Flies help please !!!!

Guest massive

Guest massive

OK no funny comments please,

We have just come back from a lovely afternoon on the beach apart from the flies !!!!!,

we have used the insect sprays but it makes no difference . We spent half the time looking at everyone else and they were either not bothered (no flapping arms etc) or they just weren't being attacked . The same thing happened at the park .

Can anyone recommend any sprays that actually work .:arghh:

I'm with you on that one, we tried the tropical strength spray then tried off, nothing worked!

I brought some spray oil with me from avon as it was supposed to be good for the midges and so far so good.

I will keep you posted on that one and try it out again before a full recommendation.

Short of having hanging citronella candles from every available area, I don't really think there is that much that we can do......except practice our Australian Wave!

Obviously, you and yours are sweet; hence the fly invasion!:)

Seriously though, i use a camping "mosigo", it's a coil of insect repellent that you set a light to; and of course, i smoke (dirty creature), but am giving up on the flight for all the anti-smoking fascists!; that seems to deter the horrid little buggers...........

There is really only one cure for those god damn flies, its the Avon spray mentioned earlier. It is just a spray moisturizer for old women!! STINKS. Somebody once discovered it is the best fly repellant ever used and now AVON have re branded their moisturizer as an insect repellant! How bizzarre.

Not sure you even get AVON in Aus but ill be stocking up before I come over, you'll smell me a mile off.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I find tea tree oil keeps them off a bit, you have to keep re applying but at least it is not full of sh****

I had one up nose the other day I had to do a japanese nose blow it get it out!

Guest massive

Thanks everyone

Glad to read its not just us then my hubbies ears devo take a battering and its my nose they go for (i suppose there the first things they come to when they reach our body space). I will be skypein back to my sister to get that avon stuff if anyone knows the name that would be great.

I will let hubby know that his possible suggestions to stop washing and start stinking may help

Thanks again

Debbie

Hi All,

I am doing Avon over here so if anyone wants to get hold of the product send me a pm - it is particularly effective against mossies and the QLDers swear by it. The best way to do it is not to buy the moisturiser or sun lotion which contains it (they are quite small quantities) but to buy the bath oil and make it up in a spray bottle - one half water and one half oil. Have been selling a lot of this already this summer.

This is what the guys use up at the mines. Its fantastic as I slap it on when taking Scamp out for his walks, the flies aviod my face but unfortunatly land on my sunnies, will have to smear them next, urghhhh.

Nature's Botanical

Rosemary & Cedarwood Oils in Natural Creme

"Desert Dwellers"

Apparently made in Alice Spings and you can buy it at Health Food/Organic stores. But if you can't find it use Rosemary and Cedarwood oil in a spritz.

Judi x

Guest massive

Thanks beanbear and roo will try both in desperation. Beanbear are you going to the henley beach meet on sat 15th nov if you are you should take a load you'ld make a fortune .

debbie

Perhuw, Denise:biglaugh:

Buy some for e would you? Can't get an avon rep round here, no bugger answers the door in case its the rozzers/rentman/ bailiffs.....................

I think Ill be bringing a case load and open my own business selling smelly old bids fly repellant!

Ill have a shed on the beach, fly free of course

• 4 years later...
Guest Rachael M Bowen
OK no funny comments please,

We have just come back from a lovely afternoon on the beach apart from the flies !!!!!,

we have used the insect sprays but it makes no difference . We spent half the time looking at everyone else and they were either not bothered (no flapping arms etc) or they just weren't being attacked . The same thing happened at the park .

Can anyone recommend any sprays that actually work .:arghh:

this could be a Blue Peter moment..... may be worth ago, it was posted by a fellow OT based in Adelaide so may work?

Have you noticed the Mosquitos are already out! Here is a homemade trap to help keep you and the kiddos from be...ing a blood donor!!!

HOMEMADE MOSQUITO TRAP:

Items needed:

1 cup of water

1/4 cup of brown sugar

1 gram of yeast

1 2-liter bottle

HOW:

1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.

2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.

3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.

4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.

5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)

Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.

65666_578918978795947_1237932318_n.jpg

Edited by Rachael M Bowen
added pictures

Not sure about the personal sprays because I never used them.I also don't use house fly sprays.If it kills insects,and you breathe it in????lol I use the sticky back paper stuff!Works a treat too!Nothing more satisfying than watching a fly/mozzie land on it and then can't get off!I also burn citronella incense,really good outside and cheap to buy as well.Make sure you are well hydrated too.Drink loads of water,and you will sweat less.Less sweat = less flies lol

Classic advert lol.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcO2UlIMkpo

Edited by Lily Rainbow

Does anyone know the name of the Avon product that has been mentioned?

Yes I do.

Sorry,just being daft...............

Skin So Soft. This is the one that works against Mozzies. As used by the SAS apparently!