A minor miracle

The Monaghans

Those of you who have read my previous posts will know that our daughter has a real problem with dogs and that we bought a puppy to try and bring her round. Well, the first few days were disasterous, and the following weeks were difficult to say the least. We weren't allowed to let Trevor into the house until Hattie was safely in bed at night. Even yesterday she refused to leave the house to go and see Judi's new dog Scamp who was safely locked away in her car and is the most gentle and docile pup I've ever seen. But today? Well today I've had the incredible pleasure of watching my daughter chasing her puppy all around the house and laughing her head off as they wrestled on the floor together. She's played tug-o-war with him, fed him treats and smothered him in kisses. I can't describe how fantastic it is to see her smiling and happy with her dog and how relaxed she is around him. She's incredibly proud of herself and we're unbelievably proud of her. I know we've still got a long way to go, she's probably still frightened of other dogs but hopefully confidence in her own dog will eventually lead to confidence with other dogs. I don't know what's brought about this sudden change but I tell you, I can't stop smiling right now!:v_SPIN:

Sounds great - am hoping I can perform the same miracle on my OH!! LOL (He is still to be convinced about our four-legged friends after a couple of 'incidents' from the past...

What kind of dog did you get? And what did Judy get? Have not decided on a breed myself yet, so am open to suggestions/recommendations.

39_3_4.gif

(For Hattie)

Well Done Sweetie!!

Ahhhh, I'm made up for you Liz

Rachel, I'll take a pic of my Scamp over the weekend and put it on a post. He deserves some fame after spending some time at the RSPCA.

Judi x

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZNxuk137YYGB

Sounds great - am hoping I can perform the same miracle on my OH!! LOL (He is still to be convinced about our four-legged friends after a couple of 'incidents' from the past...

What kind of dog did you get? And what did Judy get? Have not decided on a breed myself yet, so am open to suggestions/recommendations.

We got a border collie, they're supposed to be the most intelligent breed of dog but looks like we got the village idiot! Only joking, he's pretty smart and very full of beans!

Judi's Scamp looks like a bit of a mixed bag but soooo cute! Those of you with toddlers might remember a programme on CBeebies called Come Outside. Well Scamp is the double of Pippin, Aunty Mabel's dog!

Guest happy feet

Hi Liz,

I have the same problems with my daughter, Erin is 7 and is petrified of dogs.. Down to me i'm afraid, i am also scared of all dogs big and small and passed this on, but Erin is far worse than me.. We can't go to parks, thebeach, walks, friends houses that have dogs... She will scream the place down if a dog comes within a mile of her. Could be standing on the footy pitch and she will see a dog over the over side, even on a lead andshe will start crying and shaking.. Like you i have thought about getting a dog, but till we get over no point, but your story has certainly given me room for thought!!!!

Well done

Cara

Guest ozzy wannabe

Hello

We too have a new addition to the family a 10 week old pup called Lola who is a Cav King Charles Spaniel. After talking to the local vet and research on the internet we soon discovered that this beed is ideal for young familys. You can go on a website and put in details like how much time you will be at home, how much you can afford each week, how much time you want to spend grooming etc etc then it tells you what type of breed is best suited. My Youngest was like Hattie very nervous aroung dogs but having a very small pup (Lola was the runt of the litter) has made her feel confident. I have the breeders details if anyone is interested as I know they have other puppies that will be ready soon:wubclub:

Hi Liz,

I have the same problems with my daughter, Erin is 7 and is petrified of dogs.. Down to me i'm afraid, i am also scared of all dogs big and small and passed this on, but Erin is far worse than me.. We can't go to parks, thebeach, walks, friends houses that have dogs... She will scream the place down if a dog comes within a mile of her. Could be standing on the footy pitch and she will see a dog over the over side, even on a lead andshe will start crying and shaking.. Like you i have thought about getting a dog, but till we get over no point, but your story has certainly given me room for thought!!!!

Well done

Cara

Hi Cara,

So sorry to hear you're going through the same thing. It really is too much when it affects your child's life so much. We knew when Hattie started refusing to go to the park that we had to do something. It didn't work out as we planned straight away but hopefully now we're getting there. Hopefully when you get over here you can take steps to try and get Erin used to dogs, if there's anything I can do to help just ask.

All the best

Well done! Nowt wrong with a healthy wariness of our 4 legged friends!!!! She will get there...............but i must say, my Esther shoves her face into the muzzle of devil dogs, alsations and other vicious creatures..............but not boys, yet, thankfully:biglaugh:; oh for a little restaint.......and befor Pete has a go, i tried duct tape:biglaugh:

Good luck with her conversion!

Lib, I don't think she'll EVER be ready for Alfie!

Its great news for you all Liz. And in all honestly Alfie was fine with Max, they are so alike in looks/ways (definitely the poodle in them both) with the exception that Alfie is 5 times bigger...........he really is a gentle giant :).

Do make sure you take the pup to training classes. As you say, a very intelligent breed, but that means also easily bored. We took ours for about three years, and she still could do with going more. They are really cute and cuddly as pups but also their intelligence means they will try and work their way up the pack as they get older, so make sure your daughter is also "trained" in ways of demonstrating that the dog is below her in the pecking order (a good dog trainer will be able to advise exactly how). Our Border Collie is fantastic with kids, but I still would not leave her alone with anyone under 7 - she's never done a thing to a child, but the dogs are very quick and if they react to something, and a child is in the way, they don't give a lot of warning! The books will tell you that a border collie is not really an ideal breed for small kids - ours were 7 and 9 when we got her, and it's only now, about four years later, that my son has learnt how to assert himself with her!