Remember, Remember the 5th of November!!

cormcvcr

Hi all,

just thought I would ask.....is there any kind of fireworks display for the 5th November?

The main reason that I ask is my gorgeous girl will be 7 years old and has enjoyed fireworks and a bbq every year for her birthday and this is something that she would love to be kept going...or will we have to settle for sparklers and a bbq instead?

Any help on this matter would be great.

Guest Libby1971

Firework displays are not really done here, possibly because it is the wrong season. Last New Years Eve, firework displays were being cancelled because of the dry conditions adn the risk of fire.

Sorry but I think a BBQ and sparklers it is.

That's a shame, she is going to be really disappointed.....when we were in Scotland we had fireworks, bbq and she loved it....she thought every firework she seen was everybody celebrating her birthday.

Oh well, we'll just have to do our best to make it every bit as special for her. after all we are not in Scotland anymore.....I had even thought of going into the local Police Station and asking them if we could perhaps have permission to have a couple of things going bang in the night.....but as the OH mentioned, we need to be able to buy them in the first place!

Guest Guest75

Not a thing I'm afraid - mainly due to the fire ban.

Plus a lot of Aussies would enjoy the houses of parliament blown up I'm sure:D:D

Here is a quote by someone in a Usenet group.................

The British must be the most hypocritical nation on earth. They spent

364 days a year condemning and complaining about acts of religious

terrorism and then on 5th November celebrate such an act that took

place three and a half centuries ago.

I suggest you should bring things up to date a little to make it more

realistic for the kids. Get your children to build a cardboard model

of the World Trade Centre and fly model aeroplanes loaded with

explosives at it. First one to score two direct hits gets a hot dog,

Kinda brings history alive doesn't it!

Guest caoimhe
....when we were in Scotland we had fireworks, bbq and she loved it....she thought every firework she seen was everybody celebrating her birthday.

It's my sons birthday on St Patricks day so next year he will be wondering why he is not off school on his birthday and why there is NO parade for him:biglaugh:

:D

Here is a quote by someone in a Usenet group.................

The British must be the most hypocritical nation on earth. They spent

364 days a year condemning and complaining about acts of religious

terrorism and then on 5th November celebrate such an act that took

place three and a half centuries ago.

I don't think the British are hypocritical at all because the 5th of November is a celebration that the Houses Of Parliament were NOT blown up. Remember we burn the Guy (being Guy Fawkes the terrorist). In a modern context that would be like burning Osama Bin Laden (if we could ever catch the bugger!!).

Guest Guest75
I don't think the British are hypocritical at all because the 5th of November is a celebration that the Houses Of Parliament were NOT blown up. Remember we burn the Guy (being Guy Fawkes the terrorist). In a modern context that would be like burning Osama Bin Laden (if we could ever catch the bugger!!).

Bet that quote is from a Yank.

Just wanted to show different countries perceptions:)

Keep an eye out in around July time - there is a fantastic bonfire party with fireworks held up in the hills at Mylor then - hot pumpkin soup, huge fire, kids toasting marhsmallows and fantastic fireworks. Just like Guy Fawkes night in the UK, but not during fire season!

Diane

Keep an eye out in around July time - there is a fantastic bonfire party with fireworks held up in the hills at Mylor then - hot pumpkin soup, huge fire, kids toasting marhsmallows and fantastic fireworks. Just like Guy Fawkes night in the UK, but not during fire season!

Diane

That sounds like fun Diane. I miss the fireworks - haven't seen any for years! :mad: Not since I last went back to the UK for that matter. You do hear the odd firework go off but displays must have a licence here so there aren't many due to the fire restrictions. Even the annual fireworks event in Adelaide got canned because SAFM stopped sponsoring it.

Guest dale_jo@

WOULDN`T THE WORLD BE A BETTER PLACE IF WE COULD!!!!!:wubclub:

Guest katsmajic

My daughters really excited about her birthday next year...as her new head pointed out to her - its on Australia Day - shel never work or go to school on her birthday again and everyone will be celebrating with her!

What Australia really lacks is a festival of it's own that happens in the winter.

I know the South Australian winter is a lot shorter and a lot less gloomy than the UK one, but even so there isn't much to cheer it up. All the major excuses for a party - Halloween, Bonfire Night, Christmas, New Years Eve, Chinese New Year, Burns Night, Valentines, St Patricks Day, all occur in the Northern hemisphere winter, and help to keep us cheerful when it's so miserable outside.

There isn't an equivalent big party in the Australian winter to lift spirits. Australia Day is in the middle of the summer. My husband can remember when he was a child that the Queens Birthday public holiday in June was a kind of bonfire night, with fireworks on sale, but then of course they got banned and there is probably little enthusaism in Oz for the Queens Birthday these days. I can remember going to a "Christmas in June" evening at Grange Surf Club, where we had a full Christmas dinner and my OH was even roped in to dress up as Father Christmas ! However these attempts at a winter party seem to lack a certain amount of originality and Australian-ness.

Australia needs it own winter festival. Even soccer is played in the summer. The only thing to cheer up the winter is the footie!!

Guest the staffords

well said...thankyou anne:D

Even soccer is played in the summer.

Not for the kids it's not! I was thinking this morning that I quite miss my weekend soccer-spectating in the summer here - although daughter has just started a summer soccer skills training course, and son is playing indoor 5-a-side so have to make do with that!

Michelle, We've been up to the Mylor fesitivities for the last two years, it's great and the people up there are really friendly - got a friend who lives in Bridgewater that keeps an eye out for signs for us, but if I remember, when I hear about the date next year I'll post it up here - sometimes it's even cold enough for gloves and hats!