Trick or treating

laura girling

HI,

Does anyone know if people go trick or treating here?

I myself don't like it as it seems like kids begging, but my friend in the UK is Irish and its always been a big deal every year the kids go trick or treating and then have a party, so my kids are used to doing it.

Whats the deal here as I don't want to get the kids all excited to get the door shut in their faces.

Laura xxx

Guest xhaylesx

Hi Laura, I would like to know too.

Halloween was always small for us, apart from maybe a party at brownies or something, until I married an Irishman then we showed the whole town how it was done, I have been thinking of all the people that will be coming to gatecrash my old house tonight not knowing we have moved, my poor new homeowners:wacko:

I completely forgot about it this year, until this morning. must go get some sweeties just in case we get any callers. My kids funnily enough dont seem bothered as its not being talked about at school or with their friends.

Yeah not widespread, you get it more in some neighbourhoods than others. Generally not a big thing. You might get kids on their way home from school trying their luck, i think in general unless the people in the neighbourhood are well known most parents don't like the idea of their kids knocking on strangers' doors. probably better to organise a party if it's a big thing in your family.

Hi, I live in Seaford and had a couple of door knockers last year. It's not a big thing over here but you do see the odd kid or two wandering the streets all dressed up. I feel if they have made an effort to dress up good then I will give a money donation but if they aren't that good, I give them sweets.

There's not much left in the way of Halloween stuff in Cheap as Chips - glad we bought ours 2 weeks ago ready for our party! :P

I set up a mini graveyard in the front yard, decorated the window, carved a pumpkin and have a bowl of candy next to the door but have no idea who if anyone will come, as I haven't seen loads of kids around. I miss all the festivities back home. Halloween was always such a fun and magical time of year. It's not kids begging when the event is so ingrained in the culture.

We are having a Halloween Party tonight for the kids. The garage has been completely decorated, thanks to my Mum who bought lots of decorations over from the Uk a few weeks ago. It looks really spooky and creepy. Brandon and Nicole think it looks really cool. We won't be going trick or treating though. We have lots of games planned for them and we have a spooky CD to play. Wish me luck though because Nicole has come home from School each day this week telling me she has invited another child. I wait to see how many turn up!. Hubby is incharge of the BBQ, I might just start on the wine now.:jiggy:

okay then,

ill be around with my 9 kids in a minute!!!

only joking, have a great time.

thanks for all your replies we are going to watch a spooky movie and we have a few treats for my 3 children and some incase anyone was braver than me to go out trick or treating lol

happy halloween, harry potter here we come.

laura xxx

We are having a Halloween Party tonight for the kids. The garage has been completely decorated, thanks to my Mum who bought lots of decorations over from the Uk a few weeks ago. It looks really spooky and creepy. Brandon and Nicole think it looks really cool. We won't be going trick or treating though. We have lots of games planned for them and we have a spooky CD to play. Wish me luck though because Nicole has come home from School each day this week telling me she has invited another child. I wait to see how many turn up!. Hubby is incharge of the BBQ, I might just start on the wine now.:jiggy:

Its our first Halloween here, Jordan dressed up like a Werewolf and went trick or treating with his friends, whilst I was standing from afar to watch. Not may opened their doors, some did and he got some sweets, some money and a coke, he was well pleased that he's got his sweets. I thought it would be really big here as they are very Americanised here. It's a shame for the kids from the UK who have been used to it, perhaps next year I will throw a party instead.

Lynn

We went out trick or treating, had about 10 kids all together, split into two groups, all seemed fine, came back with loads of sweets and some cash( Which i took for safe keeping you understand) My daughters best friend had never done it before , she enjoyed dressing up as a witch, the folks of Port Willunga were more than happy to hand over their hard earned chocolate!

Simon( Still trying to remove the green facepaint).

Glad to see to see i'll be able to do something with Alicia next year. I was working on hallowen (and no i'm not a witch) and she was going to her dads. Bought her an outfit, took it round thinking he could maybe pop round to his brothers and maybe a couple of people he new. To cut a long story short he refused point blank and said he was not taking her on the scrounge :arghh: (my fault, i should have checked first i know, just thought going to a couple of people he new and even taking sweets himself wouldn't do any harm).

I can't even explain how upset i was then having to go into work and having to leave her crying her eyes out :(. All she wanted to do was spend her last halloween in the U.K with her dad doing something nice. Better stop going on now, something special will have to be done next year i think.