Getting there...

Guest Libby1971

Guest Libby1971

Well, news update

Finally feeling a bit more settled now. The novelty has worn off and the shock of OAA has faded into memory. I won't say bad memories as we were sort of clear of what we could be getting - clean, basic, old, old, old, dated, not great area etc etc but it gave us somewhere to sleep without worrying too much.

We looked round all suburbs and then decided how far away from city we wanted to be. We chose an arc from Hallett Cove round Sheidow park, Morphett Vale, Happy Valley and Aberfoyle Park but also looked at Port Noarlunga. Our main conern with Port Noarlunga is that, I think, the older kids were sent by bus to a secondary school in Christie Downs and I didn't want that.

We chose to limit our spending on rent to $300 ish per week as we were pretty confident we could get something that would suffice for that. We have a 4 bed, 2 bathroom bungalow in a quiet cul de sac with a nice garden for that. The houses here are about 10-15 years old and it is a nice quiet place. We have views of the hills and can be at the beaches in 5-10 mins. Shops are handy especially in Old Reynella, which I love. The primary school is next door but one and we can watch our daughter playing at breaktime from our front drive.

We had probs with our money which was not forwarded onto our bank as we had planned. We arrived on the 20th, went to the bank on the Monday and had a fit when they had no idea why we were there! It took mroe than a week to get our money sorted which created stress on a massive scale and nearly sent me off to the travel agents in a huff to book a flight anywhere out of Oz!

A lovely lady called Karin who was on holiday here got in touch and we met her and her lovely family which really helped. Not only did we enjoy their company (I was ready to hit the OH with the first dented applicance that came to hand) but it was good to hear about the experiences of others going through similar things face to face. Methinks I made a new friend....

Australians can't drive. I warn you now. They indicate after they have changed lane, have no idea about space between vehicles, or speed. They use mobiles and generally drive you mad. Just as well they are so nice outside of their cars.

Australians also cannot make decent bread or at least not that I have found. I have found PGTips but can't remember where that was so am now reduced to cr*ppy tea which is making me irritable.

Australians can give you the time of day and will happily start a conversation up no matter where you are in order to share their enthusiasm for their country. They love Australia and want you to love it too.

They are incredibly helpful and will spend ages going through all sorts that they think you might like to visit, giving you directions.

Australians do know what it means to have a work life balance and so close up shops at 5pm on a Saturday afternoon. It drove me mad the first time I came across it but now I quite like it. It is part of the slower pace that I came here for so I am loving it.

Australians don't really give a hoot about what your house is like, or what car you drive etc. What matters is the type of person you are, not what you have and I find that refreshing. To have a value for being just me is wonderful.

They know how to be creative when building houses on what looks to me like a cliff face. Go to Flagstaff Hills if you want to see what I mean.

From anywhere in Adelaide CBD you can turn your head and see the hills which calms your spirit.

Their beaches stretch for miles and I have yet to see a sea so turquoise or beautiful anywhere else. Their land is beautiful and the hills/ views are stunning.

In short, Australia is one hell of a place to be and I am so glad I came.

The tears have started but we expected that. We are missing people but the emails help and keeping busy stops us dwelling on things.

If I can be of anymore help, PM me.

Looking forward to getting in touch with those that are here...

TO THE ASHTONS

I dropped the phone that had your details saved on it. I have now got your details again and will be in touch asap.

Love Libby

Guest donna T

That was a lovely post and one I can identify with - especially the driving - I have lost count of the number of times I flashed someone (WITH MY LIGHTS!) to let them out only to have them lookat me as if I was mad. I don't bother now!

This is a wonderfull area and I can't wait for the winter to be over (yes I know it has only just started!)

Thanks for taking the time to write it

Guest jen&ian

Hi Libby,

Funny I was only thinking we hadn't heard fom you for a while just yesterday. Glad to hear you are all doing O.K.:) only 5 more months for us which sounds like ages untill I think of everything we need to organise. Good luck with the teabag situation as I'll be there for a cuppa in October;)

Jen:D

Guest deb and stoo

Hi Libby

What a wonderful story....truly inspiring and one that includes both the highs and the lows which is the balance we're all looking for as we take this huge step.

Once again OAA mentioned and another person saying its more functional than luxurious, which gives us some more to think on, so thanks for that. The arc you described is exactly the one we're thinking of, and chosen from recommendations from people on here and people I've spoken to who've lived there, and not too far from the airport but far enough to avoid the noise etc.

I've heard about the Oz driving standards and the unusual ways they use their cars but 10 years going round the M25,especially on weekends, prepares you for just about anything and the sheer number of East European lorries to avoid adds to those defensive driving skills :(.

Which bank did you use in the Uk to transfer your funds into ? I've heard many good things about The Commonwealth Bank but some horror stories regarding HSBC, but I'm sure every case is different. We'll take your warning about tea and bread onboard and make sure we pack the breadmaker and take a lifetime's supply of the tea the monkeys drink;)and am really looking forward to their 'classless' attitude which is so refreshing, am sick of being looked down upon for the car I drive and the house I live in, as I think we're pretty nice people generally and don't deserve to be labeled the way we are in the UK,and I've heard about just how proud Australians are of their country,something that only seems to happen at World Cups or Cricket test's which is a real shame,I am English and proud of it, almost scared to say it sometimes:(.

The rest of your story sums up the reason why we want to go and the oppurtunities for the kids seem much greater and varied and can see us settling in though we do realise there will be tears and frustrations but thats the downside for a much better life.

Anyway I've rambled on much too long,as usual says Deb,best of luck for your future endeavours and you never know might bump into you soon.

:)

Stoo Deb & Boyz

Lovely to hear from you Libby. I am glad you have settled into the ozzie lifestyle so quickly, well done. Where are you actually renting? Which suburb? Did you secure the rental easily?

Good luck for the future, won't be long & I will be joining you all out there

Angela

Guest The Bowmans

Hi Libby

A great, inspiring post. It's great that Australia and the Aussies live up to your expectations (at least outside their cars!).

Keep up the good work posting and I hope you find some PG Tips soon!

Take care.

Deena:)

Guest bev_stef

Hi Libby

What a great post, It's great to hear you've settled in so quickly. I guess its inevitable, no matter how great Oz is and how good a time you're having the tears do startto come when you think of family and friends this side, but as you say email is great and maybe you will start getting visitors soon. It still makes us want to join you that end one day. Good luck with your continued enjoyment and keep us updated with how its all doing.

Good Luck with finding the tea.:)

Bev

Guest graandjac

:)Fab post just what we needed to hear ,nice of you to be honest which keeps our feet on the ground,every day we keep telling ourselves how hard it is going to be in preparation for the very hard times then anything better will be a bonus good luck in the comming months:)cheers Graham and Jacqui

Guest steph&neil

great to hear you are doing well! it has rained her for 2 days solid & it supposed to be almost spring - like you said at least you can still look at the turquoise water & the hills good luck with the search for tea bags (everything can be solved with a cuppa!)

keep us posted in your progress

I cant wait to get out (i will bring t-bags! if you put the kettle on!)

steph x :)

Guest Jane.Mason

Hi Libby

Was waiting for your first post from the other side. Say hi to the Ashton's for us. Glad to hear Australia is living up to expectations and that you are settling in ok.:)

Have you found work yet or have you not had time to look.

Take care and good luck.

Jane and Andi

Guest hayls

Hi Libby,

Just Thought I Would Drop U A Line To See If You Have Remembered Where You Saw The Pg Tips Yet As Im Dying Without Mine, My Mum Posted Me A Big Box Along With Some Alpen And Some Proper Chocolate But I Cant Keep Expecting Her To Send Them As It Makes For An Expensive Cuppa, But I Have Found One That Is Nearly As Good And That Is Liptons The Strong Ones, If You Do Remember Let Me Know. Cheers

Hayls

Guest Libby1971

Thanks for your kind words...

I KNOW I saw PGtips in the Lolly shop - there is one in Glenelg along Jetty Road and another one in Christies Beach on Beach Road. But I am sure I found some in a supermarket, possibly Coles although I think not or maybe Woolworths. I haven't been to either in a while or maybe Iga. I know I am going bonkers...I am going out shopping tomorrow. I am 36 and I AM going to have a decent cuppa on my birthday with the biggest slice of cake I can get!

On another note, my husband gave me my birthday present today...a 9 week old puppy I have named Alfie. He is a groodle (Golden Retriever x Poodle) and is quite the daftest thing I have ever seen! I have never had a puppy before so I am rather happy.

We are both teachers and the process for registering is slow...we went to an agency for cleaners which we thought would at least pay us something in the short term but were told off for having a short term outlook as we were not committed to the position of 'domestic assistant'. So that died a death. We have been looking for work and there is plenty of stuff around. Mining and engineering seem occupations with vacancies as does building. Judging from our house (we only have 1 section of carpet), carpet fitters would be welcomed. We are hoping to be working next week or the week after as cover teachers/ relief teachers but we will see. We brought enough money to live on for a while and I am sending some CVs off to some of the agencies listed in the yellow pages.

Now that the kids are settled, I feel I can concentrate on the job hunting. Before that I felt it wasn't worth it...I wouldn't have been able to concentrate on the job if they weren't sorted.

Libby

Guest The Ashtons

Hi Libby,

Glad to hear your settling in o.k. and all the good things about Adelaide outway the bad we have been here for nearly 3 months now and are enjoying it a lot. All the things we came out here for, more time with the family, Robert has ajob he finishes around 4p.m and is home for 4.30p.m. thats about 3 hours earlier than in the U.K.Billie is in school and getting settled she is making new BEST friends a new one every day thats girls for you.We are living in Greenwith as Roberts job is up here it made more sense to live near work.We bought bikes when we first arrived something we never did in the U.K. and enjoy cycling around all the local reserves at the weekend, bought tennis rackets etc making the most of the outdoor life.its great:D:D:D Hope to hear from you soon Jane Robert Billie

Guest Libby1971

I am glad you found the posting helpful.

We are renting in Sheidow Park, which, if you look at a map, is just east of Hallett Cove and slightly north of Reynella. I do like Reynella (nothing to do with the 4 vineyards which I am planning a visit to). I am busy trying to find a place to live there although to be honest, I am pretty happy anywhere in the southern suburbs...

We met a lady at a migrant arrival session who advised us to offer to pay a couple of months rental up front in order to secure the property as having no credit record would count against us. We offered to pay four months rent up front and did that. We had seen some truly dire properties...my personal favourite was the one where the garage had a rumpus room at the back that had been used as a tattoo parlour. All around the garden where chicken runs that still had chicken scented straw adn droppings. The piece de resistance was a fish tank that ahd been built into the lounge wall but which could also be seen when you opened the wardrobe of the master bedroom!!!!! So when we found this place, we were pleased. I admit, it isn't the sort of place I want long term but it is decent and a damn site better than what we were in. And for the budget we had I am very pleased.

Glad to see so many are offering me tea bags...I can be bribed! Drop me a line before you come and I guarantee to provide food if you provide the tea bags!!!!!!!!!! Seriously though, we are making a big move and for a lot of us, leaving friends and family far behind. I think it helps to have a few friendly faces around..if you fancy meeting a new one, please let me know.

Libby

Guest graandjac

Could'nt agree more Libby this is the biggest move many of us are ever going to make or have made so any friendly or understanding faces must be a great help:)hope all is going well

Graham & Jacqui

Guest dglamoore

Hi Libby

Nice to see you are settling and not that far from us. Now we both have homes and settled will give you a call ;)

I have seen pgtips but can't remember which supermarket it was in - will pick you a box up if I see them again. We have a breadmaker so you will have to come round for a sarnie :o along with a glass of wine of course :D

Lisa:cool: