where can i go to see dolphins ?

Guest dibdobs

Guest dibdobs

Is there anywhere i am likely to see dolphins from the shore?

I have 3 young boys with me so a boat trip is out of the question. It would really make my holiday if i could get a glimpse of a dolphin. (even from a distance)

Thanks

Deb

Guest Rob and Clare

Go to the quays at Port Adelaide, have a coffee and pancake at the pancake cafe and you will see some.

If your still here sunday and I appreciate it's not from the shore, go on the dolphin cruise, 2 hours up the river $3.50 each, and you'll see half a dozen or more, leave about 11:00am i think and again at 1:30....someone may know for certain.

Guest katsmajic

Hiya, you should have said on Sat, we see dolphins off Moana/Seaford beach all the time...ok were down there quite alot with the kids and dog but the dolphins are usually hanging around.

You want a calm day where the sea is like a pond...easy to see them then.

Guest dunnarunna

me and a friend were walking along brighton beach last week and saw about 6, i was told you often see them there but was quite suprised to see that many at once. as kat says the sea was very calm that day.

donna

Guest guest569
Go to the quays at Port Adelaide, have a coffee and pancake at the pancake cafe and you will see some.

If your still here sunday and I appreciate it's not from the shore, go on the dolphin cruise, 2 hours up the river $3.50 each, and you'll see half a dozen or more, leave about 11:00am i think and again at 1:30....someone may know for certain.

Weve been on the cruise 3 times now and never seen a dolphin until on the last time when we were just docking back in the quay was full of them. There's a nice pub over the other side to have a drink and something to eat. I think its called " The Birkenhead Hotel"

Have a walk down to Hallett Cove Beach or on the board walk, you may be lucky to see them from there.

We were out in the boat last week just off the shore and no kidding there must have been about 7 different pods of them. :jiggy:

Very Exciting!!

Judi x

• 1 month later...

The public gets confused... shark or dolphin??

Easiest way to tell is that a shark fin will pop out of the water... travel along for a bit... then go back under the water again. Whereas a dolphin will 'arc' out of the water (i.e. gradually come out of the water and then gradually go back under again).

Just thought I should clear that up before you swim with the wrong thing!

As I am with Surf Rescue we have the opportunity (qualifications permitting) to ride on the Westpac Helicopter and Lifesaver boats... as well as the smaller IRBs (Inflatable Rescue Boats). One of the helicopter's main uses is to look out for sharks... although dolphins are spotted too... even in pods! Over my time I have been on one of the Lifesaver boats (Lifesaver 3) which travels through Glenelg. On the Glenelg reef we regualrily see the beautiful creatures. I've also swam with one at Christies Beach a week or two ago. Hallett Cove is a good spot, as is West Beach too.

Try contacting the local fisheries office (search Google) and see if they can help you out!

But remember: with dolphins, comes sharks!

i saw one at Noarlunga beach only 3 meters away from me.

and one day we drove up to Port Adelaide but that bit further to the dolphin sanctuaries and saw one there as well.

we had no luck with the cruise so. we tried twice but both days there were no cruises - so if possible phone ahead!

Went down to Port Willunga beach yesterday , from the headland saw a bloody big shark, black about 8 ft long, heading towards the reef, then later 2 dolphins came right into the shallows and another 5 were a bit further out, wonderful stuff, made me go all soft!!!!Not to happy about the shark, although one of the kids said it was a reef shark and not to be worried about them:wideyedxmas:.

Simon(Growing a festive beard to frighten the children):wisemanxmas:

Guest IAmJacks...

We drove over to Garden Island and saw about 3 from the jetty there. You can pick up leaflets from the tourist info places showing you the dolphin hotspots. Good luck!

Guest graandjac

Just to confuse things....you can often see them off granite Island down at Victor Harbor,i have seen seals there every time we go aswell. although its just a case of you can see dolphins everywhere it just comes down to timing.....or luck.....good luck :emoticon-signxmas: