leave on 24th November. I think I have got from the scary bit to the sheer terror that was mentioned by someone in a reply to you.....infact cacking myself would be more descriptive!!! fingers crossed it'll all work out fine eh!?!

Wishing you good luck with your move. We fly out on 28th Nov and there's still so much to do.

We took the boys up to Loch Ness last weekend to have a last look round Scotland before we go. The scenery was amazing and felt quite emotional. I just keep thinking about the sunshine and the adventure that awaits us.

Guest LOOBYLOO

Thank you - I feel very emotional thinking about the party. It's a karaoke/disco so should be good fun (we all love to sing) but I am dreading the end of the night - better put waterproof mascara on!!

Guest fergie family

Hi Linda

I see that you are flying from Edinburgh to Adelaide. We did not think that there was many flights from Edinburgh, so we were going to travel down to London and then get a flight from there. But now think it will be less stressful flying from Edinburgh, can you tell me who you are flying with.

Susan

Looby: where you heading to when you get there? we are heading to Henley Beach for a while anyway. Most of our boxes are now packed - removers coming Thur/Fri. Tell you what though, we only get a 20kg baggage allowance, we are going to be SICK of the clothes we are standing in!!!!!!

Guest LOOBYLOO
Hi Linda

I see that you are flying from Edinburgh to Adelaide. We did not think that there was many flights from Edinburgh, so we were going to travel down to London and then get a flight from there. But now think it will be less stressful flying from Edinburgh, can you tell me who you are flying with.

Susan

Hi Susan

We are flying with Qantas. BA to Heathrow/Qantas to Singapore/Qantas to Adelaide. We used Hifx to transfer money and they sent an email with a contact no/password for Qantas. We got a discounted rate and 40kg baggage allowance. I hope this helps.

Guest LOOBYLOO
Looby: where you heading to when you get there? we are heading to Henley Beach for a while anyway. Most of our boxes are now packed - removers coming Thur/Fri. Tell you what though, we only get a 20kg baggage allowance, we are going to be SICK of the clothes we are standing in!!!!!!

Hi

We got 40kg baggage using Hifx contact.

We are staying in city for 2 nights and then heading to our rental in Aldinga Beach. We have to sort our furniture etc (our container will take 3 months) so loads to do when we get there but it will all be worth it.