Well, we made it!!!

Guest caoimhe

Guest caoimhe

It really has been a crazy few weeks, firstly the 6 of us stayed in my dad's 2 bed apartment for 2 weeks after selling our home. That was pretty stressful in it's self but at least we had somewhere to go, thankfully my Dad was over here on holiday.

Trying to tie up your life in a country is very hard and I would recommend to any one to organise as much as possible beforehand as I think we were so afraid the sale of the house would fall through there was a lot of things we left to the last minute.

Saying goodbye to family and friends was awful, leaving my only sister was one of the worst things I think I have ever done in my life, she literally collapsed in my arms at the airport. She had been amzing up till then and has made me promise never to return permantely to the UK as she knows it's a better life here for my kids even though she is breaking her heart. Our families on both sides have always been supportive so I know we have been lucky, they all know why we are doing this and wish they all had the guts to do it but when it came to the goodbyes I felt guilty of hurting them all. When you see your family and freinds in 'that state' and know you have been the cause of it, its really hard. Waiting in Heathrow to board the flight to Singapore I couldn't stop crying I felt really terrified, if Stephen had of suggested returning to Belfast I would have went, but thankfully not.

The journey was very very long but the kids were great. We only had 5hrs in Singapore so went swimming which really cheered them up. Piece of advice, Singapore airport is massive we didn't realise how far the gate was and were the last one's on board and got told off by ground staff:realmad:

We had a great wecome here, My Dad (still here on holiday), My Uncle, 2 Aunts and 3 cousins, so it was great especially for the boys.

At present we are staying with my aunt until we get a rental so I know we are very lucky. We have done the usual stuff like sorting out Medicare and TFN and Stephen can't get over how friendly and helpful people are especially the government officals very unlike home.

Getting over the triedness has been hard, we arrived Tuesday and I thnk today is the first day I feel human.

Looking forward to meeting some PIA people once we get settled

Regards Jacqui

Guest happy feet

Hi Jacqui,

Noticed you hadn't been around for a while, but have seen all you ups and downs on here. So glad you have finally made it for you, OH and boys. Must have been great to have dad and family at airport.. Good luck with the rest of your journey and might catch up when i get there.

Cara

Guest Aussie pat

Hi Jacqui,

We arrived Thurs a week ago and can identify with a lot of what you've said. Do you think the rain followed us over? Have just had to buy a brollie!

All the best

Hedy

Guest kenmcfadyen

Welcome to Adelaide! As AussiePat has said, I think you have brought the weather with you. The Australians keep saying how much they need the rain, and the ground is so parched that they are right, however, after living in Scotland I think I have my share of rain and I can imagine you might feel the way about Belfast!

I can really associate with what your husband says about the friendliness of people, it really puts a lot of the UK service industries to shame!

Hope you settle in quickly and really enjoy being here - the weather is forecast for 30C on Thursday and everything seems better in the sunshine!

Ken

Blimey Jac I didn't even know you'd booked your flight let alone made the trip. Fantastic!!!! So its you we have to thank for bringing the weather over with you. I shoukld have known.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Welcome to wet ol' Adelaide and look forward to meeting up soon.

Pete

Guest graandjac

:)Glad to hear you arrived safe and well, dont rush around to much.....it will come together, and dont be surprised if the jet lag takes a week or two untill you feel 100%, good luck and no doubt we will bump into you soon.

GBood post. Welcome to Adelaide. hopde you settle in quickly, it's lovely here and the folks are so friendly, got time to say hello and ask how you are etc... Look forward to meeting you all at one of the gatherings.

Guest Cunnah97
It really has been a crazy few weeks, firstly the 6 of us stayed in my dad's 2 bed apartment for 2 weeks after selling our home. That was pretty stressful in it's self but at least we had somewhere to go, thankfully my Dad was over here on holiday.

Trying to tie up your life in a country is very hard and I would recommend to any one to organise as much as possible beforehand as I think we were so afraid the sale of the house would fall through there was a lot of things we left to the last minute.

Saying goodbye to family and friends was awful, leaving my only sister was one of the worst things I think I have ever done in my life, she literally collapsed in my arms at the airport. She had been amzing up till then and has made me promise never to return permantely to the UK as she knows it's a better life here for my kids even though she is breaking her heart. Our families on both sides have always been supportive so I know we have been lucky, they all know why we are doing this and wish they all had the guts to do it but when it came to the goodbyes I felt guilty of hurting them all. When you see your family and freinds in 'that state' and know you have been the cause of it, its really hard. Waiting in Heathrow to board the flight to Singapore I couldn't stop crying I felt really terrified, if Stephen had of suggested returning to Belfast I would have went, but thankfully not.

The journey was very very long but the kids were great. We only had 5hrs in Singapore so went swimming which really cheered them up. Piece of advice, Singapore airport is massive we didn't realise how far the gate was and were the last one's on board and got told off by ground staff:realmad:

We had a great wecome here, My Dad (still here on holiday), My Uncle, 2 Aunts and 3 cousins, so it was great especially for the boys.

At present we are staying with my aunt until we get a rental so I know we are very lucky. We have done the usual stuff like sorting out Medicare and TFN and Stephen can't get over how friendly and helpful people are especially the government officals very unlike home.

Getting over the triedness has been hard, we arrived Tuesday and I thnk today is the first day I feel human.

Looking forward to meeting some PIA people once we get settled

Regards Jacqui

Wow Jacqui....as i don't seem to go on PIA that much now i had NO idea that you were this far down the line...you are here!!!!

well done!!

Where are you planning on settling?

What do you think so far?

Yes i agree with 4 young kids the journey from the UK just seems to go on and on and on...forever!

Also i know exactly what you mean when you say that the goodbyes are the hardest thing you can imagine doing(although i do appreciate that this is not the case for everybody BUT for me it was horrendous)...Having said that time is a healer and you do get over it ....internet/webcams and telephones are a great invention!

By the way i am on my 11 year olds account...my own "cunnah10" account no longer works for me... so i apologise if you have left me any messages on it over the last few months..and thought i was just being dam right rude ignoring them (as a few people have done apparently)

Great to hear from you from the otherside!

Gill

welcome to adelaide !!!

as rachiegarlo says stop for a minute and take it all in and enjoy before the hunts start for cars, houses possibly work and possibly furniture - we have been her 1 month tomorrow and are still running about mad doing things but we took the advice of someone who had said relax for the first few days and i am so glad that we did.

enjoy

sjs

Guest Pesky Varmit

Cead Mile Failte from us too - was wondering when you'd pop back onto PIA!

Glad to hear you made it in one piece - catch up with you soon when you are over the jet-lag! :SLEEP::SLEEP:

Guest Martin and Val

Hi Jacqueline, Stephen, Matthew, Ethan, Conall and Liam,

Sorry we missed this post. A big welcome to Adelaide and we hope you settle in and soon call it home.:)

Good luck with the house hunting.

Martin and Val

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lulujim

Hi - I was offline for quite a while with reccie and then moving house - just seen this by chance. Last time I checked you hadn't exchanged - time flies.

So glad to hear you're in SA and all went well with house sale - hope you're enjoying it and settling in.

Take care :emoticon-signxmas:

Guest the4hopes

I had no idea you had sold, so to know you are is now was a big surprise. Welcome, all of you. I agree with you about thinking the house sale would fall through. We put off doing everything till the last minute because we could not believe it was happening, even not saying goodbye to many people, or even telling them we were going!! Ooooops!! Oh well we are here now, still hasn't sank in either.

Hopefully you will be a the next meet up.

Laura x

Guest Nicky&Andy

:smilexmas:great to hear the sale went ok and youve finally arrived, cant wait till its our turn with our 4 boys, bet they are loving the outside space already.

merry christmas to all of you and best wishes for the new year

Only just found this post, glad to see you all arrived safe and well in Adelaide, wont be long now until you feel settled. I am also dreading the goodbyes like most people, putting it to the back of my mind for now, anyway got everything else to worry about before that. Take care and hope your first christmas in Adelaide is a happy one.

Jo x:emoticon-signxmas:

Hello and welcome to Adelaide. How lovely having relatives here to help you feel settled. Hope the house hunting etc all goes smoothly for you and that you all have a great Christmas.